Are you personally worried about getting the Coronavirus?

Are you personally worried about catching the Coronavirus?

• Yes

Votes: 41 41.0%
  • No

Votes: 59 59.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is what I was trying to get across. Some people think if you have a preexisting ailment you can't die of COVID. Some just want to spin things to meet their liking. There's always going to be the the TK's of the world. Don't get me wrong because their should be those people but some just carry it to far.
What's funny is a big percentage of people do have pre existing conditions. High cholesterol, high blood pressure, diabetes. Most of those conditions can be lived with for a long time. Then they get COVID and die and people want to act like the high cholesterol killed them.

After Trump yesterday said they will disband the Covid 19 task force it had all the sights and sounds of giving up or thinking it is over, you dont actually win in this type of thing when so many are dead and seriously affected. It also has the sights and sounds of George W. Bush so prematurely standing on the aircraft carrier deck with the "Mission Accomplished" sign behind him saying "We did it and it is over."

Today Trump again for about the millionth time walks back his decision/or statement and says something like the task force will still be working. The prez hasn't gotten anything accomplished in nearly 3 1/2 years so why would we expect anything working well here.

I thought this passage was really strong "They (Repub leaders) actually seem to have actually stopped trying to fight it with the required urgency.Releasing a triumphant and militaristic campaign ad Tuesday that paints his virus response as unfailingly effective, Trump all but declared victory over the ongoing pandemic. He clearly wants to look like a wartime president, and a winning one. He is neither."
leadership2.jpg

I think it is interesting that the experts are asked something like "do you think covid will come back in the fall?" Yet the viral spread and number of infections hasnt gone away yet. The level has stayed at 25K new confirmed cases each day for a month. The top 3 states for total infections, NY, NJ, MA, have been cooling down with less and less cases per day for 10 days or so yet the overall US avg is staying the same so the other 47 states are seeing a lot more in infection numbers.

Dr. Gottleib the former FDA director just said that real infections are probably 10-20 times the number of confirmed tested cases of average of 25,000 each day. He says there still might be a very high level of infectious people thru the summer that will spark a comeback in higher infections in Sept and on.

Unlike SARS 1 which made more people sick percentage wise but people were not infectious until they showed symptoms and SARS 1 spread cut be shut down easier the current Covid SARS 2 is infectious from early on even with the high level of asymptomatic people which makes the spread much harder to stop yet much smaller percentage get seriously ill.

According to his podcast he will probably be locking this down soon.

I hope he doesn't, because at least everything is contained to 1 thread and people can choose whether to open it or not.

Your second sentence has merit as one thread for a central post location. But at the same time we have discussed many angles of the actual medical and social aspects of this pandemic. Right now the new milestones will be therapeutics/cures, vaccine news, hotspots coming and going, the economic activity, will schools be open in August-Sept, will there be a second wave.

More crazy people.......

"OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) -- Authorities in Oklahoma say two McDonald's employees were shot by a customer who was angry that the restaurant's sit-down dining area was closed because of the coronavirus pandemic.

Oklahoma City police say one employee was shot in the shoulder and another was shot in the arm. Both are expected to recover.

A third employee suffered a head injury during the altercation Wednesday night.

Police say a suspect is in custody.

McDonald's says the safety and security of employees and customers is its top priority.

The shooting comes amid tensions over restrictions because of efforts to curb the coronavirus pandemic that have escalated into violence elsewhere in the country."

One caveat, as of today the rate of testing in the U.S. (24,210 per million) is almost twice as much as South Korea (12,666 per million). South Korea did do a great job of containing the virus early but it will be interesting to see how they do next year if their herd immunity is much lower than the EU or U.S..

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
The caveat is because it was mishandled and ignored early that it's spread so much it has required us to do a lot more tests. If we could have gotten in front of it instead of chasing it it would be a different story IMO. I agree it will be interesting to watch SK in the future, hopefully they can ride it long enough for a vaccine and minimize their loss of life.

Last edited:

I hope he doesn't, because at least everything is contained to 1 thread and people can choose whether to open it or not.

Agree. This is actually pretty tame. It impacts all of us. There isn’t a lot to talk about. Wonder what the record number of pages is for a thread? Most other sites like this do allow political and current events discussions. It’s Rob’s choice. In the end, I feel like whether it’s a good thing or not, we’ve gotten to know each other better and it is a form of support during a time....well who knows what to call it. Take away about 4 VERY similar posters (two of which have disappeared), we are pretty similar in the level to which we express ourselves (not insulting). Ya occasionally any of us can react, but it is not a common attacking style.

I keep thinking about all the lawsuits coming out of this ordeal. Unfortunately, this guy didn't do anything to temper those thoughts.

The caveat is because it was mishandled and ignored early that it's spread so much it has required us to do a lot more tests. If we could have gotten in front of it instead of chasing it it would be a different story IMO. I agree it will be interesting to watch SK in the future, hopefully they can ride it long enough for a vaccine and minimize their loss of life.
I think if there is one thing we've learned from this is that the American people were going to let this virus spread regardless of what leaders did. The leaders could have tried to do more and said more, but the people wouldn't have followed anyway so it's kinda a moot point. It takes both the leaders and the people to take it seriously and there is no way the people would have done enough to stop the spread in January. Half of the country still thinks we are over reacting in April.

So let me put you in the shoes of two leaders. Our worst hot spot by far was the NYC metroplex ... accounting for almost half of all U.S. deaths. Many experts are saying the biggest contributor of the spread in that local was the subway system. Do you think Cuomo or de Blasio should have shut it down? I do.

So let me put you in the shoes of two leaders. Our worst hot spot by far was the NYC metroplex ... accounting for almost half of all U.S. deaths. Many experts are saying the biggest contributor of the spread in that local was the subway system. Do you think Cuomo or de Blasio should have shut it down? I do.
Probably yes. Not being from New York and never having been there my opinion is based off of very little information though. I haven't researched this at all and don't intend to so my suggestion would be a bad guess at best. It's much closer to 1/4 the deaths in the US, not 1/2. I would have considered what Wuhan did and lock people down in their homes, of course that would never fly in the US.

Our best course of action from the beginning in my opinion would have been massive testing and an extremely robust contact tracing program.

Last edited:
I think if there is one thing we've learned from this is that the American people were going to let this virus spread regardless of what leaders did. The leaders could have tried to do more and said more, but the people wouldn't have followed anyway so it's kinda a moot point. It takes both the leaders and the people to take it seriously and there is no way the people would have done enough to stop the spread in January. Half of the country still thinks we are over reacting in April.
Absolutely right. This is the main reason why I thought this would blow up back in February. I feel Americans are incredibly selfish and care little for their fellow citizens. Throw in the current political climate where this somehow became a partisan issue it's no surprise how we got here.

Yeah I heard that too. It's unfortunate because I feel like there's been some good discussion. I'd never get on facebook to talk about this. I feel like I know you folks better than anyone I'd ever want to get to know on social media and even though there's been some impolite discourse on here, especially from me, it's been a good outlet to vent frustrations. I'll be disappointed when it gets shut down but will completely understand of course.

NY is a fascinating city. If you shut down public transportation, life pretty much shuts down, traffic would be impossible. What this does show is that our leaders don't do much disaster planning.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/m...e-who-stayed-at-home-2020-05-06?mod=home-page

Two thirds of all new cases in NYC were staying at home and not riding the subway.
Reading that it sounds like the people walking into hospitals were staying at home, but I'm betting that the subway was still a big factor in spreading the virus around - many of them likely were just asymptomatic or not bad enough to be hospitalized. In a tightly packed place like NYC, you're probably at risk even staying at home (still need to get food and supplies somehow which is likely how they got it) which is suggested by the article. Definitely shows that a lot of people got it from means other than riding the subway.

Last edited:
We've had our discussion about racism. I looked up ethnic diversity at universities. Rutgers and Maryland were by far the most ethnically diverse Bigs. Iowa was near the bottom, but not as low as Wisconsin or Nebraska. Michigan was #3 about being diverse in the Big and was right in the middle nationally. The least diverse universities had a lot of mostly minority students. Iowa's low ranking isn't surprising in that Iowa is a low minority population state. Quite low actually. However, a number of students come from the Chicago area. Not sure what that means in re to minority though. ISU was lower than any BIG.

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities/campus-ethnic-diversity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts