Are you personally worried about getting the Coronavirus?

Are you personally worried about catching the Coronavirus?

• Yes

Votes: 41 41.0%
  • No

Votes: 59 59.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah. I'm close to shutting this puppy down. It's the same handful of people going over the same ground. It's run it's course.

We are 243 pages deep. The only people who click on this thread now are the people who want to see it. This place is the only place a lot of us get information. Needing information on this subject won't run it's course until the virus runs its course. I really hope you decide not to.

I agree with everything you said there with the exception of the subway. Is your logic for not shutting the subway down that NYers would not accept it and/or it wasn't a reason COVID spread so badly there? Just trying to understand the logic is all.
I'm guessing he considers the subway an essential part of New York so shutting it down would do more harm than good. It was a great post tho.

Interesting stats from NY ... 66% of new hospitalizations are from people who sheltered at home ... 18% from nursing homes.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/06/ny-...hospitalizations-are-people-staying-home.html

I wonder why that is. It could be because the high risk are more prone to staying home so when the do catch it, its serious. It could be that the percentage of people that consider themselves locked down are way higher than the people who consider themselves not locked down. It could be from lack of vitamin D from being locked up inside. I cant imagine it's because its actually safer to go out than to stay home. If that's the reason, I'd be really interested to hear how that's possible.

I'm guessing he considers the subway an essential part of New York so shutting it down would do more harm than good. It was a great post tho.

That's what I believe also ... but if you substitute the word "economy" for "subway" in what I bolded above that's what a lot of people all over the world are saying as we pass peak.

Yeah. I'm close to shutting this puppy down. It's the same handful of people going over the same ground. It's run it's course.

296nqo.jpg

I agree with everything you said there with the exception of the subway. Is your logic for not shutting the subway down that NYers would not accept it and/or it wasn't a reason COVID spread so badly there? Just trying to understand the logic is all.

My guess is COVID spread in NYC from ventilation systems, elevators and the subway. But the City would die without the subway. The folks who work at restaurants, Gristedes or Whole Foods in Manhattan all live out in Queens or the Bronx. You close the subway, nothing could open. You'd have starved the place out in a week. The places in NYC are tiny and no one had a week's worth of food sitting in their pantries.

I've lived in NYC and Tokyo. The commuter trains from the suburbs into Tokyo and the central business district city trains make NYC look like rural Iowa by comparison in terms of crowding. I was in Tokyo when SARS 1 hit. There wasn't a single person on those trains without a mask. Even during COVID, the guys I have talked to still went to work and said the trains were at 75% capacity. The entire metro Tokyo area (which is probably over 25 million people) has under 8,000 cases. Now part of that is the government has stopped testing unless they think you are going to need medical attention but they have realized it is pointless to test some healthy 22 year old guy to see if he has rony because it ain't gonna kill him. They say "assume you have it, assume everyone else has it, act accordingly." They have under 600 deaths in Japan.

Typical! Lol I always have a great day but I don't think you do. You let things get to you when it doesn't go all your way. You sure you and TK aren't the same person. Lame ass response. Lol

So I hit a nerve huh Judy.. Because the lame douchebaggery responses honestly makes you look a tad insecure and opposite of what you state, but that’s Okay. I don’t know you and don’t care to. Have another one of your great days. :cool:

My guess is COVID spread in NYC from ventilation systems, elevators and the subway. But the City would die without the subway. The folks who work at restaurants, Gristedes or Whole Foods in Manhattan all live out in Queens or the Bronx. You close the subway, nothing could open. You'd have starved the place out in a week. The places in NYC are tiny and no one had a week's worth of food sitting in their pantries.

I've lived in NYC and Tokyo. The commuter trains from the suburbs into Tokyo and the central business district city trains make NYC look like rural Iowa by comparison in terms of crowding. I was in Tokyo when SARS 1 hit. There wasn't a single person on those trains without a mask. Even during COVID, the guys I have talked to still went to work and said the trains were at 75% capacity. The entire metro Tokyo area (which is probably over 25 million people) has under 8,000 cases. Now part of that is the government has stopped testing unless they think you are going to need medical attention but they have realized it is pointless to test some healthy 22 year old guy to see if he has rony because it ain't gonna kill him. They say "assume you have it, assume everyone else has it, act accordingly." They have under 600 deaths in Japan.
Yes, the testing in Japan is crazy low, but so is their death rate. They've only tested 1502 people per million. South Korea is at 12,666 per million tested and the U.S. at 23,617 per million as of today.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

It’s getting locked. Period. And if the conversation moves to other threads, it will be deleted and the user will be banned.

Don’t insult our intelligence by saying you need this thread for information. That’s bullshit. You guys are posting links from the dark reaches of the internet. Just go there for your info.

These message boards are for Hawkeye sports discussion. There are plenty of other options for you to use if you want to discuss other things. Trust me.

I don’t give a rip how many pages are in this thread or responses. It’s not what this site is about.

If you guys would like to continue off-topic discussions with each other, there are message boards you can launch for free and you can join it together. You can DM each other on here and invite the gang.

Here's a link to a reliable one we use for one of my fantasy baseball leagues:

LINK

It’s getting locked. Period. And if the conversation moves to other threads, it will be deleted and the user will be banned.

Don’t insult our intelligence by saying you need this thread for information. That’s bullshit. You guys are posting links from the dark reaches of the internet. Just go there for your info.

These message boards are for Hawkeye sports discussion. There are plenty of other options for you to use if you want to discuss other things. Trust me.

I don’t give a rip how many pages are in this thread or responses. It’s not what this site is about.
Jeez Rob, no need to be a jerk about it. It's not like everyone wasn't asking nicely.

Hey, I’ll own coming off jerky. I can see that. I’m annoyed. It happens.

Doesn’t change the fact that the thread will be locked soon. And I would recommend the link in my last post if you guys want to continue the social issues convo. Go for it. You don’t need to be on here to do it.

Interesting stats from NY ... 66% of new hospitalizations are from people who sheltered at home ... 18% from nursing homes.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/06/ny-...hospitalizations-are-people-staying-home.html

Oh for goodness sake. Of course a large number of cases come from home. Guy rides the subway, gets a haircut, stops at the grocery store, then arrives home, asymptomatic, has a hug fest with his wife and two kids, and boom! But, the case did not magically originate in the home. This banner was on Faux News today implying that re opening was just fine, since so many cases came from home. Common sense is in short supply in the US right now.

Hey, I’ll own coming off jerky. I can see that. I’m annoyed. It happens.

Doesn’t change the fact that the thread will be locked soon. And I would recommend the link in my last post if you guys want to continue the social issues convo. Go for it. You don’t need to be on here to do it.
Just out of curiosity, what are you annoyed about?

Gotta get this in before the thread is locked down.

"History shows again and again how nature points out the folly of man"...

CORONA!

Sorry....:p

So let me put you in the shoes of two leaders. Our worst hot spot by far was the NYC metroplex ... accounting for almost half of all U.S. deaths. Many experts are saying the biggest contributor of the spread in that local was the subway system. Do you think Cuomo or de Blasio should have shut it down? I do.

Where is your data on NYC subwas ridership and patterns like social distancing since mid March? Since you are way off on the percentage of deaths NYC compared to the US I just want to know what stats there are on the subway ridership. By mid march was ridership down, by how much, or maybe it ridership didnt go down until about march 21st.

Remember when they shut down the city many, or most people didnt need to ride the subway. Are there cameras on the subways which show very good social distancing being practiced.

No one should make this claim without really good evidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts