Are you personally worried about getting the Coronavirus?

Are you personally worried about catching the Coronavirus?

• Yes

Votes: 41 41.0%
  • No

Votes: 59 59.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nobody said other higher-risk workers were completely fine working. Here's the quote I think you're referring to:

Waterloo city councilman: “We were failed by people who put profit margins and greed before people, predominantly brown people, predominantly immigrants, predominantly people who live in lower socioeconomic quarters.”

PREDOMINANTLY

I've seen your posts on racial topics in the past. You downplay that racism is an issue and you're all about "whataboutism." I'm not going down the road with you because your mind is made up.

Racism isn't a problem in your world and there's no such thing as white privilege or any problems with the system being set up against certain segments of the population.
Driving home from the Illinois basketball game in February I was pulled over near Monticello for "speeding". All I did was pass an officer who was doing 65 in the passing lane. When he saw that my biracial son was riding shotgun he increased the stakes- by demanding my son's ID. Why? Oh, wait, now I know. My wife wanted to know why I didn't give the officer a piece of my mind. I told her I was just getting a warning and didn't want a ticket. Bad answer.

Rob I don't want to take this thread down another rabbit hole but I will gladly PM anyone who wants to discuss certain things-and the hell it's put my wife and myself through.

About those test kits... :confused:

President questions Tanzania coronavirus kits after goat test

The president said he had instructed Tanzanian security forces to check the quality of the kits. They had randomly obtained several non-human samples, including from a pawpaw, a goat and a sheep, but had assigned them human names and ages.

These samples were then submitted to Tanzania’s laboratory to test for the coronavirus, with the lab technicians left deliberately unaware of their origins.

Samples from the pawpaw and the goat tested positive for COVID-19, the president said, adding this meant it was likely that some people were being tested positive when in fact they were not infected by the coronavirus.

“There is something happening. I said before we should not accept that every aid is meant to be good for this nation,” Magufuli said, adding the kits should be investigated.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-tanzania-idUSKBN22F0KF

Is the US testing fruit, motor oil, and goats as well? Apparently coronavirus doesn't discriminate against those things either.

Well folks, im starting to hear a buzz out there about how people are "getting used to this".

Even in jest, that's the last thing we need to hear. Even if things will never go back to where they were, even if we have to sacrifice an entire summer, we cannot let that mentality permeate our psyches.

There are too many do-gooders out there with nothing better to do that will absolutely prey on that mentality. Because they think they are doing it for our own good.

Is this a buzz from people you are directly talking to? Do they mean 'staying at home, social distancing' 'not going to work'. Or is this buzz from social media sites or news reporting sites?

Driving home from the Illinois basketball game in February I was pulled over near Monticello for "speeding". All I did was pass an officer who was doing 65 in the passing lane. When he saw that my biracial son was riding shotgun he increased the stakes- by demanding my son's ID. Why? Oh, wait, now I know. My wife wanted to know why I didn't give the officer a piece of my mind. I told her I was just getting a warning and didn't want a ticket. Bad answer.

Rob I don't want to take this thread down another rabbit hole but I will gladly PM anyone who wants to discuss certain things-and the hell it's put my wife and myself through.

North , I get it and am sorry for what your family deals with. The Iowa culture is generally not overtly racist. It shows up in things like you described. Iowa doesn't have a large minority population except for pockets like Waterloo and Lone Tree for examples. Even Iowa s 3 big universities are not very diverse and minorities there generally come from higher economic levels than the general minority population. So people aren't exposed. Also being in a low minority area means you aren't as likely to be a victim of a crime by a minority person. There isn't a lot of fuel.

When my blond haired bio daughter was 13 we came across the border from Mexico. Immigration pulled her aside and grilled her about her ID and who I was. I had gone ahead of her and they pulled up in the weeks before I had traveled abroad to several countries including Ukraine which is terrible for human trafficking. They were checking to see if I was sneaking a trafficked child across the border.

I've been in countries in rural areas where I was by far in minority. Been stopped by police who aren't nice humans. I've led groups overseas which included U S green cards and saw how badly they were treated by US immigration. Was at Detroit ready to leave for Amsterdam on a 747 shortly after the shoe bomber and they pulled every middle eastern looking person aside including wives and kids. The police were rough with the males and wives and kids were terrified and crying. It was unnerving. We got to the runway and they pulled us back along w three other 747s bound for Europe saying they all 3 had the same mechanical issue. Most didn't get out for 4 days. Over 1000 people. Maybe it saved lives but what happened to those families was terrible.

One of my two adopted daughters has a strong accent and vendors really try and take advantage of her a lot.

Racism is there. If the people mostly getting sick at meat plant were friends and neighbors public reaction would be different. There are plenty of stories online of how sick minorities are treated compared to whites.

Yeah, that guy needs to spend 100? days in jail just for being stupid and also pay for the camera.

Driving on the street is being on a public Way and I dont think the news people have to get your permission unless they show you in footage on tv or print, etc. And I dont know the whole legalities but maybe they dont need your permission at all in certain cases like they are filming a fire, crime, parade, some law person on here knows.

North , I get it and am sorry for what your family deals with. The Iowa culture is generally not overtly racist. It shows up in things like you described. Iowa doesn't have a large minority population except for pockets like Waterloo and Lone Tree for examples. Even Iowa s 3 big universities are not very diverse and minorities there generally come from higher economic levels than the general minority population. So people aren't exposed. Also being in a low minority area means you aren't as likely to be a victim of a crime by a minority person. There isn't a lot of fuel.

When my blond haired bio daughter was 13 we came across the border from Mexico. Immigration pulled her aside and grilled her about her ID and who I was. I had gone ahead of her and they pulled up in the weeks before I had traveled abroad to several countries including Ukraine which is terrible for human trafficking. They were checking to see if I was sneaking a trafficked child across the border.

I've been in countries in rural areas where I was by far in minority. Been stopped by police who aren't nice humans. I've led groups overseas which included U S green cards and saw how badly they were treated by US immigration. Was at Detroit ready to leave for Amsterdam on a 747 shortly after the shoe bomber and they pulled every middle eastern looking person aside including wives and kids. The police were rough with the males and wives and kids were terrified and crying. It was unnerving. We got to the runway and they pulled us back along w three other 747s bound for Europe saying they all 3 had the same mechanical issue. Most didn't get out for 4 days. Over 1000 people. Maybe it saved lives but what happened to those families was terrible.

One of my two adopted daughters has a strong accent and vendors really try and take advantage of her a lot.

Racism is there. If the people mostly getting sick at meat plant were friends and neighbors public reaction would be different. There are plenty of stories online of how sick minorities are treated compared to whites.

You say it would be different if the people in meat packing plants were white? Different how? It's already all over the news. This is a major story. I agree it would be less of a story if they were white.

Nobody said other higher-risk workers were completely fine working. Here's the quote I think you're referring to:

Waterloo city councilman: “We were failed by people who put profit margins and greed before people, predominantly brown people, predominantly immigrants, predominantly people who live in lower socioeconomic quarters.”

PREDOMINANTLY

I've seen your posts on racial topics in the past. You downplay that racism is an issue and you're all about "whataboutism." I'm not going down the road with you because your mind is made up.

Racism isn't a problem in your world and there's no such thing as white privilege or any problems with the system being set up against certain segments of the population.
All I'm saying is businesses are staying open all over the country with the risk of major outbreaks. If it happens where mostly white people work, it's not because they don't care about the employees. So why should that be the story if they happen to be minorities? And my mind is never made up. It can always be changed. I get that there is racism out there from all races, towards all races. Really the only time I speak up is when something that isn't racist gets called racist.

I once sat in a parking lot of a Library in Sumner. I was on a lunch break, needed to use the internet, and I didn't feel like going inside. After about 20 minutes the local cop pulls next to me and asked for my ID. I asked the officer what was I doing wrong as I was on public property and minding my own business. He then told me that the workers inside had gotten suspicious of me so they called the police and again asked for my ID. I told the officer, in a nice way, that unless I was doing something wrong that giving him my ID really wasn't necessary and to just tell the ladies that I was on a lunch break. He relented, walked away, and told me to have a nice day.

But I'm a middle aged white guy, I'm sure my face would have wound up planted into the parking lot cement had I been black.

You say it would be different if the people in meat packing plants were white? Different how? It's already all over the news. This is a major story. I agree it would be less of a story if they were white.

No, it would be a bigger story. I understand you don't get that. As an example 1 person locally tested positive as a Target employee. One at a local star bucks. 50 something at a packer. Which got more coverage earlier? I know the answer. Two stories were immediate. One we d been hearing rumors about for several weeks. On story gets less space than the other 2.

According to your position....your guess would be wrong. My guess is that if Wendys didn't know where the beef was you wouldn't hear about the one. At first they were only reporting an uptick in the county. Then they did mention the minority dominated community. Target and star bucks.... Immediate.

Good news, those new case numbers are pretty low, especially since they are supposedly testing new people. Hopefully that trend continues!

All I'm saying is businesses are staying open all over the country with the risk of major outbreaks. If it happens where mostly white people work, it's not because they don't care about the employees. So why should that be the story if they happen to be minorities? And my mind is never made up. It can always be changed. I get that there is racism out there from all races, towards all races. Really the only time I speak up is when something that isn't racist gets called racist.

Some reasonable people don't agree with your definition.

I once sat in a parking lot of a Library in Sumner. I was on a lunch break, needed to use the internet, and I didn't feel like going inside. After about 20 minutes the local cop pulls next to me and asked for my ID. I asked the officer what was I doing wrong as I was on public property and minding my own business. He then told me that the workers inside had gotten suspicious of me so they called the police and again asked for my ID. I told the officer, in a nice way, that unless I was doing something wrong that giving him my ID really wasn't necessary and to just tell the ladies that I was on a lunch break. He relented, walked away, and told me to have a nice day.

But I'm a middle aged white guy, I'm sure my face would have wound up planted into the parking lot cement had I been black.

You must not be in a stop and identify state like Wisconsin or IL.

How is stop and identify even legal unless the cops have probable cause?

I don't disagree but one has to be practical in how the officer is applying the rules. Col is less likely to give up that quickly generally speaking.

Btw I have personally filed a human right complaint against an Iowa Sheriff and chief deputy and got the letter to sue... Which I didn't. Just wanted to push back. I forced them to turn over communications to embarrass them.

They were just being assholes without cause.

This is an informative response to the mask hysteria. Remember, cloth masks are pretty much useless.

20 April 2020
Antonio I Lazzarino
Medical Doctor and Epidemiologist
Steptoe A, Hamer M, Michie S
University College London
UCL Institute of Epidemiology and Health Care

https://www.bmj.com/content/369/bmj.m1435/rr-40

The article lists reasons why wearing can compromise the user or side effects. It does not say they are pretty much useless...

(1) Wearing a face mask may give a false sense of security and make people adopt a reduction in compliance with other infection control measures, including social distancing and hands washing.[3]

(2) Inappropriate use of face mask: people must not touch their masks, must change their single-use masks frequently or wash them regularly, dispose them correctly and adopt other management measures, otherwise their risks and those of others may increase.[3,4]

Other potential side effects that we must consider are:

(3) The quality and the volume of speech between two people wearing masks is considerably compromised and they may unconsciously come closer. While one may be trained to counteract side effect n.1, this side effect may be more difficult to tackle.

and so on

Dude, if you continue posting the same misinformation on here over and over again, you're gone. I'm done with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts