Are you personally worried about getting the Coronavirus?

Are you personally worried about catching the Coronavirus?

• Yes

Votes: 41 41.0%
  • No

Votes: 59 59.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
So what's the difference between the thousands of people getting infected by doing "essential jobs" and the ones of minority who get infected doing essential jobs? I was in walmart and saw an old fat white lady working there. She is pretty damn high risk but is still going to work. It's no big deal tho because she's white. But as soon as an outbreak hits a place where minorities happen to work, no one cares about them. I'd argue a meat packing plant is a hell of a lot more essential than Walmart. What am I missing here?

BTW, did my weekly grocery shop today wearing mask. I've only gone to the store once a week since the middle of March. Plan out meals for the week and it's been smooth. Talked with the regular workers at the store. I thanked them for what they're doing. They thanked me figuring out how to feed a family of five by shopping once a week.

Here I am from last week with my kickass mask.

Dr. Birx is jealous.

Late yesterday afternoon I sent an email to Gary Barta with encouragement to work with the U of I president and the coaches to put the safety of our athletes as the number one priority. I told him I hoped Hawkeye fans would support our athletes and the athletic department in their efforts.

This morning when I checked my email about 10:00 a.m., I received a reply from GB which expressed his appreciation for my comments and assurance they would make every effort to keep athletes safe.

I wonder how many BT AD’s would take the time to respond, especially that quickly. Maybe it is common, but I was pleasantly surprised.

So what's the difference between the thousands of people getting infected by doing "essential jobs" and the ones of minority who get infected doing essential jobs? I was in walmart and saw an old fat white lady working there. She is pretty damn high risk but is still going to work. It's no big deal tho because she's white. But as soon as an outbreak hits a place where minorities happen to work, no one cares about them. I'd argue a meat packing plant is a hell of a lot more essential than Walmart. What am I missing here?

Here you go

https://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/f...s-vulnerable-coronavirus-200417115216263.html

Late yesterday afternoon I sent an email to Gary Barta with encouragement to work with the U of I president and the coaches to put the safety of our athletes as the number one priority. I told him I hoped Hawkeye fans would support our athletes and the athletic department in their efforts.

This morning when I checked my email about 10:00 a.m., I received a reply from GB which expressed his appreciation for my comments and assurance they would make every effort to keep athletes safe.

I wonder how many BT AD’s would take the time to respond, especially that quickly. Maybe it is common, but I was pleasantly surprised.

It was probably from Marge his assistant.

BTW, did my weekly grocery shop today wearing mask. I've only gone to the store once a week since the middle of March. Plan out meals for the week and it's been smooth. Talked with the regular workers at the store. I thanked them for what they're doing. They thanked me figuring out how to feed a family of five by shopping once a week.

Here I am from last week with my kickass mask.

I've done the online ordering with Hy-Vee the past few times with scheduled pick-up and it's been really easy, lowers exposure for everyone involved. Only problem is when they run out of stuff and swap it with something else - not a huge deal. I have a family member that works at a grocery store so I appreciate any caution that people use.

I've done the online ordering with Hy-Vee the past few times with scheduled pick-u[ and it's been really easy, lowers exposure for everyone involved

I've thought about doing that and may in the future. I'll definitely look into it.

They should wait another month before doing this........

"(AP) Vice President Mike Pence plans to travel to Iowa on Friday to meet with faith leaders to discuss reopening religious services to the public.

The visit comes a week after Republican Gov. Kim Reynolds said she would lift restrictions on religious gatherings as long as they observe social distancing guidelines and increase sanitation efforts.

The Des Moines Register reports Pence also plans to visit Hy-Vee's headquarters to hold a roundtable discussion about securing the nation's food supply."

Was there anything to indicate it was an actual reply not canned?

For all of you out there wearing your bandanas, panties, & bras over your face... ;)

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed...m_medium=referral&utm_campaign=CitationSensor

A cluster randomised trial of cloth masks compared with medical masks in healthcare workers.

RESULTS:
The rates of all infection outcomes were highest in the cloth mask arm, with the rate of ILI statistically significantly higher in the cloth mask arm (relative risk (RR)=13.00, 95% CI 1.69 to 100.07) compared with the medical mask arm. Cloth masks also had significantly higher rates of ILI compared with the control arm. An analysis by mask use showed ILI (RR=6.64, 95% CI 1.45 to 28.65) and laboratory-confirmed virus (RR=1.72, 95% CI 1.01 to 2.94) were significantly higher in the cloth masks group compared with the medical masks group. Penetration of cloth masks by particles was almost 97% and medical masks 44%.

Yes, a medical mask is better than a cloth mask. The study being citing is from April of 2015 for the flu.

Here's a recent one from Mayo: LINK

Can face masks help prevent the spread of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19)? Yes, face masks combined with other preventive measures, such as frequent hand-washing and social distancing, help slow the spread of the disease.

I use cloth because I don't want to order medical masks that can go to health care workers.

I've thought about doing that and may in the future. I'll definitely look into it.

I have used this method at Festival Foods in Eastern Wisconsin. It has been virtually flawless. I have learned to give them about, on average, 3 days to confirm my pickup. The ease of on line ordering is impressive. Sheboygan county is about 100,000 people, and Festival is very popular.

I would characterize two Iowa cities in the top 6 of fastest doubling rate of cases is very worrisome, not interesting.

And now the news about the Tyson meat plant in Perry, IA having a crazy 58% of its employees test positive is also very worrisome. So Tyson in Perry on Monday said they wouldnt say how many positive tests they have until the number climbs above 10%.

Then wow, crazy the next day it is 58% which is 730 people, 730 crazy.

And who's crazy rule during a pandemic is it that you dont have to tell the public during a public health emergency how many sick people you have. Do any of you know if this is a State of Iowa rule?

Last edited:
For all of you out there wearing your bandanas, panties, & bras over your face... ;)

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed...m_medium=referral&utm_campaign=CitationSensor

A cluster randomised trial of cloth masks compared with medical masks in healthcare workers.

RESULTS:
The rates of all infection outcomes were highest in the cloth mask arm, with the rate of ILI statistically significantly higher in the cloth mask arm (relative risk (RR)=13.00, 95% CI 1.69 to 100.07) compared with the medical mask arm. Cloth masks also had significantly higher rates of ILI compared with the control arm. An analysis by mask use showed ILI (RR=6.64, 95% CI 1.45 to 28.65) and laboratory-confirmed virus (RR=1.72, 95% CI 1.01 to 2.94) were significantly higher in the cloth masks group compared with the medical masks group. Penetration of cloth masks by particles was almost 97% and medical masks 44%.

Never thought I d see you talk about penetration this way Ruth...

So Perry Iowa, population about 8000 has 730 positive cases which is about 10% (maybe all do not live in Perry, but what the hell). There are 730 infected out of 1238 or so employees at this plant.

So let us do a little math. Not counting the fact that maybe Tyson was holding back info on test results to have a couple of extra days to process without having to say how infected the workforce was, we could say on one day they had less than 10% infections which would be less than 124 cases and then magically the next day the number zooms up to 730.

Roughly 600 new cases in one plant in one day which would be close to matching the biggest state daily increase. Maybe some people need to be charged with negligence of some sort.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts