Are you personally worried about getting the Coronavirus?

Are you personally worried about catching the Coronavirus?

• Yes

Votes: 41 41.0%
  • No

Votes: 59 59.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
But then there is this ... total U.S. deaths (all 50 states) in March 2020 were down 15% compared to the past four year average in March ... per CDC data.

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/20...ch-2020-actually-15-average-prior-four-years/

That linked article didnt even have any analysis. Well let's see there are a lot less people driving and driving a lot less miles so maybe about 4,000 fewer car and truck deaths, maybe some less deaths due to workplace accidents, less pedestrian deaths, what other areas might make it less. Do you have an idea?

And we could also say Covid is killing a lot but the good thing is there are less deaths overall.

Agreed. Much sucking of ass. I really like Denver, although I'd like to do a few less "social distancy" things in the coming months.

The old lady is great. She's doing phone/tele thereapy with patients from home all day while the dogs annoy her.

How's your old lady?
Pretty much going insane since she's at home with our 4 year old all day everyday. We never closed our office so I can still go to work, but she has to deal with the boy all day and it's driving her nuts. She only lets him watch 30 minutes of TV per day and is filling a lot of his time with piano and teaching. The kid is probably going to be ready for 3rd grade by the time he starts kindergarten in fall of 2021. We're going to try to send him to the Mandarin immersion school because they teach math in Mandarin and use ancient logic techniques rather than Common Core. My guess is that if he can speak Mandarin, Japanese and English he should be able to find a job when he hits the job market.

That linked article didnt even have any analysis. Well let's see there are a lot less people driving and driving a lot less miles so maybe about 4,000 fewer car and truck deaths, maybe some less deaths due to workplace accidents, less pedestrian deaths, what other areas might make it less. Do you have an idea?

And we could also say Covid is killing a lot but the good thing is there are less deaths overall.
LOL. I only posted it because there are a lot of ways to look at data. Just because it breaks the NYT and your doomsday narratives you don't have to take is so personal. It's just data dude, chill out. I'm sure later this year the CDC will have more data to determine the cause of all deaths in March.

LOL. I only posted it because there are a lot of ways to look at data. Just because it breaks the NYT and your doomsday narratives you don't have to take is so personal. It's just data dude, chill out. I'm sure later this year the CDC will have more data to determine the cause of all deaths in March.

I didnt take it personal and I dont see anything in my post to show I did. I hadnt really thought of it but it does seem to make sense. So I thought I would try to come up with some reasons why. If you do not want to try to reason why but just post a link that is up to you.

The most recent CDC numbers indicate that 80% of the deaths attributed to COVID-19 are in people 65 and over. When you lower that to age 55, it become 92%. 45 and above, 97%.

This is not a black plague that's killing millions of young and/or healthy people. Like other respiratory related viruses...the old and compromised are the most vulnerable. I'm not saying "It's just the flu", but the statistical breakdown is quite similar. I've had this discussion with a good friend who's an epidemiologist and that's her take as well.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/index.htm

*Note that there's a reporting lag on this CDC site, these are "confirmed" deaths. So the overall number is below current estimates you hear. But the breakdown by age is pretty constant.

But then there is this ... total U.S. deaths (all 50 states) in March 2020 were down 15% compared to the past four year average in March ... per CDC data.

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/20...ch-2020-actually-15-average-prior-four-years/
Interesting to see a far left and a far right source with opposite conclusions, but with different samples. One is taking America as a whole while the other looks at the 7 hardest hit states in the US. One uses the last 5 years to compare while the other uses the last 2. One of them goes in to great detail to try to explain the difference in data while the other doesn't try in any way whatsoever to analyze the data or explain why the numbers might be down but instead asks a loaded question (based on the information they're presenting) in bold type - then jumps to a conclusion that the people advising the president are dead wrong.

Cmon man, at least find something that attempts to present data in an honest way. The "article" you linked is embarrassingly lazy and misleading. It doesnt even attempt to explain how we may have gone too far in the other 43 states, which I would be interested to hear.

That being said, how can you even attempt to compare these two sources at all?

Last edited:
Yeah I bet those sites are crazy and I am not going to waste my time looking at them. I dont think any of us are going to drastically change each other's minds a lot on here but I think we are all frustrated and we want to discuss our views of why we think processes should be a certain way. And I think we all want to have others look at things through a somewhat different way.

The latest unemployment numbers are terrible. We only have to go back 12 years to a depression caused by greed and lack of oversight and mostly a lack of courage. Some of you dont remember or lived through 18% interest rates, higher unemployment and layoffs in the 1970s and 1980s but it was bad, and all the farmers going bankrupt and their farms being gobbled up by big agribusiness, a lot of suicides, at the same time a very large savings and loan scandal was going on.

Honestly, I should have known better as well. Live and learn. In the 80’s, we had a home loan @ 14%. Today, I carry small portion of a home loan at 2%. Also, I am a Rock Rapids native and saw my Dad’s second generation law firm try to help their clients, nearly all of them farmers, through this disaster. Wore my dad out. Family farms with long histories, gone. Banks that made farm loans, gone. Is our current economic situation a mess? Yes. But I still believe we can come through it.

The most recent CDC numbers indicate that 80% of the deaths attributed to COVID-19 are in people 65 and over. When you lower that to age 55, it become 92%. 45 and above, 97%.

This is not a black plague that's killing millions of young and/or healthy people. Like other respiratory related viruses...the old and compromised are the most vulnerable. I'm not saying "It's just the flu", but the statistical breakdown is quite similar. I've had this discussion with a good friend who's an epidemiologist and that's her take as well.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/index.htm

*Note that there's a reporting lag on this CDC site, these are "confirmed" deaths. So the overall number is below current estimates you hear. But the breakdown by age is pretty constant.

Yes this seems to be the age factor breakdown and a lot of those 55 and 60 year olds were pretty healthy and it seems younger people who die are having some blood clotting and stroke blockage issues.

uihawk82 & Huckfinn have both said on here that they are retired and no longer working. I was shocked to learn of this seeing that they were both posting past 10pm last night. Old farts like them are at the the seniors buffets at 4:30p and then hit the sack by 6:30p ...then it's rise and shine at 4:30am

I have adjusted by staying up late and then sleeping until 9:00 a.m.

Locally farmers are trying to sell 275 pound hogs live at 30$ but the local meat lockers are booked till end of year.

No more funnies thread! God forbid anyone try to have any fun or laugh during these times! Thanks for the censorship Rob! Keep this one open and keep bitching at one another, I'm out.

Locally farmers are trying to sell 275 pound hogs live at 30$ but the local meat lockers are booked till end of year.

There is a huge lesson to be learned here about our food supply, food to processor, food to market and all of the food supply not being very nimble and able to react. Who would have thought that with workplaces and schools and larger eateries shutting down all the food meant for them could not be processed because the packaging is different sizes and the processing plants and lines have different size equipment.

Again, money needs to be available as the military and national guards can transport some of this food, milk and eggs.

I saw a before and after picture of an Idaho potato farmer who filled up a big dump truck, took it into town, dumped it into a huge pile and then in a day it was 99% gone.

No more funnies thread! God forbid anyone try to have any fun or laugh during these times! Thanks for the censorship Rob! Keep this one open and keep bitching at one another, I'm out.

The funnies thread was turning into another COVID-19 thread with some of the usual suspects using it as a playground. Blame them.

You want to talk about the pandemic on this site, this is the thread. If I see it in another thread, it goes away, just like this one will.

Enjoy paying that $45,000 tuition fee.

"DECORAH, Iowa (KWWL) -- As the COVID-19 pandemic unfolds, Luther College announced they will not require ACT/SAT scores for fall 2021 admission.

“We certainly want to ease some of the stress students are feeling as it relates to the upcoming college application process,” said Derek Hartl, Vice President for Enrollment Management. “This decision was made for a variety of reasons, including the desire to remove barriers for students who may be impacted by canceled test dates or other education disruptions during these times.”

Luther College said the admission process will place an emphasis on academic achievement, grades during high school and leadership. They are also requiring a personal statement and letter of recommendation.

While students applying for entry in the fall of 2021 may submit their standardized test scores, they will not be required.

According to the college, more than 1,100 colleges and universities do not require students to submit ACT or SAT scores. Luther College is considering making this a permanent change in the future."

2 weeks ago I made a "wait 2 more weeks" post. There were 34,000 deaths. Now there are 61,000. 11,000 more than I got called a doomsdayer for predicting. The good news is it definitely peaked. The bad news is unless something changes soon like a treatment or summer slowing it down, we will probably hit 100,000 by the end of May or shortly after.

I know there are some people here that think social distancing doesn't help. I have no idea how someone can think spending less time around other people doesn't help slow a virus spread, so I won't even address them. As for everyone else that does understand social distancing slows it down, do you think this was worth it? 60,000 deaths over the last 4 weeks. The next 4-6 weeks will almost certainly see 40,000 more. What would it be if nothing closed? Double that? Triple that? I think it was a mistake in hindsight to shut everywhere down at once. But if we did nothing at all, things would have gotten really bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.