Are you personally worried about getting the Coronavirus?

Are you personally worried about catching the Coronavirus?

• Yes

Votes: 41 41.0%
  • No

Votes: 59 59.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
This would be interesting

I think they should dump non conference games this year, play a shorter conference games only type of season starting the second to last Saturday in August and play hopefully into the second week of October...because if this virus is like the flu or common cold, mid October is when the flu and common cold kick in for the fall/winter seasons. We must really hope the sun and hot/humidity of summer curbs this virus for five to five and a half months.

I mentioned I wanted to get some information about how coronaviruses act on human cells especially with the mention and speculation about Sunlight/UV Light therapies inside the body. I did try to find the info by doing web searches and reading a few papers at the NIH library without any luck. So I went to the source by emailing the American Virology Association or some name like that and also emailing the Univ of Iowa Dept of Microbiology Immunology and Virology. I just got some answers from one of the UI professors who has worked in this field for 38 years. My questions below are the non-bolded text and his approximate answers are in bold.

HIs last two answers below are the key ones. The first two questions, yes, viruses turn our own cells into little virus factories that do not take long, hours, to multiply by up to the hundreds of progeny viruses (no wonder there are so many mutations with such high reproducing rates). But basically he says it takes only that small level of infection to be serious in the lung tissue and UV light will not work at that time. My thinking was it probably wouldn't work because of the vast number of cells creating hundreds of new virus that keep attacking more cells.

1. How long does Covid 19 or the other SARS virus take from time of entering a lung cilia or other type host cell to the time progeny virus are going through exocytosis? 12 HOURS?

2. How many viral progeny on average does a host cell produce once infected by a SARS type virus like Covid-19? 15-500?

3. About how many human lung tissue cells are there in a person that Covid 19 can infect? UNKNOWN, BUT ONLY A MINORITY NEED TO BE INFECTED FOR SEVERE DISEASE.

Since yesterday's briefing where the DHS scientist was saying bright sunlight can kill/inactivate Covid 19 within a minute or so and the what some are saying are the possibility of light therapies I wanted to know these answers to tell people at what rate the infection proceeds. SUNLIGHT MAY WORK ON INANIMATE SURFACES AND THE SKIN BUT WOULD NOT AFFECT DISEASE AFTER THE INFECTION HAS BEGUN.

Funny, because I have noticed Hy-Vee employees in my area not wearing a mask or gloves thinking how dumb on their part..

"WEST DES MOINES, Iowa. (KWWL) - Hy-Vee, Inc. announced today all store and distribution employees are required to wear masks or other facial coverings in response to the Coronavirus pandemic.

Hy-Vee provided masks to all employees over the past several weeks.

This is just one of many steps Hy-Vee has taken to ensure the health and well-being of its employees and customers.

In addition, to show its gratitude to employees during the pandemic, Hy-Vee is providing another front line employee appreciation bonus to part-time and full-time store employees.

Employees will receive a 10% bonus on all their hours worked from April 13 through May 3."

I would say probably not, since She was a Doctor and not a Nurse!!

Oops, yes, she was a doctor. I misspoke on that. But are we sure that all those tik tok videos didn't have doctors in them?

It doesn't matter, my point is this is very real despite many peoples claims that this is all media driven and fake.

"IOWA CITY, Iowa (AP) -- Iowa is warning laid off workers that they will lose their unemployment benefits if they refuse to return when their employer calls them back to work.

Gov. Kim Reynolds is moving to partially reopen 77 of the state's 99 counties Friday, relaxing restrictions that were intended to stop the spread of the coronavirus.

Restaurants, some bars, malls, fitness centers, and retail stores are expected to open their doors for the first time in weeks.

The reopening comes as Iowa experiences one of the nation's fastest growth rates in coronavirus cases.

Iowa Workforce Development is warning that failing to return to work out of fear of catching the virus without a valid excuse will be considered a voluntary quit, which disqualifies workers from receiving unemployment benefits."

Funny, because I have noticed Hy-Vee employees in my area not wearing a mask or gloves thinking how dumb on their part..

"WEST DES MOINES, Iowa. (KWWL) - Hy-Vee, Inc. announced today all store and distribution employees are required to wear masks or other facial coverings in response to the Coronavirus pandemic.

Hy-Vee provided masks to all employees over the past several weeks.

This is just one of many steps Hy-Vee has taken to ensure the health and well-being of its employees and customers.

In addition, to show its gratitude to employees during the pandemic, Hy-Vee is providing another front line employee appreciation bonus to part-time and full-time store employees.

Employees will receive a 10% bonus on all their hours worked from April 13 through May 3."

HyVee is a terrible company in how they treat people. How they handle store theft should be criminal. How they historically treat lower level long term employees is very poor.

Oops, yes, she was a doctor. I misspoke on that. But are we sure that all those tik tok videos didn't have doctors in them?

It doesn't matter, my point is this is very real despite many peoples claims that this is all media driven and fake.

Some staff have real issues with how patients at ground zero are treated. Hospitals are hiring young inexperienced travel nurses who have a combination of wanting to help, to hero mentality, to just plain being young and foolish attracted by big bucks. Bad hospitals (yes there are bad hospitals in policy and admin are even worse now. They are sticking nurses on ventilator duty who have no vent experience. The vents are often not the right ones. Plus to keep the staff safe, they are using closed vents which is a virus trap. Heard one nurse complaining one unit under one doctor had a 100 percent fatality rate on 100 patients. Some nurses at ground zero are complaining that the “hero” label given to nurses is causing problems as the label is given to those providing very poor care. The fact that families are there to advocate for sick family has led to a deterioration of care.

My wife is an RN and has challenged doctors before on poor practices. Most always the doctors win.

Also, those 2 CA doctors blasting the social distancing are owners of their clinics. When doctor have vested interest in medical care it is not a good combination.

This would be interesting

I suspect that the changes and the whole ordeal will decrease interest. Less money and more priority on other aspects of life. It will recover some, bu a portion of the loss will likely be permanent. Not sure that’s all bad.

Howard Stern is a sick and twisted person.............

"Howard Stern, the famed radio personality, suggested Monday that President Trump's supporters should “take disinfectant” and “drop dead.”

What Trump said about disinfectant was out of stupidity, Stern's remarks are just flat out evil.

"IOWA CITY, Iowa (AP) -- Iowa is warning laid off workers that they will lose their unemployment benefits if they refuse to return when their employer calls them back to work.

Gov. Kim Reynolds is moving to partially reopen 77 of the state's 99 counties Friday, relaxing restrictions that were intended to stop the spread of the coronavirus.

Restaurants, some bars, malls, fitness centers, and retail stores are expected to open their doors for the first time in weeks.

The reopening comes as Iowa experiences one of the nation's fastest growth rates in coronavirus cases.

Iowa Workforce Development is warning that failing to return to work out of fear of catching the virus without a valid excuse will be considered a voluntary quit, which disqualifies workers from receiving unemployment benefits."

Ok, the hard ass Repub approach to workers is starting to rear its ugly head. I would think a very realistic chance of contracting this virus with a 20% chance of being seriously ill, hospitalized with long term major side effects or a 1-2% chance of death IS REASON TO NOT GO BACK TO IN PERSON WORK. This is fucked.

Gov Kim has or had refused to answer reporters questions about how this 12 point matrix was decided and even what is in some of the items in the matrix. She is learning well from Trump to just not answer questions. She has ignored the IA Dept of Public Health and Iowa Med Assoc.

Let's maybe look at some of Iowa's numbers that the AP article says show Iowa going up at a high US rate, not total numbers but rate of increase. I hope IA doesnt get any hotspots but we will look at the numbers

Remember the number of tests does NOT equal the number of people tested. Health officials have already stated for awhile the various swab, PCR tests are giving at least 10% false negative and positives. That means they have to retest people who show covid symptoms even bad ones with a 2nd or maybe 3rd test.

Last edited:
Howard Stern is a sick and twisted person.............

"Howard Stern, the famed radio personality, suggested Monday that President Trump's supporters should “take disinfectant” and “drop dead.”

What Trump said about disinfectant was out of stupidity, Stern's remarks are just flat out evil.

yeah, stern was stupid there but probably like a fox in the hen house because like Trump he doesnt care what he says and he wants it heard by many so they will tune into his show. They both are low level morals and ethics on some of what they say.

My wife cut hair and managed a salon for 15 years. My life choices just keep making more and more sense ;)
You should just go for the Boris Johnson look:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts