Are you personally worried about getting the Coronavirus?

Are you personally worried about catching the Coronavirus?

• Yes

Votes: 41 41.0%
  • No

Votes: 59 59.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not living off other people's money. I worked from 15 to 67 years of age, saved and invested wisely, always paid my taxes, as did my wife. We are retired and unless the banks and FDIC go under without paying for bank losses of invested money we can make it for quite a few years. My parents were very well off but I still worked during summers when I was young.

What I am talking about is what to do for all the people who are losing jobs or a bunch of millenials 22 to 35 years of age and other more middle age people who won't have jobs for awhile. And for all the people who make only about $10 an hour picking your vegetables and fruits for you so they are not so expensive.

Actually big businesses like GE , Apple and all those that pay zero US income tax or very little maybe should pay more into the Fed coffers to pay for unemployment insurance and a living stipend to see people through this ordeal. I would give a $1000 right now if Jeff Bezos would give $1 billion or if GE would give $100 million.

When I got my $1200 from the Fed treasury a couple of weeks ago for the Covid bailout I quickly went online to give $400 of it to the Food Bank of Iowa and we have been donating to them monthly for years.

So dont give me shit about living off other people's money.

You know this is why people have been afraid in this country for many years, not just now, because they know employers will throw them out on their ass with no notice, they will lose their health insurance because our stupid system does not cover people, or at least now thanks to Obama you can buy healthcare coverage.

IIRC, the Food Bank says a $1 donation pays for 5 meals so I am glad to pay for 2,000 meals with that one time donation not counting our monthly donation. My wife is going to donate with her deposited money. I hope those of us who can help with charitable giving will do it.

On a fixed income now I will probably donate more after a couple of more social security checks get deposited.

Speaking of social security 1) isn't it great that FDR and his advisors pushed this through back in the day so a lot of older and disabled people have at least about $10,000 a year. And you know many Republicans like Paul Ryan, Trump, and many others like those so-called tea partyers have wanted to gut, steal and cut from Social Security for years and they might try to use covid as a reason to steal from the SS fund.

they will lose their health insurance because our stupid system does not cover people, or at least now thanks to Obama you can buy healthcare coverage.

My parents were forced to leave the insurance they had for over 30 years.
They were forced to take the "Affordable" Health Care that Obama put into effect.

They paid $21,000 more in premiums, medication, and annual appointments than when they had their old insurance.

Sorry, but the AFCA is a sham. When you are penalizing your own people for NOT signing up for it? Give me a flipping break.

And, congratulations on your retirement. Honestly. That's wonderful. Well earned!

I am not living off other people's money. I worked from 15 to 67 years of age, saved and invested wisely, always paid my taxes, as did my wife. We are retired and unless the banks and FDIC go under without paying for bank losses of invested money we can make it for quite a few years. My parents were very well off but I still worked during summers when I was young.

What I am talking about is what to do for all the people who are losing jobs or a bunch of millenials 22 to 35 years of age and other more middle age people who won't have jobs for awhile. And for all the people who make only about $10 an hour picking your vegetables and fruits for you so they are not so expensive.

Actually big businesses like GE , Apple and all those that pay zero US income tax or very little maybe should pay more into the Fed coffers to pay for unemployment insurance and a living stipend to see people through this ordeal. I would give a $1000 right now if Jeff Bezos would give $1 billion or if GE would give $100 million.

When I got my $1200 from the Fed treasury a couple of weeks ago for the Covid bailout I quickly went online to give $400 of it to the Food Bank of Iowa and we have been donating to them monthly for years.

So dont give me shit about living off other people's money.

You know this is why people have been afraid in this country for many years, not just now, because they know employers will throw them out on their ass with no notice, they will lose their health insurance because our stupid system does not cover people, or at least now thanks to Obama you can buy healthcare coverage.

I would add that I personally know at least a dozen people in my residential area who have hit their late 50’s, or early 60’s, make a good salary, worked hard, and then are called in and summarily terminated or paid some paltry sum to “retire.” Next day, a younger person takes their job at a lower $$.

My advice to the younger generation: Do not buy a house, rent. If you get a better offer, give your employer a weeks notice and get out. Loyalty to your employer? Bull Shit. You owe them nothing, because that is precisely how they view you.

They were forced to take the "Affordable" Health Care that Obama put into effect.

They paid $21,000 more in premiums, medication, and annual appointments than when they had their old insurance.

Sorry, but the AFCA is a sham. When you are penalizing your own people for NOT signing up for it? Give me a flipping break.

And, congratulations on your retirement. Honestly. That's wonderful. Well earned!

Are you crazy? Obama Care never raised a single insurance premium. The f...king insurance companies did. Penalized people? BS. Medicare, is the most successful insurance plan in the US, because we all pay throughout our working lives, as well as a graduated premium based on your income when you are covered by the program. That was the goal of the ACA. It only fell short because republicans and democrats were too cowardly to do the job right.

I would add that I personally know at least a dozen people in my residential area who have hit their late 50’s, or early 60’s, make a good salary, worked hard, and then are called in and summarily terminated or paid some paltry sum to “retire.” Next day, a younger person takes their job at a lower $$.

My advice to the younger generation: Do not buy a house, rent. If you get a better offer, give your employer a weeks notice and get out. Loyalty to your employer? Bull Shit. You owe them nothing, because that is precisely how they view you.

I agree that I have seen a lot of friends and coworkers get totally booted when they get older and making more money. Well because it is all about money.

But I will tell you that if IIRC when you are older than 45 or 50 and you get "let go" your employer should not be able to directly replace you by a younger person because that is AGE discrimination. That law has been in place for a long time. A lot of times a company will replace a person but not give the new worker the same title or so called overall job responsibilities to avoid being sued. So mostly companies indirectly replace an older worker or just make the remaining employees take up the slack.

Are you crazy? Obama Care never raised a single insurance premium. The f...king insurance companies did. Penalized people? BS. Medicare, is the most successful insurance plan in the US, because we all pay throughout our working lives, as well as a graduated premium based on your income when you are covered by the program. That was the goal of the ACA. It only fell short because republicans and democrats were too cowardly to do the job right.

This ultimately is the truth. Obama gave up some items like premium limits to get enough Repub votes to pass the legislation all the while knowing some people would pay some high premiums.

With the ACA a person couldnt be denied because of pre-existing conditions but if you have some bad pre-existing conditions the private healthcare companies would really jack up your premiums.

Oh well after the ACA was passed in 2009 or 2010 there were plenty of years to fix all these little items and make it better. What is that you say, oh yeah the Republicans won the House of Reps in Congress in 2010 and over the next 6 years they voted something like 60 times to get rid of the ACA. haha those Repubs are so nice to the poor and unfortunate among us.

Ok time to get myself back to Covid as I have posted a lot of factual information and charts about the illness, etc

Just saw a report that Trump signed a exec order using the Defense Protection Act to reopen a bunch of meat packing plants that have a lot of sick covid people in and around the plants. And they relaxed the social distancing aspects due to relaxed CDC guidelines that were just changed.

Yet, yet Trump can't get swabs and masks made by for testing and protection. Swabs and masks. Hi dee ho as Blood Sweat and Tears used to sing OR HI HO HI HO its back to work we go

Oh yeah back to talking about the pandemic

Last edited:
This is looking like good news. Doctors etc putting patients on their stomachs or sides is enabling them to breathe better and get more oxygen along with then being able to just put oxygen in a hose in the nostril. This has been and could take the load off of using ventilators and not having the harsh ventilator treatment.

USA TODAY
Less-invasive breathing therapies could keep 'significant number' of patients off ventilators
Devi Shastri and Guy Boulton, Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
USA TODAYApril 28, 2020, 11:08 AM CDT

https://www.yahoo.com/news/less-invasive-breathing-therapies-could-174020491.html

I never had any issues with healthcare. Before I was married I paid pretty high premiums because I was self employed, but it wasn't that bad. Once I got married I got on her insurance and it was great. Ever since Obamacare it's not even worth going to the doctor because it's so expensive. I refuse to go pretty much no matter what. (Admittedly I rarely went anyway) We even struggle on when to take our kids in when they are sick because it's so much out of pocket. Our premiums are sky high. Our deductible is sky high. Out of pocket expenses is sky high. It's like we don't even have insurance, but we pay a shit ton for it anyway.

I have lost a least two jobs in my lifetime because they wanted to go younger and cheaper. Also once you know where the company's skeletons are hidden so to speak that company might seem you as "knowing too much information".

I've found something better every time. The flip side to easier dismissals is that it is or was before this pandemic, easier to find anoter position as well. Companies now thrive on constant turnover that would have been unthinkable fifty years ago.

Keep telling yourself that to fit your narrative, sir.

The reality is this: had my parents not been legally forced to register for insurance under the regulations of the AFCA, their premiums would not have gone up. Period. End of story.

What is one of the main differences between MERS virus and the first SARS epidemic virus? From what I read in some NIH documents it was clearly stated that when people contracted the first SARS virus they would not be contagious and shed virus until they were visibly sick, had symptoms, and that virus did not come with a large percentage in any of asymptomatic infectious people spreading the virus. People were found to be sick, they were isolated and treated, and it didnt spread very much.

SARS 2 Covid 19 infected people start shedding virus early in the first days before any symptoms, before they know they have it, and well in advance of showing symptoms if they even get symptoms and it is highly transmitted.

MERS was not transmitted very easily IIRC

Citizen sentiments and thinking from within the last week: not even looking at the back to work question but people do not want to mingle and crowd at three other widely attended life events.

upload_2020-4-29_7-33-50.png

You do know your retirement is fake based on props from the Fed on equities and business bailouts since the dotcom bubble crash. What you describe about insurance is very real. I tried several years ago my own business and paid 12k in premiums with a 12k deductible and had a child with med conditions.

About 8 years ago I started my own business. I had to pay 1200 per month for premiums with a 12000 deductible. Obama care did stop companies from dropping us due to my daughters health and they could no longer write us up higher. But the insurance was a killer and why I am know employed.

I have lost a least two jobs in my lifetime because they wanted to go younger and cheaper. Also once you know where the company's skeletons are hidden so to speak that company might seem you as "knowing too much information".

I've found something better every time. The flip side to easier dismissals is that it is or was before this pandemic, easier to find anoter position as well. Companies now thrive on constant turnover that would have been unthinkable fifty years ago.

I found something better each time until I didn't in my 50s.

This ultimately is the truth. Obama gave up some items like premium limits to get enough Repub votes to pass the legislation all the while knowing some people would pay some high premiums.

With the ACA a person couldnt be denied because of pre-existing conditions but if you have some bad pre-existing conditions the private healthcare companies would really jack up your premiums.

Oh well after the ACA was passed in 2009 or 2010 there were plenty of years to fix all these little items and make it better. What is that you say, oh yeah the Republicans won the House of Reps in Congress in 2010 and over the next 6 years they voted something like 60 times to get rid of the ACA. haha those Repubs are so nice to the poor and unfortunate among us.

Ok time to get myself back to Covid as I have posted a lot of factual information and charts about the illness, etc

Obama and about every other politician is in bed with someone. I have to laugh about Biden's comments about greed after knowing pretty closely what he did in Ukraine that sparked a brutal war.

IIRC, the Food Bank says a $1 donation pays for 5 meals so I am glad to pay for 2,000 meals with that one time donation not counting our monthly donation. My wife is going to donate with her deposited money. I hope those of us who can help with charitable giving will do it.

On a fixed income now I will probably donate more after a couple of more social security checks get deposited.

Speaking of social security 1) isn't it great that FDR and his advisors pushed this through back in the day so a lot of older and disabled people have at least about $10,000 a year. And you know many Republicans like Paul Ryan, Trump, and many others like those so-called tea partyers have wanted to gut, steal and cut from Social Security for years and they might try to use covid as a reason to steal from the SS fund.

Sorry to break this to you. You are living off other people in retirement. Equities are a result of a planned economy, false interest rates and corporate debt buyout which really ramped up 2001 on.

Four weeks ago - so they are way more strict than many think. They started this later than most and they have 3 times the death rate of their neighboring countries.

Sweden, a Scandinavian hold out, finally set distancing ...

www.insider.com/sweden-a-scandinavian-hold-out...
Until this week social distancing efforts in Sweden were voluntary. On Wednesday, the Public Health Agency put new guidelines in place that mandate every person to "keep a distance" from others. Schools and businesses, though, remain open. Visit Insider's homepage for more stories.

Sweden had resisted mandatory social distancing measures. That changed on Wednesday.
Haven Orecchio-Egresitz

Apr 2, 2020, 3:45 PM

Sweden is closing bars that defied social distancing ...
www.businessinsider.com/sweden-closing-bars-that...
1 day ago · Sweden has taken a controversial approach to the novel coronavirus pandemic by urging people to social distance, but also allowing restaurants, schools, and businesses to stay open throughout the..

It is easy to see the ratio comparisons:
Country Pop(Millions) Cases Deaths

Sweden 10 19600 2355

Norway 5.5 7600 206

Finland 5.5 4740 193

Denmark 5.8 8850 434

Estonia 1.3 1660 50

Latvia 1.9 836 13

Lithuania 2.8 1344 44

Poland 38 12100 570

So you're fine living off other people's money 82?

PC, be serious. Let's break it down.

Illinois is a negative DC state. We pay in taxes to DC more than we get back. Iowa is a positive DC state. Iowa gets more than they pay in. In reality, you are living off Illinois (and other states Trump likes to bash and IS a part of Illinois economic woes.

You drive on a highway? You don't come close to paying your way. Your community gets grants for funding schools and libraries? You aren't paying your way. You likely will get more back in SS than you pay in.

You have a 401k/ESOP/IRA invested in equities? Sorry, but without Fed pumping your retirement is false and on the backs of others.

Let's be real. This isn't the beloved capitalism. It is a controlled economy. It will work until it doesn't. Then you will realize your false narrative. COVID 19 is moving it forward faster.

You ever going to need a hospital or nursing home? Likely...you got it, you won't really pay the real cost. The narrative about welfare is childish. We all live in it and benefit from it. I can guarantee the elite despise you.

tenor.gif

Sorry to break this to you. You are living off other people in retirement. Equities are a result of a planned economy, false interest rates and corporate debt buyout which really ramped up 2001 on.

I moved out of equities and stocks 18 months ago to fixed income instruments. My wife and I get our social security which we paid into our whole working lives, we make pretty modest interest due to the low interest rates which you call false, and we have our savings/investment principal as the backup.

So don't tell me about how I am living off other people during my retirement. Banks are making money off of me just like they make money off of all of us using our money. Have you even looked at the interest rates a brick and mortar bank are giving for savings accounts, they are super low but banks still make money off of your money. Equities are a crap shoot roulette table and only work well if you can time them or be in for the long haul of 30-50 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.