Are you personally worried about getting the Coronavirus?

Are you personally worried about catching the Coronavirus?

• Yes

Votes: 41 41.0%
  • No

Votes: 59 59.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody trim our cut their own hair yet? Thinking about it.
I've been doing my own for about three years now when the guy that used to cut my hair retired. I already had a Wahl Clipper set when I used to cut my boys hair when they were young so I gave it a try. It takes a couple trimmings to get it down but after you get the hang of things you'll wonder why you did not do it before. I do a #4 on the sides, transition to a #5 and then go with a #6 on top. Trim it every three weeks and pocket the $25 I used to spend.

Here is a recent article on the Mayo Clinic furloughs and salary reductions. The article states they get 60% of their revenues from the type of elective surgeries and procedures that have been put on hold. As a whole they are running at about 35% of capacity. Besides Rochester they also have large facilities in Phoenix and Jacksonville that are impacted.

My son is a biomedical engineer working for a 3D Printing/Image Software company headquartered out of Belgium. Mayo and Cleveland Clinic are two of his biggest clients and he's been cut back to 3 days a week and 60% pay for the time being.

https://www.postbulletin.com/news/b...cle_19cd5d12-84d9-11ea-aa5b-47d0445c078f.html

Did the Governor of MN order the halt to "all elective procedures and average medical appointments."?

The problem is the midwest went into shutdown before it got bad.

Well Iowa, Neb, S Dakota still havent gone into a big shutdown. Bars, eateries, and close together non-essential businesses are more or less shutdown. I sort of agree with you because there are and were areas in midwest states that didnt even have one confirmed case for maybe two weeks after mid-March shutdowns.

I agree to a point, but as a Governor you don't want to be on the wrong side of a bad outbreak. This pandemic is a new problem at this scale and infection rate so it is understandable when leaders err on the side of caution. In Iowa Johnson County had to take action when those people came back from a trip to Egypt with Covid. At that same time and even up to April 1st or just a little later John Hopkins map was not showing any cases in a 2 county wide circle around Fort Dodge (my son lives in Spencer which is why I was looking at that area).

Anybody trim our cut their own hair yet? Thinking about it.

I actually started letting my hair grown back in Nov or Dec. My hair was real long back in '70-mid 73 and I wondered if my hair being long now would look and be about the same. Anyway my hair is about 3-4 inches longer than usual an now about 6 or so inches long.

I'm not sure what the specifics were from their Governor.

Interesting. If the Gov didnt mandate a halt to elective procedures then it must be the Mayo admin that did it. But why, I wonder if they wanted to not unnecessarily use up their PPE and equipment. Many elective procedures might only use up a hospital room for 2 days or so.

I've been doing my own for about three years now when the guy that used to cut my hair retired. I already had a Wahl Clipper set when I used to cut my boys hair when they were young so I gave it a try. It takes a couple trimmings to get it down but after you get the hang of things you'll wonder why you did not do it before. I do a #4 on the sides, transition to a #5 and then go with a #6 on top. Trim it every three weeks and pocket the $25 I used to spend.

Yes, I will be using my Wall set. I usually have a military cut/fade. All the way from a no guard/trimmer on the low sides faded to knuckle length on top. It would be a challenge. I might go 1 on the side then fade a bit longer for a bit of a cushion for error.

I actually started letting my hair grown back in Nov or Dec. My hair was real long back in '70-mid 73 and I wondered if my hair being long now would look and be about the same. Anyway my hair is about 3-4 inches longer than usual an now about 6 or so inches long.

Now I have a visual of ya!
hippie-man-wig-and-mustache.jpg

I'm not sure what the specifics were from their Governor.

On March 19th the MN Gov ordered this following CDC guidelines. I am not sure but except for the Twin Cities, which does have international flights from Asia or used to, at that time MN may not have had many cases at all. Without looking at MN's covid numbers and locations much of that state might have had fully operational hospitals or close to it on a more location by location basis.

https://mn.gov/governor/news/?id=1055-423863

Governor Walz Orders Health Care Providers to Postpone Elective Surgeries and Procedures to Prioritize COVID-19 Response
March 19, 2020
[ST. PAUL, MN] – Governor Tim Walz today signed Executive Order 20-09, ordering health care providers to postpone elective surgeries and procedures, including non-emergent elective dental procedures, to focus health care capacity and equipment on responding to COVID-19 cases and other emergencies.

This order complies with guidance issued on March 17, 2020, from the Centers on Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), as well as similar guidance from the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services issued on March 18, 2020, to delay elective surgeries and procedures, both to conserve health care resources and to reduce contact between patients and providers.

On March 19th the MN Gov ordered this following CDC guidelines. I am not sure but except for the Twin Cities, which does have international flights from Asia or used to, at that time MN may not have had many cases at all. Without looking at MN's covid numbers and locations much of that state might have had fully operational hospitals or close to it on a more location by location basis.

https://mn.gov/governor/news/?id=1055-423863

Governor Walz Orders Health Care Providers to Postpone Elective Surgeries and Procedures to Prioritize COVID-19 Response
March 19, 2020
[ST. PAUL, MN] – Governor Tim Walz today signed Executive Order 20-09, ordering health care providers to postpone elective surgeries and procedures, including non-emergent elective dental procedures, to focus health care capacity and equipment on responding to COVID-19 cases and other emergencies.

This order complies with guidance issued on March 17, 2020, from the Centers on Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), as well as similar guidance from the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services issued on March 18, 2020, to delay elective surgeries and procedures, both to conserve health care resources and to reduce contact between patients and providers.

I was going to post a while back, I'm actually surprised the state of Minnesota has done as well as they have managing this thing. Their numbers seem relatively low compared to many states.

I was going to post a while back, I'm actually surprised the state of Minnesota has done as well as they have managing this thing. Their numbers seem relatively low compared to many states.

Yes, and old Northwest airlines used to fly to asia from the Twin Cities and I suppose maybe Delta, United, and Alaska have some direct flights from Asia out of there. That is why I thought. and I am sure their public health people were concerned, that MN and especially the Twin Cities might get hit fairly hard.

We were planning to fly to Seattle back on April 2nd when we bought tickets in January. But when this got bad around Seattle very early our daughter out there said best not to, then were were going to drive, then we cancelled the trip.

Well Iowa, Neb, S Dakota still havent gone into a big shutdown. Bars, eateries, and close together non-essential businesses are more or less shutdown. I sort of agree with you because there are and were areas in midwest states that didnt even have one confirmed case for maybe two weeks after mid-March shutdowns.

I agree to a point, but as a Governor you don't want to be on the wrong side of a bad outbreak. This pandemic is a new problem at this scale and infection rate so it is understandable when leaders err on the side of caution. In Iowa Johnson County had to take action when those people came back from a trip to Egypt with Covid. At that same time and even up to April 1st or just a little later John Hopkins map was not showing any cases in a 2 county wide circle around Fort Dodge (my son lives in Spencer which is why I was looking at that area).

The main thing is they need to distinguish between which activities cause mass spread and which ones cause a small amount of spread. Things like big events, schools, restaurants, and bars cause mass spread. It makes sense to shit those down. Things like walking at a park or on a trail don't cause mass spread. The stories I read about people getting into trouble for walking outside is over the top.

It probably has more to do with random luck than it does doing a good job. If infected people randomly never made it into the state before lockdown, your numbers are going to take forever to balloon. That's probably what happened in Minnesota.

The main thing is they need to distinguish between which activities cause mass spread and which ones cause a small amount of spread. Things like big events, schools, restaurants, and bars cause mass spread. It makes sense to shit those down. Things like walking at a park or on a trail don't cause mass spread. The stories I read about people getting into trouble for walking outside is over the top.

I have never read about authorities cracking down on people walking in a park or public space that is still open when the people are socially distancing and not in crowds above the limit.

I guess I did see some cop or guard going after someone on a CA beach when other people were on the beach.

Where did this happen?

Just captured India's Covid #s and that Daily Cases graph is not a great trend. With 25000 cases and most experts saying that is probably at least 250,000 infected hope this wont trend up for a long time. With over a billion people and huge, packed cities there is a lot of host people kindling over there.

View attachment 6728
Should be a good test of the hypothesis that the virus will die off in hot, humid weather. It's in the 90s almost every day there now.

And the sister will be worse than Kim Jong-Un!
From what I remember (maybe during the Olympics?) there was a lot of positivity surrounding her. She seemed somewhat level headed, at least when compared to Kim Jong Un - which of course isn't saying much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts