Are you personally worried about getting the Coronavirus?

Are you personally worried about catching the Coronavirus?

• Yes

Votes: 41 41.0%
  • No

Votes: 59 59.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Really?? Could this be the disinfectant smoking gun??? Did the leader of the Free World get his first impetus to say maybe we should drink disinfectant from a chlorine industry snake oil saleman???

Revealed: leader of group peddling bleach as coronavirus 'cure' wrote to Trump this week

From the Guardian: https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/worl...ote-to-trump-this-week/ar-BB13bZD2?li=BBTgOZ0

The leader of the most prominent group in the US peddling potentially lethal industrial bleach as a “miracle cure” for coronavirus wrote to Donald Trump at the White House this week.

In his letter, Mark Grenon told Trump that chlorine dioxide – a powerful bleach used in industrial processes such as textile manufacturing that can have fatal side-effects when drunk – is “a wonderful detox that can kill 99% of the pathogens in the body”. He added that it “can rid the body of Covid-19”.

A few days after Grenon dispatched his letter, Trump went on national TV at his daily coronavirus briefing at the White House on Thursday and promoted the idea that disinfectant could be used as a treatment for the virus. To the astonishment of medical experts, the US president said that disinfectant “knocks it out in a minute. One minute!”

On to the serious question of what will college football look like in the next year and how will college athletics survive? Sure there are lots of more important questions than football but this is the football forum.
For those who think the virus will be gone in time to get back to anything close to normal by September is probably a bit overly optimistic. Lysol Sun and miracles most likely will not be enough. Keep in mind we have had a virus around for many years and no one has solved the common cold. The flu vaccine we now have is maybe 50 or 60 % effective for those viruses.
OK enough negative. the question is what will College football look like this fall and what do we need to do to save it along with the rest of the things in jeopardy?
Here goes my take. I think college football could be played but with no or very few fans. Not really very exciting proposition but TV revenue might be the only thing to save it. If the virus is around and most experts think it will be with potential to spike Big crowds will not be allowed and even if they were how many people would show up? Can't be too exciting to watch football on TV with no crowds but then again people will be pretty tired of seeing football reruns and what else is there to do?

What needs to happen? Was talking to my next door neighbor who is Superintendent of a large School District and they are busy planning how to handle no in class school for at least the first half of next year. The point is planning, out of the box thinking, and sacrifice NOW

Revenue for College athletics has taken a big hit with the loss of the basketball tournament and will continue to take a hit with no or small crowds, reduced and maybe no TV revenue and reduced donations. At the same time the School has to pay for scholarships which may be less because of room and board reductions but still significant. They have to pay to maintain facilities and they pay for coaches salaries.

At this point Iowa State and some other colleges have taken voluntary pay cuts. Clearly that needs to happen and happen now. I would suggest coaches take a 50% cut along with the more highly paid staff (like Barta) yes 50% is a lot but keep in mind that our strength coach would still be making more that Dr Fauci the NIAID Director. If the worst happens and football doesnt happen in the fall further reductions would be necessary.

I dont know what reserves Iowa has but my guess is it will be very difficult to sustain an athletic program for long without revenues from the major sports. For small schools the future is even more questionable

https://www.thailandmedical.news/ne...orous-acid-are-interesting-research-prospects

President Trump Could Be Right After All. Photodynamic Therapy And The Disinfectant Hypochlorous Acid Are Interesting Research Prospects To Treat COVID-19
From a historical perspective, putting what most would consider poisons in to our bodies for testing potential cures for many ailments is not new. I had an aunt who had cancer in the 1960s and was involved in some early testing of the new chemo therapies at the time. Everybody in the family thought she was nuts for getting involved in the trials but she survived and lived another 40 years. Some of the first chemo treatments even involved the use of mustard gas ... crazy but true.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_cancer_chemotherapy

I saw that yesterday and all it is is more doom and gloom.. I Really need to see this data. I personally think it’s just more BS.

On to the serious question of what will college football look like in the next year and how will college athletics survive? Sure there are lots of more important questions than football but this is the football forum.

questionable

Some of you may think I am a doomday person but I am not. There is a difference between saying how bad something is and then thinking of what can be done. As far as college and NFL football:

What we need is a very, quick and accurate upfront PCR type test that can test players and fans and all entrants into a stadium at a few hours prior to the games or practice to find who can play and attend.

I posted here results from global expert research that say the infected people are shedding virus and others more in the first 4-6 days after they get it. The current tests to find someone who is infected, the PCR, test takes a day or two to find out if they are positive. That is not good for deciding to play football even without fans.

An antibody or antigen test can give results in maybe 10 minutes just like for strep or Flu which we have had for a long time in doctors offices. But these tests find out you have had covid for some time but not that you are just getting it and can infect people. This is not good for playing football.

So as I said we need a cheap with quick results, plentiful in the millions test, accurate, upfront PCR test to ID if someone is shedding virus in their breath, saliva, nasal passages, throat. Then I think there could be some college football.

But should there even be college football if students are not going to class, I say no. So we need colleges open also and I think that will be difficult to do unless there is a cure when you get sick or a vaccine neither of which we have right now. I hope that Remdesivir antiviral maybe with another drug can be a cure,

Even when people do not die from this virus the reports are coming out of lingering, maybe lifelong complications to various organs and parts of the body.

My prognostication on whether testing will be much improved is not very high because this country's leadership has already fucked it up, lost two months, has no one in charge. Prof. Osterholm, a virology expert at Univ of Minny, just said this morning that every country in the world is chasing down the reagent chemicals that make these PCR tests work that are in terribly low supply. We need a leader that will use the DPAct to MAKE companies make reagent , swabs, vials and all the things needed for vast testing.

This industry will be ramped up and part of the new economy.

Last edited:
I hope nobody in Michigan takes this literally and dies from the CNN graphic fubar about opening up this week. ;)

I guess we all make mistakes ...

View attachment 6731

I think the Minnesodans would have a bigger issue.
shopping

https://www.thailandmedical.news/ne...orous-acid-are-interesting-research-prospects

President Trump Could Be Right After All. Photodynamic Therapy And The Disinfectant Hypochlorous Acid Are Interesting Research Prospects To Treat COVID-19
Thailand Medical News?? Here is a quote from the story:

"As a person who does has no medical training, I do believe that he has problems expressing himself with regards to medical research and issues and might not even know the right terminology."

Sorry, but not putting a lot of stock in this "source".

I'm becoming more concerned about gun fire/shootings than the virus. In the past week we have had four shootings with 2-3 deaths in the Iowa City, Coralville and Cedar Rapids area.

Status
Not open for further replies.