Are you personally worried about getting the Coronavirus?

Are you personally worried about catching the Coronavirus?

• Yes

Votes: 41 41.0%
  • No

Votes: 59 59.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ordering people to stay home won't ever kill it off completely. It will just slow the spread. Iowa's spread is already plenty slow. Also a shelter in place order doesn't stop people from going to a grocery store so nothing will change there.
Dubuque's Hy-Vee's are requesting one person per family. But there's no city ordinance to enforce it and it's of course widely ingnored.

Then why don't we have about 100,000 positive cases in the state by now? Or 500,000?

65 cases, as of yesterday in Dubuque county and the six counties surrounding it. Out of a population base of a quarter million.Twenty four days after a confirmed case popped up in Dubuque county. Many seven county chunks of the state don't even have that many confirmed cases. Yet we twiddle our thumbs and keep scbools closed and shut non essentials down.

New case numbers are stabilizing, indicating that we may be near peak. Deaths remain remarkable minimal. More people have probably been murdered in Iowa this year than killed by this.
Schools opening would be terrible for keeping a virus contained. There is a very good chance we are only reaching our peak because of social distancing.

Schools opening would be terrible for keeping a virus contained. There is a very good chance we are only reaching our peak because of social distancing.

I’m just not sold on Social Distancing being the Because. I think there is something more telling that’s about to come out on why. 68,420 cases that makes up only 13% of the US cases lie west of the Mississippi, the other 87% roughly 466,000 cases are East of he Mississippi. Even if you exclude NY totals that still leaves 284,000 cases east of the Mississippi that’s 24% of cases West of Mississippi and 76% east of Mississippi. Something is very wrong with the picture!! Especially when you consider the West coast had the first known coronavirus cases in the US back in January.

I’m just not sold on Social Distancing being the Because. I think there is something more telling that’s about to come out on why. 68,420 cases that makes up only 13% of the US cases lie west of the Mississippi, the other 87% roughly 466,000 cases are East of he Mississippi. Even if you exclude NY totals that still leaves 284,000 cases east of the Mississippi that’s 24% of cases West of Mississippi and 76% east of Mississippi. Something is very wrong with the picture!! Especially when you consider the West coast had the first known coronavirus cases in the US back in January.
Shhh! It's called immunity and it's a top secret that many medical experts don't want you to know. But one that many other medical experts are starting to tout anyway.

What we know about this virus now is light years ahead of what we knew three weeks ago, thanks to the research medical people have been able to do on it. Social distancing was an important initial step. It's about to have company.

What virus? Fellow poster @ssckelley just said people are swarming all over our grocery stores, whole families with their children, not wearing masks, not social distancing.

Tell me again why we don't have six figure confirmed cases in Iowa! It's not prevelant in Iowa, it's mostly in a couple nursing homes. The first case in the state was confirmed over a month ago, we've waited our two weeks, and then two more weeks on top of that, and we just recently hit 1,000 cases. It is prevelant in other areas of the country but that's a different story.

Don't tell us to wait two more weeks and then check the numbers. We've already done that twice.

Last edited:
This fear mongering has a long history.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2005/sep/30/birdflu.jamessturcke

View attachment 6649
"David Nabarro, one of the most senior public health experts at the World Health Organisation, said outbreaks of bird flu, which have killed at least 65 people in Asia, could mutate into a form transmittable between people."
Iowa and SW Wisconsin have done an outstanding job of containing this. Linn and Johnson counties could have had real trouble, but, like the rest of Iowa, did a great job of identifying those who did test positive and getting them quarantined right away.

We visited friends in Marion last Sunday and went for a walk on one of the trails. There were literally hundreds of people out and about.

As for Southwest Wisconsin, another great job. People in Grant county, where I live, travel to Madison like it's a trip to the corner grocery store. Madison's Dane County has had some buildup but so far very few people have brought it back with them. You would think Grant county would have a spike just from the people who travel to Madison, even if that travel has slowed down considerably.

I wonder how the virus got into this place to start?

"IOWA CITY, Iowa (AP) - Fourteen residents at a Cedar Rapids nursing home that has been at the center of the coronavirus pandemic in Iowa have died.

The facility's owner says 60 residents at Heritage Specialty Care and 30 staff members have tested positive for COVID-19.

That represents roughly half the residents and a quarter of the staff at the facility.

Of the 60 infected residents, the home says that 14 have recovered and another 14 had died as of Friday.

A statement from the home says the "hearts, thoughts and prayers of our Heritage staff and our organization go out to the families of these special loved ones."

That's a lot of .... umm..weight.

Let's see, high risk, heavy breathing...how long you been using that mask?

And another way of looking at it is she knows she is in a high risk group but is still working in a hospital near or with covid patients and the ill.

I wonder how the virus got into this place to start?

"IOWA CITY, Iowa (AP) - Fourteen residents at a Cedar Rapids nursing home that has been at the center of the coronavirus pandemic in Iowa have died.

The facility's owner says 60 residents at Heritage Specialty Care and 30 staff members have tested positive for COVID-19.

That represents roughly half the residents and a quarter of the staff at the facility.

Of the 60 infected residents, the home says that 14 have recovered and another 14 had died as of Friday.

A statement from the home says the "hearts, thoughts and prayers of our Heritage staff and our organization go out to the families of these special loved ones."

Nursing Home Deaths Under-Reported.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...nursing-homes-federal-government-isn-n1181026

Those are interesting numbers. But what could they possibly mean?

What virus? Fellow poster @ssckelley just said people are swarming all over our grocery stores, whole families with their children, not wearing masks, not social distancing.

Tell me again why we don't have six figure confirmed cases in Iowa! It's not prevelant in Iowa, it's mostly in a couple nursing homes. The first case in the state was confirmed over a month ago, we've waited our two weeks, and then two more weeks on top of that, and we just recently hit 1,000 cases. It is prevelant in other areas of the country but that's a different story.

Don't tell us to wait two more weeks and then check the numbers. We've already done that twice.
Seeing a kid here and there at a grocery store is a huge difference from every single kid in the country spending hours every day in a building with hundreds of other kids. My kids have around 20 some kids in their classes. If just one kid got it and never showed any symptoms, how many of those 20 some other kids would get it too? My kids are in kindergarten. I'd say every single one of them would get it and bring it home to their parents. Schools would spread this virus worse than full stadiums.

Iowa and SW Wisconsin have done an outstanding job of containing this. Linn and Johnson counties could have had real trouble, but, like the rest of Iowa, did a great job of identifying those who did test positive and getting them quarantined right away.

We visited friends in Marion last Sunday and went for a walk on one of the trails. There were literally hundreds of people out and about.

As for Southwest Wisconsin, another great job. People in Grant county, where I live, travel to Madison like it's a trip to the corner grocery store. Madison's Dane County has had some buildup but so far very few people have brought it back with them. You would think Grant county would have a spike just from the people who travel to Madison, even if that travel has slowed down considerably.
You say we have done an outstanding job, but you also say we can stop doing the things we are doing to do an outstanding job. There are thousands upon thousands more people that have it now than had it when we shut down. Numbers wise, we are in a far worse position now than we were a few weeks ago. I don't know what the answer is. But I do know that if we open now, we just as well have never closed in the first place, because it will just spread like crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts