Are you personally worried about getting the Coronavirus?

Are you personally worried about catching the Coronavirus?

• Yes

Votes: 41 41.0%
  • No

Votes: 59 59.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
If all it takes not to get overwhelmed is to not be ridiculously densely populated, then quit making places like Iowa follow the same rules. Restaurants need to find a way to be safer. Testing for employees. Make them wash their hands every 15 minutes. Hand sanitizer on every table. Just find ways to prevent mass spreading while running businesses. Shutting down was required to slow the sprea . Now it's time to start coming up with ways to keep the spread down while functioning normally.

100% in agreement!!’

100% in agreement!!’
The place I buy supplies at for work makes you call from outside to place your order, then they bring it out to you. They are running a business at full capacity all while avoiding any chance of mass spread. They found a way to make it work. Other businesses need to finds their own ways to make it work. I'm sure most all businesses other than strip clubs can find better ways.

If all it takes not to get overwhelmed is to not be ridiculously densely populated, then quit making places like Iowa follow the same rules. Restaurants need to find a way to be safer. Testing for employees. Make them wash their hands every 15 minutes. Hand sanitizer on every table. Just find ways to prevent mass spreading while running businesses. Shutting down was required to slow the sprea . Now it's time to start coming up with ways to keep the spread down while functioning normally.
New York is unique in its population density, for sure. But don't forget that they identified the strain of virus in New York came from Europe, not China. There were a ton of people coming in from Europe daily when it mattered most. I would think that contributed to the area getting overwhelmed. And, New Jersey and Connecticut are not as dense as New York City and they've been hit hard as well.

Modeling - The Drake equation is a probabilistic argument used to estimate the number of active, communicative extraterrestrial civilizations in the Milky Way galaxy.[1][2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drake_equation
It was meant to generate thought and discussion. It is a theory/hypothesis/educated guess which includes a fair number of variables. Astronomers are currently updating the second variable fp as they find more and more exoplanets around stars and they are developing techniques to actually find signals of water molecules in the light/radiation coming from these star/planet systems to update variable ne. This is how new data gets found and plugged in to a model's equation to generate a new answer. Lot's of variables in the Infectious Disease Model.

The Drake equation is:
08459525b4c05af9b9e1748406e26ad869d9462d

where:
N = the number of civilizations in our galaxy with which communication might be possible (i.e. which are on our current past light cone);
and
R∗ = the average rate of star formation in our galaxy
fp = the fraction of those stars that have planets
ne = the average number of planets that can potentially support life per star that has planets
fl = the fraction of planets that could support life that actually develop life at some point
fi = the fraction of planets with life that actually go on to develop intelligent life (civilizations)
fc = the fraction of civilizations that develop a technology that releases detectable signs of their existence into space
L = the length of time for which such civilizations release detectable signals into space[5][6]

I agree and I was trying to contrast NYC vs LA area density. Can you imagine in this pandemic leaving and arriving at your apartment and having to ride the elevator or pass people on the stairs who are huffing and puffing and spewing spittle. It is a good time to live out on a farm with no one close to you.

Or ride the subway or commuter trains, terrible thought

Last edited:
New York is unique in its population density, for sure. But don't forget that they identified the strain of virus in New York came from Europe, not China. There were a ton of people coming in from Europe daily when it mattered most. I would think that contributed to the area getting overwhelmed. And, New Jersey and Connecticut are not as dense as New York City and they've been hit hard as well.

But a lot of people who work in NYC commute back to Conn. and NJ and spread it. It is exactly what you would think would happen, meaning fast spreading of virus and high infectious rates, according to infectious disease models before any mitigation was put in place.

This really stinks that we can't go to Easter church services and out to the Amana Colonies for brunch. At least our church has been posting the last few services on line to watch.

I keep seeing stories of people saying they didn't think they would get. I wonder if they mean they didn't think they would have bad symptoms or if they really didn't think they would get it at all.

The place I buy supplies at for work makes you call from outside to place your order, then they bring it out to you. They are running a business at full capacity all while avoiding any chance of mass spread. They found a way to make it work. Other businesses need to finds their own ways to make it work. I'm sure most all businesses other than strip clubs can find better ways.

That is what my pharmacy is doing. Good plan. (The supply stuff, not the strip club stuff)

I was trying to figure out how many people normally die per day in New York before the coronavirus and came across this stat. In one week in december, at least 300 people died from the flu. Right now there are like 800 per day dying from COVID. That would be 5600 per week or almost 20 times more. There needs to be a pretty damn big miscount to get those numbers close.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts