Are you personally worried about getting the Coronavirus?

Are you personally worried about catching the Coronavirus?

• Yes

Votes: 41 41.0%
  • No

Votes: 59 59.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just don't get why the Governor will not order everyone to stay at home. The longer she waits the longer it will take to get this thing killed off and for us to go back to our normal lives.

I just got home from the grocery store to get our weekly groceries (by myself) and I'm appalled at how many people were in the store. Nobody keeping their distance and very few people by themselves, they were either bringing spouses or kids with them.

I am not going to comment on anything except about 'how much taxes will go up'.

We in America have a really good life and we do not pay very high taxes. Many of us make good money and with deductions etc we pay adjusted taxes at a 10% rate. Yet we have a very good interstate system, good public schools, etc . We know the country has slipped in education and healthcare ratings and both those areas are so important we should probably have a higher progressive tax to make those two areas better.

The basic needs of people though are generally well met in food, fairly potable water, housing, clothing, sewage control, etc. I am many times amazed at the amount of really good fresh food in our stores when we see what happens in the rest of the world.

If you do not know it the personal wealth in this country is about $87 trillion dollars and about 24% of it is in the hands of a few percent of americans. So believe me there will plenty of DOUGH to be taxed to pay for this problem.

The citizens of the US could pay off the national debt of 23 trillion in a very short time and still have well over $60 trillion in wealth or about $180,000 per man, woman and child.

The US and state govts can put in tolls and slightly increased use taxes on fuel, cigs, vapes, etc and help pay for this problem.

I am not worried about paying some more taxes and we are on social security.

It is just a matter if people have the guts to do it and that is a big question mark.

Those "wealth" numbers have taken a significant hit. And the national debt numbers are jumping almost as fast.

original.jpg

Watch Out

I agree and I was trying to contrast NYC vs LA area density. Can you imagine in this pandemic leaving and arriving at your apartment and having to ride the elevator or pass people on the stairs who are huffing and puffing and spewing spittle. It is a good time to live out on a farm with no one close to you.

Or ride the subway or commuter trains, terrible thought

tumblr_niccp8jtBW1rar68no1_500.gif

Jumping Jacks will keep one fit

:cool:

I just don't get why the Governor will not order everyone to stay at home. The longer she waits the longer it will take to get this thing killed off and for us to go back to our normal lives.

I just got home from the grocery store to get our weekly groceries (by myself) and I'm appalled at how many people were in the store. Nobody keeping their distance and very few people by themselves, they were either bringing spouses or kids with them.
Ordering people to stay home won't ever kill it off completely. It will just slow the spread. Iowa's spread is already plenty slow. Also a shelter in place order doesn't stop people from going to a grocery store so nothing will change there.

Those "wealth" numbers have taken a significant hit. And the national debt numbers are jumping almost as fast.

Those who lost in the stock market will get it back if they just play the long game. Those who got their stocks/mutual funds turned to fixed income early didnt lose much. but the hourly and salaried workers and others without much savings are getting hurt bad.

The economy will rebound but the time it takes could be variable and long.

People that own really good restaurants/eateries and or bars and pubs make a lot of money. If they are smart and save and invest that money they can reopen maybe without much of a loan or money from the Feds.

Some owners of these establishments over the years snort, drink or gamble away their big earnings and that is their problem but they will get some bailout help. And I know and have heard of lots of these small business owners who have lost it all this way.

......and you probably picked up the virus running all over looking for the supplies when you could have stayed at home safe without needing any of it!!

I kid because I care. Just kidding!! :p
Those who lost in the stock market will get it back if they just play the long game. Those who got their stocks/mutual funds turned to fixed income early didnt lose much. but the hourly and salaried workers and others without much savings are getting hurt bad.

People that own really good restaurants/eateries and or bars and pubs make a lot of money. If they are smart and save and invest that money they can reopen maybe without much of a loan or money from the Feds.

Some owners of these establishments over the years snort, drink or gamble away their big earnings and that is their problem but they will get some bailout help. And I know and have heard of lots of these small business owners who have lost it all this way.

<<The economy will rebound but the time it takes could be variable and long>>

Really? Ya think?

I went to cash some time ago, with some minor exceptions, thank goodness, and a smart friend. The national debt increase, both actual and predicted down the road, was the result of massive tax relief for a select few. That is why I converted. Now, with the virus, I look even smarter on the financial end. Sad. I think we will experience some really tough decisions when Corona finally subsides. Where will the $$ come from? Watch your back. Unless, of course, you are so wealthy you don’t have to worry. Maybe.

Wife and I were just out and about. Drove by a McD's drive thru full of people wearing masks in their vehicles. o_O

Then why don't we have about 100,000 positive cases in the state by now? Or 500,000?

65 cases, as of yesterday in Dubuque county and the six counties surrounding it. Out of a population base of a quarter million.Twenty four days after a confirmed case popped up in Dubuque county. Many seven county chunks of the state don't even have that many confirmed cases. Yet we twiddle our thumbs and keep scbools closed and shut non essentials down.

New case numbers are stabilizing, indicating that we may be near peak. Deaths remain remarkable minimal. More people have probably been murdered in Iowa this year than killed by this.

100% in agreement!!’

What is not being calculated is the amount of exposure. Look at NY mass transit numbers (Philadelphia as well). Medical workers.

You are wrong about the stock market. In dollars yes. In value know as the value will decrease by at least a third. Mark my words the insiders which are the 1 percent will gain minimally 20 percent in value at the expense of the rank and file. Frogs in the boiling pot aging see I got my dollars back, oblivious to the real loss .

Last edited:

My 401k dropped about fifteen percent in 2020 1st quarter.

How about the rest of you out there

Then why don't we have about 100,000 positive cases in the state by now? Or 500,000?

65 cases, as of yesterday in Dubuque county and the six counties surrounding it. Out of a population base of a quarter million.Twenty four days after a confirmed case popped up in Dubuque county. Many seven county chunks of the state don't even have that many confirmed cases. Yet we twiddle our thumbs and keep scbools closed and shut non essentials down.

New case numbers are stabilizing, indicating that we may be near peak. Deaths remain remarkable minimal. More people have probably been murdered in Iowa this year than killed by this.

For one thing...not that many tests and medical people don't want to do it

My 401k dropped about fifteen percent in 2020 1st quarter.

How about the rest of you out there

My investments are mostly in stocks.. my wife's are in mutual funds. I'm out performing the funds by a lot. If I hadn't tried to buy the dip on cruiselines I'd be pretty pleased.

That said only insiders will know the timing of federal injections and where the are injecting. You can't beat the system.

For one thing...not that many tests and medical people don't want to do it
They don't see the need to do it when few people are showing the symptoms, and over 90% of those who are tested are coming back negative.

I just don't think the virus is prevelant in Iowa, definitely not prevelant enough for a mandatory shelter in place. Chicago, New York, New Orleans, Detroit? Different story. But even Chicago is doing respectfully well for a metro area of ten million people.

Dubuque county reported it's first case March 17. That's coming up on a month ago. It should have morphed into hundreds of cases by now. Either Dubuque was lucky enough to isolate and quarantine key people quickly and safely or the virus just isn't there even in moderate levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts