Are you personally worried about getting the Coronavirus?

Are you personally worried about catching the Coronavirus?

• Yes

Votes: 41 41.0%
  • No

Votes: 59 59.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Fauci has served under 6 presidents during his decades long illustrious career as a medical professional with contacts all over the world. Think I will stick with him. In the meantime quit obsessing about what you see on right wing conspiracy based fake news. Instead, read what other posters have written about predictive models and their nature. Once you understand the logic, you will likely change some of your views.

You are just banging your head against the wall trying to get some of these people who have a major butthurt for Fauci to understand the idea that this is all a huge first time experiment. Funny they dont complain about Dr Birx who is in line with Fauci and on the same stage. The fact that some people think Fauci has to be wrong and is backpedaling just shows they do not understand how hypothesis and modeling work.

Yesterday Fauci said it so succinctly and I paraphrased his statement on here iirc. He said roughly, you have a hypothesis/model of how we think infections and spread will transpire. the model has lots of data going into the equations. Each day or time you gather more data you plug the new data in with all the data into the equations and you probably get new results.

I will put in another post on theory/hypothesis/modeling of a physical science example.

Certainly, there can be side effects like any other pharmaceutical product. The one problem I have is the statement at the end of the article: "still 'no strong evidence' the drug could treat coronavirus." That statement doesn't appear to be true if you listen to the countless doctors and even staunch democrats now that claim otherwise.

Isn't hydroxychloroquine being given with an antibiotic and maybe other drugs? If multiple drugs are being used then how can they say it is just this one drug that is doing the cure. That fails scientific logic of testing one variable at a time in a study/experiment. If someone is getting really bad off then use the TV show 'House" method of just shooting multiple drugs into the patient in a 40 minute tv show to finally get a cure.

There are researchers running probably Cloroquine ONLY trials to see if it works, works some, works all the time, the dosage and durations, side effects. I haven't seen any final results on these single factor trials.

Fauci has served under 6 presidents during his decades long illustrious career as a medical professional with contacts all over the world. Think I will stick with him. In the meantime quit obsessing about what you see on right wing conspiracy based fake news. Instead, read what other posters have written about predictive models and their nature. Once you understand the logic, you will likely change some of your views.
Just got home and did some recon. Dubuque County reported it's first confirmed case on March 17. Since that time, Dubuque County, and the six counties that border it in three states, have confirmed a total of 65 cases. Out of a population base of probably 250,000.

And yet.....
  • Schools and colleges remain cancelled
  • All school and college extra curricular activities are on hold
  • Graduation ceremonies, and graduation parties, are in jeopardy
  • Weddings are hold
  • Restaurants, churches, movie theaters, and many businesses remain closed
  • Good Friday fish fries were cancelled at all supper clubs and Catholic churches. For most churches, the good Friday fish fry is topped only by the annual church picnic as a revenue generator.
  • Many of our friends and neighbors are furloughed or looking for work.

All the local ball diamonds and high school football fields in our county turned their lights on at dusk tonight. People are gathering at them. I drove by our local ball diamonds where our local summer leisure services coordinators were showing support. Most of them are school teachers and are not working at the present time.

Again, 65 confirmed cases in a seven county area in twenty four days. Your beloved Dr. Fauci can shove it right up his hind quarters.

Those predictive models are about as reliable as a vending machine and the decades long medical professional is backpedaling as we speak. Just because it's right wing doesn't mean it's fake news, it just means you don't agree with it.

Fauci can't go wrong. Even if the numbers fall far short of his original predictions he can pin it on the social distancing.

you are wrong on all counts. But, So be it.

you are wrong on all counts. But, So be it.
This is a forum. You are entitled to your opinion.

But the fact that Fauci is backpedaling from his original death numbers is not an opinion. It's a fact.

You are retired and dont have to work anymore. That's a fact too. Unfortunately many others don't have that option.

Get used to the term herd immunity. It's going to end this pandemic as much or more than social distancing ever did.

You are just banging your head against the wall trying to get some of these people who have a major butthurt for Fauci to understand the idea that this is all a huge first time experiment. Funny they dont complain about Dr Birx who is in line with Fauci and on the same stage. The fact that some people think Fauci has to be wrong and is backpedaling just shows they do not understand how hypothesis and modeling work.

Yesterday Fauci said it so succinctly and I paraphrased his statement on here iirc. He said roughly, you have a hypothesis/model of how we think infections and spread will transpire. the model has lots of data going into the equations. Each day or time you gather more data you plug the new data in with all the data into the equations and you probably get new results.

I will put in another post on theory/hypothesis/modeling of a physical science example.

yeah. I have a PhD in stats & research techniques. It’s old so likely not your league, or that of others on this site, but I have taught grad level propaganda techniques so I recognize them pretty fast, along with folks who do not understand variables.

Just got home and did some recon. Dubuque County reported it's first confirmed case on March 17. Since that time, Dubuque County, and the six counties that border it in three states, have confirmed a total of 65 cases. Out of a population base of probably 250,000.

And yet.....
  • Weddings are hold
  • Good Friday fish fries were cancelled at all supper clubs and Catholic churches. For most churches, the good Friday fish fry is topped only by the annual church picnic as a revenue generator.

All the local ball diamonds and high school football fields in our county turned their lights on at dusk tonight. People are gathering at them. I drove by our local ball diamonds where our local summer leisure services coordinators were showing support. Most of them are school teachers and are not working at the present time.

Again, 65 confirmed cases in a seven county area in twenty four days. Your beloved Dr. Fauci can shove it right up his hind quarters.

I am sorry, Northside. You are entitled to your opinions. But you are not entitled to make up your own facts. Let’s just call a truce, move on, and see what happens down the road. As to your comments above, my grandpa used to say, a couple of snowflakes do not make a blizzard. That is true of cherry picked anecdotal “evidence.”

Fauci put the fear of God in our governor's and many of them have ground their states to a halt. Birx is just as bad, or worse. Birx suggested we may have to live like this for up to eighteen months, or until the virus disappears, or until we have a vaccine for it.

The virus will not disappear. It's here to stay. But many of us are developing immunity as we speak. There are now stories everyday from California to Illinois to New York of this mysterious two week flu people got last December, that their doctors couldn't quite diagnose. But they got over it.

I am sorry, Northside. You are entitled to your opinions. But you are not entitled to make up your own facts. Let’s just call a truce, move on, and see what happens down the road. As to your comments above, my grandpa used to say, a couple of snowflakes do not make a blizzard. That is true of cherry picked anecdotal “evidence.”
Name one part of my post, besides the last sentence, that is an opinion. Let alone cherry picked.

This is a forum. You are entitled to your opinion.

But the fact that Fauci is backpedaling from his original death numbers is not an opinion. It's a fact.

You are retired and dont have to work anymore. That's a fact too. Unfortunately many others don't have that option.

Get used to the term herd immunity. It's going to end this pandemic as much or more than social distancing ever did.

You are clearly entitled to your opinion on Fauci’s views. You are not entitled to creating your own set of facts. You are correct that I am retired. I have earned the right after 40 years as an educator working to make life better for young people, I pay thousands of dollars in taxes annually and pump thousands more into charities and the broad economy. I am not rich. My first teaching salary was $6500 a year. But I managed my $ well, and I lead a simple lifestyle with hobbies that are not expensive. I have three married children, 7 grandkids that I adore. I am hoping and praying to have a few more years to reap the benefits of a life well lived and appreciated. I hope you have the same opportunities. So, I am not willing to die from this virus, even though some think I have lived long enough and do not deserve to hang around much longer. As Kurt Vonnegut said, “So it goes.” (Cats Cradle). Be well.

Total Population?
USA is approximately 91 residents per square mile (331 million people by 5823490 miles or so)
Sweden is is 58 residents per square mile or so.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/countries/countries-by-density/
I stand corrected. Not that much of a difference though. My original point still stands. No lockdown, they should have hundreds of thousands of deaths by now if the doomsdayers' predictions were correct. That's clearly not happening. How can that be explained?

Isn't hydroxychloroquine being given with an antibiotic and maybe other drugs? If multiple drugs are being used then how can they say it is just this one drug that is doing the cure. That fails scientific logic of testing one variable at a time in a study/experiment. If someone is getting really bad off then use the TV show 'House" method of just shooting multiple drugs into the patient in a 40 minute tv show to finally get a cure.

There are researchers running probably Cloroquine ONLY trials to see if it works, works some, works all the time, the dosage and durations, side effects. I haven't seen any final results on these single factor trials.
It's given with zinc. I haven't heard anything about an antibiotic, nor would that make any sense.

Yeah, somehow my 5 didn't go. I stand corrected. Not that much of a difference though. My original point still stands. No lockdown, they should have hundreds of thousands of deaths by now if the doomsdayers' predictions were correct. That's clearly not happening. How can that be explained?

Their mortality rate is higher than other countries in the area that did lock down. However, they have not seen the economic issues yet. Interesting chart below.

And yet.....
  • Weddings are hold

I'm right there with you that everything didn't need to close down at the same time. If we were going into a straight up lockdown to eradicate it, that would be one thing. But that was never a realistic option. So what rural places did was basically shut down everything too fast. It was a waste of time. But that's only in hindsight. When they did it, there was no way to know how unspread the virus was. If they waited until they knew for sure, we could have ended up similar to New York. Probably not as bad due to their congested living. But pretty bad.

You are clearly entitled to your opinion on Fauci’s views. You are not entitled to creating your own set of facts. You are correct that I am retired. I have earned the right after 40 years as an educator working to make life better for young people, I pay thousands of dollars in taxes annually and pump thousands more into charities and the broad economy. I am not rich. My first teaching salary was $6500 a year. But I managed my $ well, and I lead a simple lifestyle with hobbies that are not expensive. I have three married children, 7 grandkids that I adore. I am hoping and praying to have a few more years to reap the benefits of a life well lived and appreciated. I hope you have the same opportunities. So, I am not willing to die from this virus, even though some think I have lived long enough and do not deserve to hang around much longer. As Kurt Vonnegut said, “So it goes.” (Cats Cradle). Be well.
Just because others go out doesn't mean you have to tho. You would still control your own destiny.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts