Are you personally worried about getting the Coronavirus?

Are you personally worried about catching the Coronavirus?

• Yes

Votes: 41 41.0%
  • No

Votes: 59 59.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Boy, you can't just print money. If a country gets to the point of having to print money, that's about the worst sign economically-speaking there is. That is what decreases the value of a dollar. That is economic death and the reason countries try to avoid that as much as possible. Research countries that have done that and the outcomes. Not good.

I'm not saying I don't want lives saved, but when do you and some on here accept "natural selection" or evolution? Unfortunately, we have to live with epidemics, pandemics. People choose to live with chronic disease or unfortunately have genetic conditions that do not do well with certain viruses. Maybe this is all above us and a larger plan that we have little control over. Some may feel a lot of this is out of our control and we are at the mercy of the higher above.

I hate to be blunt about it, but I'm a realist. I may not think that when I get older and higher risk. It has to be an uncomfortable feeling so I understand your fear. Sorry about that.

I don't think what you just said should offend anyone. Everyone has their own choice if they want to self isolate. Everyone else going about their business only affects older people if they decide to go about their business too.

That is a good one for everyone to read. It lays out the counter-argument to the collective decision the world has made pretty effectively. We need to keep our eyes on this situation, and be open to the possibility that the collective decision most of the world has made might not be the optimum one.

This recent Time article looks at the exact same situation, and oddly they draw the exact opposite conclusion of National Review.

That is a good one for everyone to read. It lays out the counter-argument to the collective decision the world has made pretty effectively. We need to keep our eyes on this situation, and be open to the possibility that the collective decision most of the world has made might not be the optimum one.

This recent Time article looks at the exact same situation, and oddly they draw the exact opposite conclusion of National Review.
Well, obviously it isn't backfiring lol.

The Fed Reserve does think they can print out of this....see the Great Recession. It's not really printing but balance sheet transfers.

When the Ponzi scheme known as fractional reserve lending breaks down and they print...you all our happy as your 401k goes up but in reality the guy at the other end just got fatter off of you and you got poorer.

Without fractional reserve lending our standard of living would be much lower.

How much is too much? Maybe we will find out but the Great Recession didn't teach us.

Yes technically the Fed Reserve increases reserves/credit but on the balance sheet doesnt the Treasury then print that amount of money or it could also just increase the debt through voodoo. :)

Sweden got its first case the same time the U.S. got its first case... No lockdown for them.

"Sweden sees just 77 new deaths from coronavirus and number of new infections drops by a quarter to just 544 as nation continues to resist lockdown"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8208397/Sweden-sees-just-77-new-deaths-coronavirus.html

Here’s Another perspective of the same numbers. :)

https://time.com/5817412/sweden-coronavirus/

Sweden has a relatively high case fatality rate: as of April 8, 7.68% of the Swedes who have tested positive for COVID-19 have died of the virus. Neighboring countries, like Norway and Denmark, have case fatality rates of 1.46% and 3.85% respectively. (The U.S. case fatality rate is 3.21%.) While Sweden’s elevated case fatality rate could be a result of its low testing rates compared to its neighbors, experts say Sweden’s laissez-faire approach could also be to blame.

Sweden has a relatively high case fatality rate: as of April 8, 7.68% of the Swedes who have tested positive for COVID-19 have died of the virus. Neighboring countries, like Norway and Denmark, have case fatality rates of 1.46% and 3.85% respectively. (The U.S. case fatality rate is 3.21%.) While Sweden’s elevated case fatality rate could be a result of its low testing rates compared to its neighbors, experts say Sweden’s laissez-faire approach could also be to blame.
Sweden's first case happened the same time as the U.S. Sweden's population is much more dense than the United States' population. If all the doomsdayers were right, Sweden would have hundreds of thousands of deaths by now, since they didn't lock down. Percentages in this case don't mean jack shit.

Sweden's first case happened the same time as the U.S. Sweden's population is much more dense than the United States' population. If all the doomsdayers were right, Sweden would have hundreds of thousands of deaths by now, since they didn't lock down. Percentages in this case don't mean jack shit.

I understand that perspective and appreciate it. But, why does Sweden have a higher percentage than its' neighbors that were more stringent in their reactions? Again, just presenting another perspective of how the numbers look. Does that make sense?

I understand that perspective and appreciate it. But, why does Sweden have a higher percentage than its' neighbors that were more stringent in their reactions? Again, just presenting another perspective of how the numbers look. Does that make sense?
Why does Italy have a higher percentage than any of its neighbors in Europe? Lockdowns and social distancing just prolong it. See the YT video I posted earlier.

Why does Italy have a higher percentage than any of its neighbors in Europe? Lockdowns and social distancing just prolong it. See the YT video I posted earlier.

I agree with that logic. It will be interesting to see if flattening/prolonging is a better strategy overall than not locking down. And, folks need to make sure and 'hear' both sides.

Also, what do you think of this? I was hoping this was going to be helpful.

Fauci has served under 6 presidents during his decades long illustrious career as a medical professional with contacts all over the world. Think I will stick with him. In the meantime quit obsessing about what you see on right wing conspiracy based fake news. Instead, read what other posters have written about predictive models and their nature. Once you understand the logic, you will likely change some of your views.
Those predictive models are about as reliable as a vending machine and the decades long medical professional is backpedaling as we speak. Just because it's right wing doesn't mean it's fake news, it just means you don't agree with it.

Fauci can't go wrong. Even if the numbers fall far short of his original predictions he can pin it on the social distancing.

I agree with that logic. It will be interesting to see if flattening/prolonging is a better strategy overall than not locking down. And, folks need to make sure and 'hear' both sides.

Also, what do you think of this? I was hoping this was going to be helpful.

Certainly, there can be side effects like any other pharmaceutical product. The one problem I have is the statement at the end of the article: "still 'no strong evidence' the drug could treat coronavirus." That statement doesn't appear to be true if you listen to the countless doctors and even staunch democrats now that claim otherwise.

Certainly, there can be side effects like any other pharmaceutical product. The one problem I have is the statement at the end of the article: "still 'no strong evidence' the drug could treat coronavirus." That statement doesn't appear to be true if you listen to the countless doctors and even staunch democrats now that claim otherwise.

Lots of information out there on chloroquine. I hope it turns out to be a difference maker.

Their higher death rate has to be because of less testing right? I can't think of a reason why not social distancing would make the people who do get it die at a higher rate.

On the flip side, I don't see how social distancing doesn't help slow the spread even a little, which is pretty much what TK is suggesting. There has to be other variables in play. Perhaps they're a more healthy country. Maybe strong lungs are in their DNA. TK says they are more densely populated, but I've also heard the opposite. At least I thought I did. Can anyone confirm if Sweden is indeed more densely populated?

Their higher death rate has to be because of less testing right? I can't think of a reason why not social distancing would make the people who do get it die at a higher rate.

On the flip side, I don't see how social distancing doesn't help slow the spread even a little, which is pretty much what TK is suggesting. There has to be other variables in play. Perhaps they're a more healthy country. Maybe strong lungs are in their DNA. TK says they are more densely populated, but I've also heard the opposite. At least I thought I did. Can anyone confirm if Sweden is indeed more densely populated?
It's around 59 persons per sq mile in Sweden and about 8 or 9 persons per sq mile in the U.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts