Are you personally worried about getting the Coronavirus?

Are you personally worried about catching the Coronavirus?

• Yes

Votes: 41 41.0%
  • No

Votes: 59 59.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Timberlake! :)

There are probably people in Montana & Wyoming that have no idea what's going on. Cheyenne is Wyoming's largest city, and it's around half the population of Iowa City/Coralville/N Liberty. You drive like forever there without seeing a house.

I guess I am OK with an overreaction at first to get everyone's attention. I was in Florida when this started and there wasn't much of a reaction at first. Their numbers spiked and they reacted.

Soon will be the time that we will need to take a look and see if the numbers will allow businesses and schools (and the rest of what you mentioned) can start to return to normal. I am not a doomsdayer (sp?), but I do think if we try to return to normal too soon (not knowing what that means), it will be harder to react the 2nd time.
Based on the numbers in my area, and the amount of time that has elapsed from the first confirmed case, I think the area I live in should be reopened by a week from Monday. But it won't

There is nothing to see here. Move along.

First case in Sweden was February 4th. First in Iowa was March 8th. They are a month ahead of us. But remember TK, you think the numbers have already peaked, right?

Based on the numbers in my area, and the amount of time that has elapsed from the first confirmed case, I think the area I live in should be reopened by a week from Monday. But it won't

There is nothing to see here. Move along.

Interesting. Do you think this should be a county decision instead of a state decision? And yes, I realize Iowa has done things a bit differently than Illinois and Wisconsin. I live in Linn County which has the highest number of cases in Iowa so far (255). I would assume they would not reopen as soon as your area - or maybe that is not a good assumption? :)

I guess I am OK with an overreaction at first to get everyone's attention. I was in Florida when this started and there wasn't much of a reaction at first. Their numbers spiked and they reacted.

Soon will be the time that we will need to take a look and see if the numbers will allow businesses and schools (and the rest of what you mentioned) can start to return to normal. I am not a doomsdayer (sp?), but I do think if we try to return to normal too soon (not knowing what that means), it will be harder to react the 2nd time.

That's a good point about going hard at the beginning to make everyone more serious. After we open back up, hopefully people will make safer choices than they ever would have had we not closed down.

Interesting. Do you think this should be a county decision instead of a state decision? And yes, I realize Iowa has done things a bit differently than Illinois and Wisconsin. I live in Linn County which has the highest number of cases in Iowa so far (255). I would assume they would not reopen as soon as your area - or maybe that is not a good assumption? :)
It's hard to say. If it is opened county by county, Linn and Johnson will be two of the last counties opened. Guess where those residents will go to eat and shop? Open it state by state and you know what people in closed states who live close to open states will do.

On the other hand in states like Illinois and Wisconsin there are counties that have hundreds, even thousands of cases, and counties that have yet to record a case. Is it fair for all counties to have the same restrictions? Tough decisions ahead.

It's hard to say. If it is opened county by county, Linn and Johnson will be two of the last counties opened. Guess where those residents will go to eat and shop? Open it state by state and you know what people in closed states who live close to open states will do.

On the other hand in states like Illinois and Wisconsin there are counties that have hundreds, even thousands of cases, and counties that have yet to record a case. Is it fair for all counties to have the same restrictions? Tough decisions ahead.

Indeed ... tough decisions ahead. That's why I think it needed to be basically a possible overreaction first, and then come back and revisit. Early decisions need to be swift and overreaching to make the point and not let individual entities (cities, counties, etc.) decide too late.

For example, when the NBA had its' first case (Rudy Gobert for Utah), they cancelled that game. However, they had other games that night and were almost ready to start a game later in Sacramento (I believe) before they decided to cancel it. They knew how that would look if someone had tested positive sometime after that game. It turns out, a teammate (Donovan Mitchell) also tested positive. Then, some other players from the Lakers, Nets, and Celtics (I believe) all tested positive at some point. The decision to act quickly and overreaching seemed a bit too quick at first, but was probably the right decision once all of the information came out.

Now, deciding when to go back (for the NBA and other sports), and (hopefully) not having another positive shut things down again, will be another touch decision. I am glad they are discussing different possibilities in different sports. It will be interesting to see when it happens and if there will be fans in attendance - and who decides to go.

I stand corrected. Not that much of a difference though. My original point still stands. No lockdown, they should have hundreds of thousands of deaths by now if the doomsdayers' predictions were correct. That's clearly not happening. How can that be explained?

Not that much of a difference. Fifty percent higher, 91 to 58, is not much???, wow I hope you dont build cars to those tolerances. Just a little jab, nothing serious.

I heard Azithromycin Z-paks were the antibiotic of choice to be given with Chloroquin.
I'm not sure what their thought process would be for using an antibiotic on a virus. The only thing I could think of is if they give that since hydroxychloroquine has some immunosuppressive properties, but that shouldn't have anything to do with fighting the virus.

Interesting thing I found out today. Since the COVID-19 has started, there has been zero deaths attributed to flu or pneumonia! Why pray tell you ask? Because all the regular flu and pneumonia deaths are now being listed as COVID-19 as cause of death. When regular flu and pneumonia deaths are added to the 3% death rate of the COVID-19 it raises the rates up to a 5% death rate. No one out there in the media is even talking about this! The health organizations out there are not differentiating the actual cause of deaths. The numbers are skewed and nobody is making them get it right. The media likes to sensationalize everything to create fear and panic and never show the real facts. The health organizations aren’t doing anything to dispel these numbers either. When are they gonna tell us the real truth? Probably never, cause you know some people out there are making a dime off of this.

Their higher death rate has to be because of less testing right? I can't think of a reason why not social distancing would make the people who do get it die at a higher rate.

On the flip side, I don't see how social distancing doesn't help slow the spread even a little, which is pretty much what TK is suggesting. There has to be other variables in play. Perhaps they're a more healthy country. Maybe strong lungs are in their DNA. TK says they are more densely populated, but I've also heard the opposite. At least I thought I did. Can anyone confirm if Sweden is indeed more densely populated?

If you set aside the case fatality rate, they also have 2x the number of COVID deaths per million than Norway, and >2x Denmark/Finland/Iceland. However, their overall number is still pretty small for a country of 10 million. They are essentially in the middle of the pack, worldwide.

Will they be better off in a few months for having gone through everything faster? Will be interesting to see.

I'm not sure what their thought process would be for using an antibiotic on a virus. The only thing I could think of is if they give that since hydroxychloroquine has some immunosuppressive properties, but that shouldn't have anything to do with fighting the virus.

That class of antibiotic has anti-inflammatory effects, and considering that the health issues seem to be secondary to a massive inflammatory response in the lungs, perhaps that explains the effect?

Isn't hydroxychloroquine being given with an antibiotic and maybe other drugs? If multiple drugs are being used then how can they say it is just this one drug that is doing the cure. That fails scientific logic of testing one variable at a time in a study/experiment. If someone is getting really bad off then use the TV show 'House" method of just shooting multiple drugs into the patient in a 40 minute tv show to finally get a cure.

There are researchers running probably Cloroquine ONLY trials to see if it works, works some, works all the time, the dosage and durations, side effects. I haven't seen any final results on these single factor trials.

There is a study that started enrolling patients on April 2, so in another week or two there should be some results reported. It is a blinded, placebeo-controlled, randomized study that aims to enroll 500 patients.

https://www.nih.gov/news-events/new...chloroquine-potential-therapy-covid-19-begins

This is a forum. You are entitled to your opinion.

But the fact that Fauci is backpedaling from his original death numbers is not an opinion. It's a fact.

You are retired and dont have to work anymore. That's a fact too. Unfortunately many others don't have that option.

Get used to the term herd immunity. It's going to end this pandemic as much or more than social distancing ever did.

But if the model is exactly the same, but the input data has changed, is that a backpedal? A backpedal would be revising the model, not updating the model with current data.

I stand corrected. Not that much of a difference though. My original point still stands. No lockdown, they should have hundreds of thousands of deaths by now if the doomsdayers' predictions were correct. That's clearly not happening. How can that be explained?

They are 11th, worldwide, in deaths per million of population (88). The US is 15th (57).

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

I have to revise what I just posted earlier, Norway is actually at 1/4 of Sweden's number, not half (21 deaths per million).

For the US, New York has 400 deaths per million population, and then 4 other states are above Sweden's rate: New Jersey (218), Michigan (162), Louisianna (129), and Connecticut (125). If you removed New York/New Jersey, the US would probably have a rate more on par with Norway.

So in terms of how many people are dying now, Sweden is not doing great. But the total number of deaths does not look that different from an extreme flu season, and they have not totally disrupted their lives. And will they progress toward herd immunity faster? Is there such a thing as herd immunity with COVID (we presume there will be, but don't know for sure)?

This thing is not clear-cut: National Review states that the Sweden experiment proves that harsh lockdown is not necessary, and Time states that the Sweden experiment is going to backfire and prove that the lockdown is necessary. How about we keep an open mind, keep our eyes on the situation, and try to learn what we can instead of immediately politicizing every tiny scrap of data?

First case in Sweden was February 4th. First in Iowa was March 8th. They are a month ahead of us. But remember TK, you think the numbers have already peaked, right?

My wife works for Mayo Clinic and has access to internal Covid stuff. She showed me a chart that indicates there was a Covid death back in December. So this thing has been around far earlier than March. Probably more like 4-5 months. If course all the lies out there would make everyone believe otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts