Are you personally worried about getting the Coronavirus?

Are you personally worried about catching the Coronavirus?

• Yes

Votes: 41 41.0%
  • No

Votes: 59 59.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Social distancing is working but are we pausing the inevitable? And creating a bigger problem? Time will tell.

That is the other fine line and balancing act. How long are you willing to stall and F up the economy by stretching it out. But, we are deep now so might as well protect all we can.

If you look at Iowa, and how their current projections can easily be handled with the resources available, it makes sense for the restrictions to be less severe. Of course, just because state-wide resources can handle state-wide peaks does not mean that locally there might not be problems. Have heard anecdotally that Linn county is struggling a bit right now.

As stated by the doc in that article, in Iowa at least you have the flexibility to loosen a bit if want but still have the high risk (long term care, etc.) on lock down.

If you look at Iowa, and how their current projections can easily be handled with the resources available, it makes sense for the restrictions to be less severe. Of course, just because state-wide resources can handle state-wide peaks does not mean that locally there might not be problems. Have heard anecdotally that Linn county is struggling a bit right now.

Boy, it's proven once that sucker gets into a nursing home, it's rampant and shit goes off the rails.

Social distancing is working but are we pausing the inevitable? And creating a bigger problem? Time will tell.

Maybe if a vaccine is never successful, or successful enough.

Or if people stop social isolation, because of economic reasons, or just fatigue from being isolated.

But to not do social isolation, the number of projected deaths is so high. It was too grim of an outcome to take.

If we tried our best, and the virus infects a huge part of our population, and we see that huge death count. People will obviously be extremely distraught. But at least people will say that we did all we could.

Boy, it's proven once that sucker gets into a nursing home, it's rampant and shit goes off the rails.

I wonder if the countries where the elderly prominently live with their children, if those countries do worse, than those that have more nursing homes or independent living.

Easy to throw these ideas out there. But without a lot of data, you pretty much can convince yourself of anything. (not referring to what you said, but my own question.)

Last edited:
I agree that he didn't put hospital beds and resources into perspective. I'm thinking he was hoping most wouldn't have to be hospitalized having the healthy acquire the virus, but, that is a damn bold risk. That's all chips in there.

Yeah, I don't personally think the "let the healthy people get it" would work.

You could do something special for nursing homes. Maybe that could.

But there are a lot of 50+ year old parents. A lot of people who look like Boris Johnson, who don't view themselves as weak/vulnerable.

Hopefully the number continues to go down. Social distancing is working.
It is but is it also creating situations like the one that broke out at Cedar Rapids Bever Park yesterday? Those kids would normally be in school at two in the afternoon, if not high school sports.

The real challenge is ahead as the weather breaks and people are asked to shelter "just a little longer". And "two more weeks" becomes two more weeks, then four more weeks. There is potential for real turmoil in big cities like Chicago, etc.

I wonder if the countries where the elderly prominently live with their children, if those countries do worse, than those that have more nursing homes or independent living.

Easy to throw these ideas out there. But without a lot of data, you pretty much can convince yourself of anything. (not referring to what you said, but my own question.)

I've heard in Italy they have multiple generations living under the same roof. Might be an explanation of why they were so bad off.

Yeah, I don't personally think the "let the healthy people get it" would work.

You could do something special for nursing homes. Maybe that could.

But there are a lot of 50+ year old parents. A lot of people who look like Boris Johnson, who don't view themselves as weak/vulnerable.

I kind of agree with his philosophy. Isolation delays or lengthens out the pandemic. In addition and probably a very important part of what he is saying is that people aren't building up immunity to it as a society, so, the situation might be just as bad subsequent years instead of getting the majority the antibodies to be immune to it going forward. I see that point as well. It's a balancing act.

I wonder with the other historical pandemics how many years they actually affected the population, like the Spanish Flue, Bubonic plague, Hong Cong Flu, etc..

Found this which is interesting: https://www.visualcapitalist.com/history-of-pandemics-deadliest/

I kind of agree with his philosophy. Isolation delays or lengthens out the pandemic. In addition and probably a very important part of what he is saying is that people aren't building up immunity to it as a society, so, the situation might be just as bad subsequent years instead of getting the majority the antibodies to be immune to it going forward. I see that point as well. It's a balancing act.

I wonder with the other historical pandemics how many years they actually affected the population, like the Spanish Flue, Bubonic plague, Hong Cong Flu, etc..

Found this which is interesting: https://www.visualcapitalist.com/history-of-pandemics-deadliest/

Maybe once each communities see's what their peak is going to be. At least first peak. Start being more lax.

But remember, a lot of models said a successful first wave would then be followed by even worst 2nd wave. As complacency sets in.

Interesting article that analyzes the hospital/patient possibilities for every city in the US

Iowa City is mentioned as being perhaps the most prepared/pandemic ready area in America

https://www.washingtonpost.com/grap...um=email&utm_source=newsletter&wpisrc=nl_most

:cool:

IC is a major research with far more beds than what the locals could need. They have great doctors but don't tend to stay as they gain experience....but some of the best anywhere.. Nurse staff tends to be young and shy on experience. But I would put it up against Barnes or Chicago on many things.

Parking and family accomodations stink. The Carver parking Nazi s are terrible with families under stress. The family parking instructions for over flow are confusing.

Hopefully the number continues to go down. Social distancing is working.

Social distancing is Essential and is certainly working

If folk can stay home the possibility of catching the virus is extremely low

Not that easy for some, perhaps most people, but there are ways of making if less prisonlike

Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu

Watching a series on Netflix right now that is very good: Bordertown, Scandanavian Noir

Like the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy

:cool:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts