Are you personally worried about getting the Coronavirus?

Are you personally worried about catching the Coronavirus?

• Yes

Votes: 41 41.0%
  • No

Votes: 59 59.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, kudos to you, for the for the job you are doing.

The ability for getting things delivered does have an impact on preventing the spread and saving lives.
As long as there's no viruses on the packages:). I've gone to a residence and found a parcel from the previous day untouched. Some people are using the 24-48 hour rule. Porch pirates do not so these people are on their own.

Fortunately we are not delivering a huge amount of valuable items (big screen TV's, electronic equipment) like we would during the holiday Rush. It's mostly stuff from WalMart, Sam's, retail stores, boxed meals, meds, dog and cat food, Easter goodies. Not quite as much value, or temptation to steal.

Yea but how many of those people actually died from dehydration?
Very few smartpants. It was mostly elderly who lived in older buildings with no fans or air conditioning and kept their windows closed for fear of crime. Most fatalities were, wait for it, people with pre existing health conditions who were already vunerable.

You may be right and I will be the first to concede it. But you have to have a rebuttal for everything don't you? I guess that's why they call this a forum:rolleyes:

Last edited:
I heard last nite and maybe you have seen some numbers that Italy might be over their peak, Spain also. Their death and infection numbers have dropped somewhat. NYC might just be at this point.

This will be another unknown time as to how the curve will look. Will the curve go down very slowly where there are still a lot of deaths each day for an extended period or will that curve drop pretty fast. Hoping for the latter.

NYTimes reporting says researchers found majority of virus infections in NYCity have genome from European origin and spread. Researchers say much more upfront testing would have told this story earlier and guided a scientific travel shutdown since European travel was not restricted against experts warnings. There will be a lot of evidence found to guide future outbreaks and leadership action. For instance, as I mentioned yesterday about the news of 40,000 travelers came from China after the China travel ban may indicate which genomes struck WA state and the West Coast through their airports.

Well they're not even halfway there and they're hopeful that deaths will peak this week or next.

I'm talking fatalities in the city of Chicago. Nearly 1,000 died in the heat wave.

If it peaks soon, that will only be 6 weeks after it started. By then they will be really close to halfway. At the bare minimum they would take 6 weeks to drop back down to zero at the same rate. That obviously isn't going to happen tho. Not only are they going to continue to have some deaths every day for the rest of the year, but there will almost certainly be a second wave. I'll predict Cook county will have over 1000 deaths by mid may.

Very few smartpants. It was mostly elderly who lived in older buildings with no fans or air conditioning and kept their windows closed for fear of crime. Most fatalities were, wait for it, people with pre existing health conditions who were already vunerable.

You may be right and I will be the first to concede it. But you have to have a rebuttal for everything don't you? I guess that's why they call this a forum:rolleyes:
It sounds to me like they were just counting every death as a heatwave death to make it look worse than it was. There's no way it was worse than any other summer day. Bill Clinton probably had stock in air conditioners or something. If the internet was around back then I probably could have dug up a story about a guy who fell out of an airplane without a parachute because of the heat.

NYTimes reporting says researchers found majority of virus infections in NYCity have genome from European origin and spread. Researchers say much more upfront testing would have told this story earlier and guided a scientific travel shutdown since European travel was not restricted against experts warnings. There will be a lot of evidence found to guide future outbreaks and leadership action. For instance, as I mentioned yesterday about the news of 40,000 travelers came from China after the China travel ban may indicate which genomes struck WA state and the West Coast through their airports.
One thing about this whole deal is this is the perfect virus for a test run on how to do this right. Pretty much every country screwed up except South Korea. What we learn from this could save millions of lives if a worse one comes around.

Many local newspaper editorial boards, including Dubuque's are taking the angle that a governor order shutdown would wield more menace and promote more social distancing.

Iowa's low numbers of confirmed cases seem to indicate fhat many people know what to do without a governor telling them to do it, which has been Reynolds' point all along.

I think I heard some other states leaders are evaluating the metrics and her decision-making. She was first questioned by others but now viewed as a model to some. But, it depends on the states. Wyoming is going to do things different than Maryland.

I personally think she's done a good job. She's led, been a professional, made sensible decisions she believed in that is best for the state and didn't cave to outside influence, all while avoiding panic.

If it peaks soon, that will only be 6 weeks after it started. By then they will be really close to halfway. At the bare minimum they would take 6 weeks to drop back down to zero at the same rate. That obviously isn't going to happen tho. Not only are they going to continue to have some deaths every day for the rest of the year, but there will almost certainly be a second wave. I'll predict Cook county will have over 1000 deaths by mid may.
That's the X factor. So we've stopped the crazy increasing. Then slowly start recovering and having less and less new cases. At what point to the impatient folks at home call it good and go running around again? I mean getting us down to zero seems impossibly unreasonable. But how fast would it start growing again whenever we do? Talk about a pain in the ass. To open things back up and then close em down again in a short period of time would be such a mess but that's what I see happening here. Hope I'm wrong

I keep hearing many leaders nationwide stating this morning that the curve is flattening. So, are we peaking or now going down the other side of the hill or just plateauing for now? Death rates sound to be less than anticipated.

That's the X factor. So we've stopped the crazy increasing. Then slowly start recovering and having less and less new cases. At what point to the impatient folks at home call it good and go running around again? I mean getting us down to zero seems impossibly unreasonable. But how fast would it start growing again whenever we do? Talk about a pain in the ass. To open things back up and then close em down again in a short period of time would be such a mess but that's what I see happening here. Hope I'm wrong

I understand they will phase in letting people get back. Slowly lighten up the shelter in place, first allowing essentials, then maybe the somewhat essential, etc.. You get what I mean. It's not going to be all or nothing. Like restaurants or potential gathering, I think they will have restrictions at first.

I don't see how it won't just instantly start getting worse the second we open up again. How could it not?

What I don't get is clearly New York got flooded with a lot of people flying in, so they must have gotten a pretty big head start on places like Iowa. So how can the projected peaks of Iowa and New York be predicted to be so close to each other? I would think the projected peak for Iowa would be at least a month or two after New York. Anyone have any thoughts on what I'm missing here with that thought process?

One thing about this whole deal is this is the perfect virus for a test run on how to do this right. Pretty much every country screwed up except South Korea. What we learn from this could save millions of lives if a worse one comes around.

Exactly, and we really need serious leadership here that will not dismantle Pandemic Govt Groups, lower funding to scientific research and gut CDC and other pandemic research for staff positions, and we as a public need to demand funding for great plans that enable the Fed govt and all levels of govt to be nimble and have a lot of funding to quickly create tests, get them in the field, and work on cures and vaccines.

Exactly, and we really need serious leadership here that will not dismantle Pandemic Govt Groups, lower funding to scientific research and gut CDC and other pandemic research for staff positions, and we as a public need to demand funding for great plans that enable the Fed govt and all levels of govt to be nimble and have a lot of funding to quickly create tests, get them in the field, and work on cures and vaccines.

Well, this should be a boom to anyone trying to keep the virus death count numbers low.

How it will help public safety is another matter...

What I don't get is clearly New York got flooded with a lot of people flying in, so they must have gotten a pretty big head start on places like Iowa. So how can the projected peaks of Iowa and New York be predicted to be so close to each other? I would think the projected peak for Iowa would be at least a month or two after New York. Anyone have any thoughts on what I'm missing here with that thought process?

Do they put into perspective population density. I mean it would figure that it would take longer in more dense populated areas as there are more hosts to go through. I can see it taking longer there. If people distanced themselves sensibly in lesser populations I could see it getting over quicker, only if they distance themselves. If they don't I could see it lingering around a while finding hosts.

I understand they will phase in letting people get back. Slowly lighten up the shelter in place, first allowing essentials, then maybe the somewhat essential, etc.. You get what I mean. It's not going to be all or nothing. Like restaurants or potential gathering, I think they will have restrictions at first.
Yeah but all the folks with cabin fever will go running around. It wouldn't have to be just restaurants movie theaters and the like. Traveling around in airports, subways, taxis/ubers heck sidewalks. That's how NYC got into the situation they are. The constant moving of people all crowding together. Sure restaurants theaters and stores spread it a ton too. I just look for no matter how soon or how gradual we start opening things back up there'll be a 2nd wave. Unless summertime weather helps. Sounds like that's a big fat maybe. But here's to hoping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts