Are you personally worried about getting the Coronavirus?

Are you personally worried about catching the Coronavirus?

• Yes

Votes: 41 41.0%
  • No

Votes: 59 59.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I didnt say anything about mass testing in Iowa did I? I just posted some data. It would be great to test heavily in Linn and Polk counties and a few other counties to find infected people by back tracing. In Iowa there is a large problem of infections around care centers, retirement homes, whatever you want to call them. Well who the hell visited these people over a 2 week span before the residents of those homes and care workers got sick.

If 30 people or 80 in the homes got sick then how many people visited them? Maybe 400, maybe 200? The normal thing to do is backtrack contact tracing and test those visitors. That is basic public health actions.

Now is New York State, City and Long Island etc mass testing is necessary. Find out who are the asymptomatic people who have had the virus and try to contact trace backwards to test. Corral the virus to help drop the peak and the growth.

We do not have good testing. NY state has had 340,000+ tests, 138,000+ positive out of population of about 20 million. That is pathetic testing levels after a month+.

Current data grade:

Tests Hospitalized In ICU On Ventilator
Positive
Negative Pending Currently Cumulative Currently Cumulative Currently Cumulative Recovered Deaths Total test results(Positive + Negative)
138,863 201,195 N/A 17,493 32,083 4,593 N/A N/A N/A 14,590 5,489 340,058
Last updated: 4/07 00:00 ET

That rate is pretty much nationwide as well. I took New York's and compared it with the rate in Iowa prior to posting.

I didnt say anything about mass testing in Iowa did I? I just posted some data. It would be great to test heavily in Linn and Polk counties and a few other counties to find infected people by back tracing. In Iowa there is a large problem of infections around care centers, retirement homes, whatever you want to call them. Well who the hell visited these people over a 2 week span before the residents of those homes and care workers got sick.

If 30 people or 80 in the homes got sick then how many people visited them? Maybe 400, maybe 200? The normal thing to do is backtrack contact tracing and test those visitors. That is basic public health actions.

Now is New York State, City and Long Island etc mass testing is necessary. Find out who are the asymptomatic people who have had the virus and try to contact trace backwards to test. Corral the virus to help drop the peak and the growth.

We do not have good testing. NY state has had 340,000+ tests, 138,000+ positive out of population of about 20 million. That is pathetic testing levels after a month+.

Current data grade:

Tests Hospitalized In ICU On Ventilator
Positive
Negative Pending Currently Cumulative Currently Cumulative Currently Cumulative Recovered Deaths Total test results(Positive + Negative)
138,863 201,195 N/A 17,493 32,083 4,593 N/A N/A N/A 14,590 5,489 340,058
Last updated: 4/07 00:00 ET

In the governor's press conference just now someone had a very good question about the long term care facilities. They asked if those residents are all being test proactively to help identify anyone who is positive. I thought that was a very valid question and good idea since these are the hotspots and the death rate bar is often times in these settings. This goes to your point.

April-8_map.png

In the governor's press conference just now someone had a very good question about the long term care facilities. They asked if those residents are all being test proactively to help identify anyone who is positive. I thought that was a very valid question and good idea since these are the hotspots and the death rate bar is often times in these settings. This goes to your point.

It was a good question a month ago.

Now it's just sad it's needing to be asked.

Why? Explain. What is it going to do now?

Good grief. Look up “variables” in the dictionary. Race, sex, population density, age, length of illness, survival rates, antibodies produced, drugs tested, social distancing, medical interventions used, and probably dozens and dozens more. Measurement of variables in any statistical study is basic research. Some will seem routine and obvious, but others may be surprising.

Good grief. Look up “variables” in the dictionary. Race, sex, population density, age, length of illness, survival rates, antibodies produced, drugs tested, social distancing, medical interventions used, and probably dozens and dozens more. Measurement of variables in any statistical study is basic research. Some will seem routine and obvious, but others may be surprising.

Good points, especially about the antibodies created by individuals as that could have an impact next season or after. I was thinking more of trying to control the outbreak now but you make valid points about data beyond just immediate control.

Good points, especially about the antibodies created by individuals as that could have an impact next season or after. I was thinking more of trying to control the outbreak now but you make valid points about data beyond just immediate control.

Ironically, I just turned on the news after I posted. They were interviewing an expert who talked about the benefits of testing long run. But, I just heard the tail end of the report. I did get enough to be happy that he did not sound like an alarmist. And there has been a bit of hopeful news on the benefits of social distancing and newer projections that are somewhat better. We will hang in there!

FOX News: "A man in California was arrested Monday, accused of assaulting his mother after a family dispute over toilet paper dramatically escalated, according to officials.

The Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff's station of the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department said on Twitter that deputies responded to a call where family members were arguing because one relative felt the other one hid toilet paper.

"It turned into a physical confrontation," police tweeted. "One got arrested."

CORONAVIRUS IN THE US: STATE-BY-STATE BREAKDOWN

In the weeks since the COVID-19 pandemic has spread, officials have discouraged hoarding supplies such as paper towels and toilet paper, which have been flying off the shelves in some stores.

Toilet paper still remains a popular commodity. According to market research firm Nielsen, toilet paper sales nationally jumped about 213 percent in the week ending March 13, compared to the same period a year before.

Deputies were called to the home around 3 a.m. when 26-year-old Adrian Yan accused his mother of hiding the family's toilet paper and an argument erupted, Shirley Miller of the Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff's Station told the City News Service.

Yan then allegedly punched his mother, according to Miller. The 26-year-old was arrested for suspicion of battery."

I read the virus affects people with a certain blood type more then the other types. I think it was type O that gets it worse then A or B. Maybe this gives us more of an understanding why some people get mild symptoms and some get really sick if just comparing people with no underlying issues

Ironically, I just turned on the news after I posted. They were interviewing an expert who talked about the benefits of testing long run. But, I just heard the tail end of the report. I did get enough to be happy that he did not sound like an alarmist. And there has been a bit of hopeful news on the benefits of social distancing and newer projections that are somewhat better. We will hang in there!

For some reason it just feels like we are turning the corner. I don't know why. Maybe it's the warmer weather and people being outside more. Maybe that will actually help. Don't know. It just feels a little bit better now. I realize we still are battling and it's some time off yet, but seems different.

I read the virus affects people with a certain blood type more then the other types. I think it was type O that gets it worse then A or B. Maybe this gives us more of an understanding why some people get mild symptoms and some get really sick if just comparing people with no underlying issues

That would be a very interesting phenomenon. Hell, I don't even know what type I am.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts