Are you personally worried about getting the Coronavirus?

Are you personally worried about catching the Coronavirus?

• Yes

Votes: 41 41.0%
  • No

Votes: 59 59.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Germany, as of late last week, was testing one in 90 citizens, compared with one in every 273 people in the United States.

These numbers enable German officials to find infections early, even among asymptomatic patients, isolate them, and contain the disease from spreading.

Moreover, widespread testing is vital to figuring out the real death rate from COVID-19, and for finding a response to blunt the virus if it returns in a second wave.

So here are the two key important reasons Germany has been able to conduct widespread testing — while the United States has faltered until now.

And then there is the case of South Korea, which has become the global gold standard on testing and keeping COVID-19 in check. But what I want to write about here is Seoul’s success at solving its face mask shortage.

After an initial mask crisis, the central government decided to intervene in production and distribution, writes E. Tammy Kim in the New York Times. By early March, the government was purchasing 80% of the national production of KF-94 masks, the equivalent of the American N95, from the nation’s 130 or so manufacturers (for comparison, think how the U.S. mask crisis might have been avoided if Trump had made robust use of the Defense Production Act).

https://www.inquirer.com/health/cor...ea-germany-fatality-rates-trump-20200407.html

Other numbers boiled down: 31000 new cases yesterday in US, check my math because I spitballed it on a pc calculator program
JFC, the cops are about 12 inches away from each other.

View attachment 6610

12 inches , JFC, how about 3-4 feet. two grown men standing shoulder to shoulder their mouths and breathing are about 24 inches apart. What a troll

Sweden has 3 percent of the US population. They have have fewer cases per population but growing rapidly. Their death rate per diagnosed is 5.4 percent.

Sweden has done little to prevent spread.

The issue with ventilators may not be the ventilator
https://www.yahoo.com/news/rethinking-coronavirus-some-doctors-question-how-we-use-ventilators-123733204.html

This doctor says it is because of a huge, dangerous patient's own body's inflammation response and he is trying an alternate treatment, below, to slow down inflammation. So is it actually the ventilator????

Marik is promoting a treatment of his own devising, a combination of corticosteroids and high-dose ascorbic acid, or vitamin C, as a first-line therapy for patients hospitalized with COVID-19. Marik is a respected clinician, chief of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine at Eastern Virginia Medical School. The protocol is controversial and untested, but the theory behind it illuminates a growing shift in thinking about the disease that may have important implications for how it is treated.Marik’s theory is based on an idea that is becoming widespread among researchers: that the cause of death for a significant number of COVID-19 patients, especially younger ones, is severe inflammation of the lungs resulting from an overly vigorous immune-system response. By administering anti-inflammatory drugs early and regularly after a patient is admitted to the emergency room, Marik believes he can prevent this complication, known as a “cytokine storm.”

In those cases, “it’s not the virus that’s killing the host, it’s the host’s response to the virus,” said Marik. Coronavirus is highly contagious and can cause fatal disease in some patients, but immune reactions to the infection varies dramatically from person to person.

“People who are doing fine don’t need steroids, it’s the people who get sick from the storm,” Marik said. “Corticosteroids are really effective in downregulating that storm.”

Marik has been touting the anti-inflammatory properties of vitamin C and steroids since 2017, when he first released the results of a somewhat controversial study claiming that intravenous vitamin C, hydrocortisone and thiamine are an effective treatment for sepsis. The treatment failed in a larger study whose results were published in January, but he believes it may still hold promise for COVID-19.

When you're part of the ruling class...you make your own rules.
45EpsEH.gif

Other numbers boiled down: 31000 new cases yesterday in US, check my math because I spitballed it on a pc calculator program

12 inches , JFC, how about 3-4 feet. two grown men standing shoulder to shoulder their mouths and breathing are about 24 inches apart. What a troll
You need to get your vision checked.

Sounds like New York has had a lot of people dying at home that hasn't been added to the count yet. I guess the confirmed count is way less than the actual number of deaths.

Sounds like New York has had a lot of people dying at home that hasn't been added to the count yet. I guess the confirmed count is way less than the actual number of deaths.
As we've learned, the "confirmed" count really isn't all that confirmed.

Whether we like it or not I think he's got a great point. As a country how to we progress from social distancing and limiting gatherings to less than 10, to selling out stadiums over the course of a few months. I don't know that there's an answer, but it just seems doubtful to me.

Whether we like it or not I think he's got a great point. As a country how to we progress from social distancing and limiting gatherings to less than 10, to selling out stadiums over the course of a few months. I don't know that there's an answer, but it just seems doubtful to me.

And it's a state-by-state decision no matter what the professional or college leagues decide.

If the more densely populated cities in NY/North NJ, California, etc, say, hey, we're not allowing it. It won't be allowed.

As we've learned, the "confirmed" count really isn't all that confirmed.

Yes, because we lack testing... And the count could very much be higher, not lower.

And yes, I think everyone agrees, people in poor health can die from a combination of problems. Virus plus something else.

But the idea that we are counting sky diving fatalities in the corona virus count is just misinformation.

Yes, because we lack testing... And the count could very much be higher, not lower.

And yes, I think everyone agrees, people in poor health can die from a combination of problems. Virus plus something else.

But the idea that we are counting sky diving fatalities in the corona virus count is just misinformation.
OMG, you are so dense.

The issue with ventilators may not be the ventilator
https://www.yahoo.com/news/rethinking-coronavirus-some-doctors-question-how-we-use-ventilators-123733204.html

This doctor says it is because of a huge, dangerous patient's own body's inflammation response and he is trying an alternate treatment, below, to slow down inflammation. So is it actually the ventilator????

Marik is promoting a treatment of his own devising, a combination of corticosteroids and high-dose ascorbic acid, or vitamin C, as a first-line therapy for patients hospitalized with COVID-19. Marik is a respected clinician, chief of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine at Eastern Virginia Medical School. The protocol is controversial and untested, but the theory behind it illuminates a growing shift in thinking about the disease that may have important implications for how it is treated.Marik’s theory is based on an idea that is becoming widespread among researchers: that the cause of death for a significant number of COVID-19 patients, especially younger ones, is severe inflammation of the lungs resulting from an overly vigorous immune-system response. By administering anti-inflammatory drugs early and regularly after a patient is admitted to the emergency room, Marik believes he can prevent this complication, known as a “cytokine storm.”

In those cases, “it’s not the virus that’s killing the host, it’s the host’s response to the virus,” said Marik. Coronavirus is highly contagious and can cause fatal disease in some patients, but immune reactions to the infection varies dramatically from person to person.

“People who are doing fine don’t need steroids, it’s the people who get sick from the storm,” Marik said. “Corticosteroids are really effective in downregulating that storm.”

Marik has been touting the anti-inflammatory properties of vitamin C and steroids since 2017, when he first released the results of a somewhat controversial study claiming that intravenous vitamin C, hydrocortisone and thiamine are an effective treatment for sepsis. The treatment failed in a larger study whose results were published in January, but he believes it may still hold promise for COVID-19.

That would also explain the potential impact of antibiotics like azithromycin in the treatment. These drugs have known anti-inflammatory properties as well:
https://erj.ersjournals.com/content/33/1/171

Maybe the treatment course of chloroquine/azithromycin/Vit C was not effective because of the chloroquine, but perhaps the azithromycin (presumably thrown in initially to prevent secondary bacterial pneumonia)?

If they tested positive for Covid-19 before entering the plane then no. If they tested during midflight or failed to use a parachute then it definitely counts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts