Are you personally worried about getting the Coronavirus?

Are you personally worried about catching the Coronavirus?

• Yes

Votes: 41 41.0%
  • No

Votes: 59 59.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh we definitely are, there is no doubt about that.

NYC Council health committee Chair Mark Levine is claiming that COVID deaths are being undercounted due to the extremely high number of deaths in homes that cannot be tested due to lack of testing resources (per his twitter account):

An estimated additional 180 - 195 deaths per day occurring at home in New York City due to COVID-19 are not being counted in the official figures. "Early on in this crisis we were able to swab people who died at home, and thus got a coronavirus reading. But those days are long gone. We simply don't have the testing capacity for the large numbers dying at home. Now only those few who had a test confirmation *before* dying are marked as victims of coronavirus on their death certificate. This almost certainly means we are undercounting the total number of victims of this pandemic," said Mark Levine, Chair of New York City Council health committee [source]​

NYC Council health committee Chair Mark Levine is claiming that COVID deaths are being undercounted due to the extremely high number of deaths in homes that cannot be tested due to lack of testing resources (per his twitter account):

An estimated additional 180 - 195 deaths per day occurring at home in New York City due to COVID-19 are not being counted in the official figures. "Early on in this crisis we were able to swab people who died at home, and thus got a coronavirus reading. But those days are long gone. We simply don't have the testing capacity for the large numbers dying at home. Now only those few who had a test confirmation *before* dying are marked as victims of coronavirus on their death certificate. This almost certainly means we are undercounting the total number of victims of this pandemic," said Mark Levine, Chair of New York City Council health committee [source]​
How could he possibly know if these are COVID-19 or seasonal influenza? There is entirely way too much assuming going on during this situation.

April-7_-map.png

The media needs to report it. All you yahoos were calling me a conspiracy theorist for this shit, then I posted proof with the official CDC guidance.

So, my general understanding is that because of the lack of widespread testing, there is now guess work in establishing the cause of death as related to the virus. Right?

That doesn't strike me as a conspiracy. But common sense as it relates to the consequences for still not having widespread testing.

But you don't want any of those people counted? I mean, I could see how that would be politically advantageous for the government. I just don't see another angle.

Oh, I thought we were talking about under reporting of cases.

Anyway, my thoughts on the death count. Where are we, about 3% death rate on average? We have to remember, many of these individuals were very bad off prior to COVID and many may have been terminal. So, It's not completely saying these individuals died from just COVID so that 3% number should go down just a bit, maybe 1.8-2%.

Also, without COVID, NY and everywhere else have deaths everyday and many of those should be incorporated in the %, I think. It would be interesting to know on average how many deaths NY had in a day prior to the pandemic. I think that average should be put into perspective as well.

So, my general understanding is that because of the lack of widespread testing, there is now guess work in establishing the cause of death as related to the virus. Right?

That doesn't strike me as a conspiracy. But common sense as it relates to the consequences for still not having widespread testing.

But you don't want any of those people counted? I mean, I could see how that would be politically advantageous for the government. I just don't see another angle.
The problem is the official guidance leads doctors into that diagnosis with the statement "selection of the underlying cause of death are expected to result in COVID19 being the underlying cause more often than not."

Take for example, an older lady (in her 70s) in a club I am involved with went to the doctor with symptoms typical with the flu. She didn't have any of the symptoms of COVID-19 (loss of breath, smell, etc.), but the doctor, without testing her, told her that he is sure she has COVID-19 and sent her home. There are also videos of people interviewing doctors telling a similar story.

The problem is the official guidance leads doctors into that diagnosis with the statement "selection of the underlying cause of death are expected to result in COVID19 being the underlying cause more often than not."

Take for example, an older lady (in her 70s) in a club I am involved with went to the doctor with symptoms typical with the flu. She didn't have any of the symptoms of COVID-19 (loss of breath, smell, etc.), but the doctor, without testing her, told her that he is sure she has COVID-19 and sent her home. There are also videos of people interviewing doctors telling a similar story.

Not sure how this example clarifying things. Doctor has their opinion, 70 year old lady has another. You want the 70 year old lady to decide what her cause of death should be?

You think doctors have a natural biased in making stuff up without any motive?

Not sure how this example clarifying things. Doctor has their opinion, 70 year old lady has another. You want the 70 year old lady to decide what her cause of death should be?

You think doctors have a natural biased in making stuff up without any motive?
It's like you didn't even read my post. lol

It's like you didn't even read my post. lol

We both know I did.

So unless you want to start saying doctors are conspiring to inflate the numbers of deaths from the virus, we don't really have anything here.

The CDC guidance seems appropriate given we are going to see deaths from the virus without being able to confirm via a test.

But you'll be happy af to take a vaccine that hasn't been proven as a cure or safe.

Duh, first of all vaccines are not given as cures but rather to prevent you from getting ill or to make the illness much slighter.

I never said I am going to take an unproven vaccine. And they will not release a vaccine until it is proven or it is statistically better to use the vaccine.

For instance, what if a viral outbreak was killing at a 30% rate and spreading fast and they rushed a vaccine to use that killed at a 1% rate but stopped the spread dead in its tracks so that nobody getting the vaccine that lived would get the virus. Well then sometimes you got to try to save 2 billion people by having 20 million die. Just stats man.

If you are really sick and about to go on a ventilator then try what ever drugs you got man.

How could he possibly know if these are COVID-19 or seasonal influenza? There is entirely way too much assuming going on during this situation.

Just the difference in numbers, he is claiming an order of magnitude increase in deaths in homes compared to normal.

I am just passing along what he is saying, take it for what it is worth.

Duh, first of all vaccines are not given as cures but rather to prevent you from getting ill or to make the illness much slighter.

I never said I am going to take an unproven vaccine. And they will not release a vaccine until it is proven or it is statistically better to use the vaccine.

For instance, what if a viral outbreak was killing at a 30% rate and spreading fast and they rushed a vaccine to use that killed at a 1% rate but stopped the spread dead in its tracks so that nobody getting the vaccine that lived would get the virus. Well then sometimes you got to try to save 2 billion people by having 20 million die. Just stats man.

If you are really sick and about to go on a ventilator then try what ever drugs you got man.
What do you think about the doctors reporting that the ventilators are actually making their conditions worse?

We both know I did.

So unless you want to start saying doctors are conspiring to inflate the numbers of deaths from the virus, we don't really have anything here.

The CDC guidance seems appropriate given we are going to see deaths from the virus without being able to confirm via a test.
Telling doctors that they expect a COVID-19 diagnosis in most cases based on nothing is appropriate? I agree that you read my post, you just didn't comprehend it. If we can't have an intelligent conversation, maybe we should just stop. Have a nice day.

Just the difference in numbers, he is claiming an order of magnitude increase in deaths in homes compared to normal.

I am just passing along what he is saying, take it for what it is worth.
It's almost like stay at home orders might have something to do with that. o_O

Oh, I thought we were talking about under reporting of cases.

Anyway, my thoughts on the death count. Where are we, about 3% death rate on average? We have to remember, many of these individuals were very bad off prior to COVID and many may have been terminal. So, It's not completely saying these individuals died from just COVID so that 3% number should go down just a bit, maybe 1.8-2%.

Also, without COVID, NY and everywhere else have deaths everyday and many of those should be incorporated in the %, I think. It would be interesting to know on average how many deaths NY had in a day prior to the pandemic. I think that average should be put into perspective as well.

According to this info (from several years ago), someone in NYC dies every 9.1 minutes, meaning they would average about 13,100 deaths per day (I am sure there are seasonal variations in that rate).

A week ago NYC had 932 total deaths from COVID.

As of this morning, they had 3,202 deaths from COVID.

Averaged over a week, that is roughly an additional 325 deaths per day. Yesterday there were 727 deaths.

So COVID could be causing roughly a 1-2% increase in daily deaths in NYC. It seems fairly insignificant if you look at it that way. It seems pretty significant when you realize it has basically caused the equivalent of 9/11 in terms of deaths in the last couple weeks. And it is certainly significant to the thousands of families it is affecting.

As always, a single death is a tragedy, and a millions deaths is a statistic.

Why are people dying in their homes? I saw a video that showed every hospital has zero patients in them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts