2019 Recruiting: Big Board

a couple of dunks. that didn't show handles or shooting. again, i'm not saying DJ isn't a good player. i am saying is isn't a different type of player than Conner. i couldn't care less if my PG can dunk or not. It's a nice extra, but not needed.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...FE419259136D8B1EB071FE419259136D&&FORM=VRDGAR

I'm still intrigued by Connor. Think he could be a good player. But I'd wager DJ has more upside.

But there would be room for both of them.

I believe if Cook leaves (gut tells me he is gone no matter the feedback he gets), a rotation of....

1- Bohannon/McCaffery
2- Moss/Fredrick (transfer G?)
3- Dailey/Wieskamp (can be flipped as well)
4- Nunge/Baer
5- Garza/Kreiner

is already an upgrade in defense. As was pointed out in a different thread (several threads), Fran was playing probably every player he had out of position at least at one point or another. Hopefully he figures out that Nunge and Baer have to play the 4 and he has to play 3 guards in today's College Basketball scene. Hopefully isn't as encouraging but the transfers that we've seen so far does give me some optimism that he understands this. I understand all posters out here see a bunch of white guys and see no athleticism, but Wieskamp was involved in every camp and team and game on a national level as a recruit except the McDonald's All-American game. McCaffery impressed at many national camps when he was a prep as a 4* PG. Fredrick looks to be a steal if you really watch highlights and see the teams he was playing this year (also ranked higher than a good amount of recruits coming next year to other B10 teams). We know Dailey can be a good defender, Moss has shown flashes and we hope he can put it together or maybe wieskamp takes his spot eventually. Nunge guarding a 4 man rather than a 3 man will help not only the team but will help him and his development as a 6'11 player (biggest complaint was Fran playing him as a 3 and not the 4). Call me optimistic or drinking the kool-aid but I think this team will be better than most debbie-downers on this website think.
Iowa was 4-14 with Cook this past season and was Iowa's best player. Iowa will be better without him based on the group of players listed? Also, not sure how that team is an upgrade on the defensive end.

Iowa was 4-14 with Cook this past season and was Iowa's best player. Iowa will be better without him based on the group of players listed? Also, not sure how that team is an upgrade on the defensive end.

His we'll be better without Cook theory is baffling.

not better without Tyler , but really how much worse can it get without him , 4 wins last year and those wins were not all because of Tyler , has been stated that Garza got his numbers because of Tyler , there were quite a few times with Tyler on the bench that Luka did very well on his own , personally I want Tyler back and if he is , he will be armed with what he needs to improve on from any NBA contacts he has , and I think he may be a complete beast next year with the NBA in his hopeful future, this past year he was neither as poor as some have said nor our savior as others have said , the entire team had a hand in the 14 losses ......... they had better be coached on how to play defense and how to hold on to the dang ball

Carton is a lot more athletic than Connor and if you haven't noticed that's exactly what we're missing.

as i mentioned previously, the video i have seen of DJ he didn't look appreciably more athletic than Conner and, in fact, his ball handling didn't show as better than Conner's and he didn't show he was a better shooter. I haven't seen video of DJ being laterally quick; just like Conner isn't. my position is that what we need is lateral quickness and ball handling. I just don't believe DJ gets us that and we wind up with a similar player to one we already have.

His we'll be better without Cook theory is baffling.

If you can point to where I said as a for sure thing that the Hawkeyes would be better without Cook I would love to see it. I said I'm not sure if we will be better with Cook or worse without Cook. I think the matchups are better w/o Cook, but that doesn't always equate to a better season or a better team. I think defense is better w/o Cook and Nunge/Baer at the 4. I think the team remaining and going into the season can make up for Cook's offense. Now does all this equal 4 B10 wins or more or less? I don't know but statistically I see a logical way it could be better (if players take steps in the offseason and improve their games) or worse (if everyone returns the same players as last year and the Freshman are not as good as advertised).

as i mentioned previously, the video i have seen of DJ he didn't look appreciably more athletic than Conner and, in fact, his ball handling didn't show as better than Conner's and he didn't show he was a better shooter. I haven't seen video of DJ being laterally quick; just like Conner isn't. my position is that what we need is lateral quickness and ball handling. I just don't believe DJ gets us that and we wind up with a similar player to one we already have.

He's a lot more athletic than Connor which is why he will end up being a 5* recruit when Connor was only a 3* recruit. DJ is not like any player we have on our current roster.

Arvada, you are crazy on this one. DJ is athletic enough that he will be pushing a 5* ranking. No chance in hell Conner could pull off this dunk at this end of this even though he is at least 4" taller than DJ and 3 years older.

Arvada, you are crazy on this one. DJ is athletic enough that he will be pushing a 5* ranking. No chance in hell Conner could pull off this dunk at this end of this even though he is at least 4" taller than DJ and 3 years older.

He has higher upside than Connor, is more athletic, can jump higher, has more quicks.

But in terms of who would be a better passer, shooter, handle, or leader in general, that would still be yet to be determined.

a couple of dunks. that didn't show handles or shooting. again, i'm not saying DJ isn't a good player. i am saying is isn't a different type of player than Conner. i couldn't care less if my PG can dunk or not. It's a nice extra, but not needed.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...FE419259136D8B1EB071FE419259136D&&FORM=VRDGAR

giphy.gif

DJ is a straight line ball handler. Same as Conner. DJ has slightly above avg handles. Same as Conner. DJ can get to the rim, get fouled and convert. Same as Conner. DJ can dunk. I couldn't tell you if Conner can or can't. But if the differentiating factor for a pg is if he can dunk or not, we're in trouble.

And AGAIN...I didn't say DJ wasn't a good player. I said he is the same type of player as Conner and he isn't demonstrably better. DJ doesn't add anything above what Conner can do. So, is he worth a scholly? If you think he is, great. I'd rather have a cat-quick guard with above avg handles than can defend the perimeter.

DJ is a straight line ball handler. Same as Conner. DJ has slightly above avg handles. Same as Conner. DJ can get to the rim, get fouled and convert. Same as Conner. DJ can dunk. I couldn't tell you if Conner can or can't. But if the differentiating factor for a pg is if he can dunk or not, we're in trouble.

And AGAIN...I didn't say DJ wasn't a good player. I said he is the same type of player as Conner and he isn't demonstrably better. DJ doesn't add anything above what Conner can do. So, is he worth a scholly? If you think he is, great. I'd rather have a cat-quick guard with above avg handles than can defend the perimeter.

First off it's Connor, not Conner. Second off Connor and DJ's games are not even remotely close to the same. DJ is the "cat-quick guard with above avg handles" you want.

First off it's Connor, not Conner. Second off Connor and DJ's games are not even remotely close to the same. DJ is the "cat-quick guard with above avg handles" you want.

thanks for setting me straight, 56. but actually, i'd rather have locure. did i spell that correctly?

You are completely missing this one Arvada. Divincenzo isn't a "cat-quick" guard. He is a longer athlete that can get to the rim. I'm not saying DJ is Divincenzo, he isn't, but that is the kind of athleticism that DJ has. Of course Divincenzo is 6'5 vs DJ at 6'1, so he is going to play further above the rim than DJ will.

Yet to even say/think that Connor brings this same type of athleticism to the table is just folly. Connor can be a fine PG, but he isn't close to the athlete that DJ is.

You are completely missing this one Arvada. Divincenzo isn't a "cat-quick" guard. He is a longer athlete that can get to the rim. I'm not saying DJ is Divincenzo, he isn't, but that is the kind of athleticism that DJ has. Of course Divincenzo is 6'5 vs DJ at 6'1, so he is going to play further above the rim than DJ will.

Yet to even say/think that Connor brings this same type of athleticism to the table is just folly. Connor can be a fine PG, but he isn't close to the athlete that DJ is.
Divincenzo is very quick. None of Michigan's guards could keep him out of the lane. Don't be fooled into thinking it's his length. It's not.
You're correct about Connor.

Dunking in itself doesn’t necessarily make one a better player. However when a 6’1 Hs junior PG starts throwing down dunks it’s tells you a lot about his explosiveness. Do you recall the Anthony Clemmons story? When he was playing AAU he wasn’t getting recruited by anyone, until one game he rose up and dunked over a big man. The coach said after the game he had tons of messages from college coaches asking about Clemmons. Those are people that get paid to do this.

As far as the comparison as players goes. The only similarities I see is that they are both lefties from Iowa. DJ is a slasher scorer and Connor liked to play in the pick and roll and facilitate.

Lastly the water bug PG argument makes me want to puke, it’s so tired. Glyn Watson was probably the quickest PG in the B1G last year, but nowhere near the best. Rememberr Trey Dickerson? What we want is a very good player at the PG position who is athletic and can make plays for himself and others. DJ Carton fits the bill, every P5 school in the Midwest and soon likely many more across the country agree. I think you are off on this one.

Latest posts