2019 Recruiting: Big Board

Dunking in itself doesn’t necessarily make one a better player. However when a 6’1 Hs junior PG starts throwing down dunks it’s tells you a lot about his explosiveness. Do you recall the Anthony Clemmons story? When he was playing AAU he wasn’t getting recruited by anyone, until one game he rose up and dunked over a big man. The coach said after the game he had tons of messages from college coaches asking about Clemmons. Those are people that get paid to do this.

As far as the comparison as players goes. The only similarities I see is that they are both lefties from Iowa. DJ is a slasher scorer and Connor liked to play in the pick and roll and facilitate.

Lastly the water bug PG argument makes me want to puke, it’s so tired. Glyn Watson was probably the quickest PG in the B1G last year, but nowhere near the best. Rememberr Trey Dickerson? What we want is a very good player at the PG position who is athletic and can make plays for himself and others. DJ Carton fits the bill, every P5 school in the Midwest and soon likely many more across the country agree. I think you are off on this one.

I was going to bring up the Clemmons story too, but for a slightly different reason. It's funny that Clemmons had one dunk where the stars aligned perfectly, and that's all it took for people to think more of him. Soooo overrated. He was still the exact same player after that dunk and he went through 4 years of college without really showing the athleticism that he displayed on that one dunk.

I was going to bring up the Clemmons story too, but for a slightly different reason. It's funny that Clemmons had one dunk where the stars aligned perfectly, and that's all it took for people to think more of him. Soooo overrated. He was still the exact same player after that dunk and he went through 4 years of college without really showing the athleticism that he displayed on that one dunk.

Again it’s not that it means Clemmons or DJ Carton for that matter are going to get to college and dunk all over everyone, but it shows they have explosiveness. It worked out pretty well for Clemmons, and DJ looks to be an even better player.

Jordan Mitchell is actually more of a realistic option than I had ever thought of before. Ohio State is all out in recruiting him and Fran has once again built an early relationship that the prospect has taken note of.

Jordan Mitchell is actually more of a realistic option than I had ever thought of before. Ohio State is all out in recruiting him and Fran has once again built an early relationship that the prospect has taken note of.

isn't all out recruiting him*

What about Florida? What’s the story on the kid I haven’t heard much?

https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/s...rehl-brock-tyler-goodson-dj-carton/527058002/

I've always known about the relationship with Mitchell from all kinds of sources dating back to when he was first offered, but had always been lead to believe he was a Buckeye from day 1. Matthew Bain put this article out there in his weekly mailbag that he wouldn't be surprised if Iowa got a committment from him before all is said and done. I don't know about Florida and what their interest in Mitchell is.

https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/s...rehl-brock-tyler-goodson-dj-carton/527058002/

I've always known about the relationship with Mitchell from all kinds of sources dating back to when he was first offered, but had always been lead to believe he was a Buckeye from day 1. Matthew Bain put this article out there in his weekly mailbag that he wouldn't be surprised if Iowa got a committment from him before all is said and done. I don't know about Florida and what their interest in Mitchell is.
Nice find.

The 2019 class was setting up to be potentially the best class of Fran’s tenure and probably one of the best in Iowa BB history. I have to think last years performance didn’t do us any favors though.

I’m not holding out a ton of hope for Carton or Jackson-Davis but even Mitchell and Locure with Pmac would be a really sound class I think.

Nice find.

The 2019 class was setting up to be potentially the best class of Fran’s tenure and probably one of the best in Iowa BB history. I have to think last years performance didn’t do us any favors though.

I’m not holding out a ton of hope for Carton or Jackson-Davis but even Mitchell and Locure with Pmac would be a really sound class I think.

I would agree as well. I think Fran is in on Carton to give himself a chance but have heard the Michigan offer was a big one. (of course, eye roll) but I do think family ties is what gives Iowa the best chance. His Grandpa played at Iowa and he's watched games with DJ all of his life is what I've heard. I don't know we'll have to see. Jackson-Davis I've heard is interested in Iowa more than we think but I'm not sure that interest will ever outweigh Indiana.

I think the '19 class could be good and I think it has to be dominated by wing players so I'm not too heartbroken to see Jackson-Davis not be a Hawkeye if that's how it pans out. Other than McCaffery (I think is a projected 4 man) I think the other 1, 2, or 3 scholly's that will be available need to be on the wing. 2 pg's, or a 3 man. Realistically if it was a class of 3 I would love a PMac, Mitchell, and Locure/Terry/Carton class. If there's 4 like I think there will be a PMac, Mitchell and then 2 of the 3 PG's would be ideal, but think maybe Zeke Nnaji from Minnesota, 3/4 man would be a good option if you can't get 2 of the 3 PG's.

A PG I've watched a lot of highlights on that I wish Iowa would offer but haven't is Kejuan Clements from Simeon HS, where Moss played at. But that's just a hopeful/wishful thought at this point.

I would agree as well. I think Fran is in on Carton to give himself a chance but have heard the Michigan offer was a big one. (of course, eye roll) but I do think family ties is what gives Iowa the best chance. His Grandpa played at Iowa and he's watched games with DJ all of his life is what I've heard. I don't know we'll have to see. Jackson-Davis I've heard is interested in Iowa more than we think but I'm not sure that interest will ever outweigh Indiana.

I think the '19 class could be good and I think it has to be dominated by wing players so I'm not too heartbroken to see Jackson-Davis not be a Hawkeye if that's how it pans out. Other than McCaffery (I think is a projected 4 man) I think the other 1, 2, or 3 scholly's that will be available need to be on the wing. 2 pg's, or a 3 man. Realistically if it was a class of 3 I would love a PMac, Mitchell, and Locure/Terry/Carton class. If there's 4 like I think there will be a PMac, Mitchell and then 2 of the 3 PG's would be ideal, but think maybe Zeke Nnaji from Minnesota, 3/4 man would be a good option if you can't get 2 of the 3 PG's.

A PG I've watched a lot of highlights on that I wish Iowa would offer but haven't is Kejuan Clements from Simeon HS, where Moss played at. But that's just a hopeful/wishful thought at this point.
The interesting thing is we have been playing from ahead because we had our 2018 class in order, and we already have a commit in Pat. Hopefully that gives us a leg up.

I see our open scholarships coming from the one we currently have, Baer, and then Cook whether it is this year or next. Fran does have great flexibility in that we could sign a 4th and Patrick could walk on until a scholarship comes available. I would prefer not to sign four but say for instance it was something like Pmac, Mitchell, Terry, and then we also wanted to take Locure I think that would be a smart thing to do. Basically we don’t need to reach for a fourth but if it’s the right player we have the flexibility to do it.

The interesting thing is we have been playing from ahead because we had our 2018 class in order, and we already have a commit in Pat. Hopefully that gives us a leg up.

I see our open scholarships coming from the one we currently have, Baer, and then Cook whether it is this year or next. Fran does have great flexibility in that we could sign a 4th and Patrick could walk on until a scholarship comes available. I would prefer not to sign four but say for instance it was something like Pmac, Mitchell, Terry, and then we also wanted to take Locure I think that would be a smart thing to do. Basically we don’t need to reach for a fourth but if it’s the right player we have the flexibility to do it.

I'm counting Pemsl in that count as well. I think Pemsl leaves this year or next because he still has a redshirt. That would give you the 4th and you wouldn't have to take PMac or CM off scholarship. Kreiner, Nunge, Baer are all better basketball players than Pemsl and I think he'll find that out this year if he chooses to stay. That would make 4 cause I do agree with Cook, and the other 2 obviously would be there. PMac, Mitchell, Carton/Terry, and Locure would be the most ideal class I can see right now.

Michael Moreno has a good opportunity to boost his stock this summer on the circuits but he's another tweener, and same with Zeke Nnaji who has decent offers already but he's a bit of a tweener as well. Some sites see him as a SF and others a PF. But think if Mitchell or someone were to fall through, Iowa is in a good position for both of these guys as well.

I'm counting Pemsl in that count as well. I think Pemsl leaves this year or next because he still has a redshirt. That would give you the 4th and you wouldn't have to take PMac or CM off scholarship. Kreiner, Nunge, Baer are all better basketball players than Pemsl and I think he'll find that out this year if he chooses to stay. That would make 4 cause I do agree with Cook, and the other 2 obviously would be there. PMac, Mitchell, Carton/Terry, and Locure would be the most ideal class I can see right now.

Michael Moreno has a good opportunity to boost his stock this summer on the circuits but he's another tweener, and same with Zeke Nnaji who has decent offers already but he's a bit of a tweener as well. Some sites see him as a SF and others a PF. But think if Mitchell or someone were to fall through, Iowa is in a good position for both of these guys as well.
I’m not super high on Moreno or Nnaji.

The other elephant in the room is will we be able to land any of those guards if they watch a RS Freshman coaches son get a bunch of minutes this year?

I’m not super high on Moreno or Nnaji.

The other elephant in the room is will we be able to land any of those guards if they watch a RS Freshman coaches son get a bunch of minutes this year?

I don't think CM has any affect on the '19 PG's. Wouldn't be surprised if he full time switches to baseball next year either. If I was a betting man I would say yes Fran gets at least 1 of those 3 PG's. Unless Locure blows up after the other PG's go off the board.

I don't think CM has any affect on the '19 PG's. Wouldn't be surprised if he full time switches to baseball next year either. If I was a betting man I would say yes Fran gets at least 1 of those 3 PG's. Unless Locure blows up after the other PG's go off the board.
It all remains to be seen. But just because some may think he might stick with baseball probably won’t effect recruits. They are sitting there’s thibking, am I going to get the minutes I deserve over the coaches kid? You can be the opposing coaches are playing that narrative as well.

It all remains to be seen. But just because some may think he might stick with baseball probably won’t effect recruits. They are sitting there’s thibking, am I going to get the minutes I deserve over the coaches kid? You can be the opposing coaches are playing that narrative as well.

I also think a recruit is smart enough to know Jordan will be a senior which leaves Iowa with 1 PG after that and they've seen Bohannon start over CM so it's not like he won't play them if they're better.

I also think a recruit is smart enough to know Jordan will be a senior which leaves Iowa with 1 PG after that and they've seen Bohannon start over CM so it's not like he won't play them if they're better.
I think it’s a very different situation given that Jordan was already here and basically had two quality seasons before Cmac got his chance. A potential recruit would be behind Cmac instead of in front of him as JBo was.

I know if I were a recruit who didn’t have black and gold tinted glasses on it would definitely be something I thought long and hard about before deciding to play at iowa.

Again, only time will tell.

I think it’s a very different situation given that Jordan was already here and basically had two quality seasons before Cmac got his chance. A potential recruit would be behind Cmac instead of in front of him as JBo was.

I know if I were a recruit who didn’t have black and gold tinted glasses on it would definitely be something I thought long and hard about before deciding to play at iowa.

Again, only time will tell.

I'm also betting that Fran and Co. also have thought about this and have cleared minds of this, but I'm not one of the coaches so I don't know for sure. To each their own opinion, but mine is that CM will change permanently to baseball which also would provide another scholly to fill if need be and he gets 2 PG's, or if CM doesn't permanently change the incoming '19 PG will be behind JBo for one year all while getting a bunch of minutes as well and step right into that spot with Connor knowing his role is to spell them. Connor can play more than PG as well.

Connor might not have a scholarship his sophomore year if Iowa can bring in the right guys this coming year. You never know for sure. I'm sure Fran is high on his sons abilities. I'm looking forward to see what the guy can actually do this coming year. He probably won't be a star, but he might be pretty good.

Connor might not have a scholarship his sophomore year if Iowa can bring in the right guys this coming year. You never know for sure. I'm sure Fran is high on his sons abilities. I'm looking forward to see what the guy can actually do this coming year. He probably won't be a star, but he might be pretty good.

I mean, theoretically, between Connor and Patrick Fran has 2 additional scholarships to play with. Come one come all. If you're a top 100 recruit, we'll make room!

Latest posts