2019 Recruiting: Big Board

But Connor, for all purposes, is a 2018 pg so doesn't that hurt our chances with Carton?
That’s a fair point, maybe Carton is going to wait and see how Fran uses Connor this year.

Carton is a big one for Fran. He’s ranked highly and has some solid offers, but there haven’t been any Duke or Kentucky’s knocking on the door just yet. Point being this is the type of instate recruit that Fran is going to have to land, and he’s at the position most people feel Fran has struggled with.

That’s a fair point, maybe Carton is going to wait and see how Fran uses Connor this year.

Carton is a big one for Fran. He’s ranked highly and has some solid offers, but there haven’t been any Duke or Kentucky’s knocking on the door just yet. Point being this is the type of instate recruit that Fran is going to have to land, and he’s at the position most people feel Fran has struggled with.

If we miss out on Carton and he doesn't go to a blue blood the pitchforks are going to come out.

If we miss out on Carton and he doesn't go to a blue blood the pitchforks are going to come out.
I don’t often agree with you but that’s kind of what I have gathered. If we don’t make the dance next year and we miss out on Carton it could and should be bye bye Franny.

I don’t often agree with you but that’s kind of what I have gathered. If we don’t make the dance next year and we miss out on Carton it could and should be bye bye Franny.

If we miss the Tournament next year and still retain Fran our program is in a much worse place than I could have ever imagined.

I have been on the record saying I assume Carton is going to Iowa. I still assume that. However, the recent offer from ISU, and the fact that he basically asked to be recruited harder by ISU is a little weird to me. At least it shows me that his mind isn't exactly made up.

I have been on the record saying I assume Carton is going to Iowa. I still assume that. However, the recent offer from ISU, and the fact that he basically asked to be recruited harder by ISU is a little weird to me. At least it shows me that his mind isn't exactly made up.
Where did you hear he asked to be recruited harder by isu?

Wisconsin got a commitment from another point guard. I doubt carton goes to Iowa either way, but you never know.

If we miss the Tournament next year and still retain Fran our program is in a much worse place than I could have ever imagined.

You're being negative again but in this case I can't say I totally disagree with you. Depends, I guess, on if we narrowly miss the dance or have another horrible season.

Not that narrowly missing would be OK, just that the context could be that we're set up to make it in '19/20 at least. In that case maybe the program wouldn't be in an absolutely awful place.

You're being negative again but in this case I can't say I totally disagree with you. Depends, I guess, on if we narrowly miss the dance or have another horrible season.

Not that narrowly missing would be OK, just that the context could be that we're set up to make it in '19/20 at least. In that case maybe the program wouldn't be in an absolutely awful place.

I don't care how it happens. If we miss the Tournament 3 years in a row and retain our coach our program is a disgrace from what it once was. That is just unacceptable.

That's basically everybody. Once every few years does a class totally come together with the top targets.
Of course. I wasn't implying that it was a problem, just that it's a reality. The list of targets is a fluid one, and will change a lot over the next several months.

It's kind of a no-brainer that most programs outside of Lexington and Durham don't reel in all of their top targets.

Fran is on solid footing...made an announcement he might start coaching defense...thinks he might need a PG on the team...and he is in the midst of a rebuilding decade...enjoy the ride.

I don't care how it happens. If we miss the Tournament 3 years in a row and retain our coach our program is a disgrace from what it once was. That is just unacceptable.

I'm not saying we shouldn't fire him, even if we narrowly miss the dance next season, just that Barta won't do so because it'll be marketed that the team is on the upswing again.

I'm not saying we shouldn't fire him, even if we narrowly miss the dance next season, just that Barta won't do so because it'll be marketed that the team is on the upswing again.

It's a tough situation if we are a bubble team next year that just misses the dance. Especially if there are good recruits coming in and the freshmen look really good. Missing the tournament 3 times in a row is a fireable offense. But do you really mess with a future good thing to punish a past bad thing?

It's a tough situation if we are a bubble team next year that just misses the dance. Especially if there are good recruits coming in and the freshmen look really good. Missing the tournament 3 times in a row is a fireable offense. But do you really mess with a future good thing to punish a past bad thing?

It would be easier if part of the good thing didn't involve two of the coach's kids...live and die by it. Hawkeye Nation is counting on you, Connor and Patrick!

There is zero chance Fran is fired next year...waste of ink and time.

Since he won't be fired, lets hope that he makes the tournament and rights the ship so we aren't complaining.

I hope if we miss on Carton and Terry, we send an offer to Locure immediately. Although, I wonder if he doesn't become the second or even top option at some point.

I hope Iowa starts to meet expectations...or perhaps...perhaps...overachieves...

Several reality pills stand in the way of such dreaming...

I don't think Fran is that competent of a coach. Is this going to change over the off season?

I don't see fire in the Hawkeyes to embrace defensive intensity. Is this going to change in the off season?

Iowa is slow, up and down the line up. Is this going to change in the off season?

If Wieskamp is the Real Deal...he could make Fran look like a great coach. The Iowa fan base really needs such a pleasant surprise.

I have no idea what will happen with PG recruiting...sigh...

I hope Iowa starts to meet expectations...or perhaps...perhaps...overachieves...

Several reality pills stand in the way of such dreaming...

I don't think Fran is that competent of a coach. Is this going to change over the off season?

I don't see fire in the Hawkeyes to embrace defensive intensity. Is this going to change in the off season?

Iowa is slow, up and down the line up. Is this going to change in the off season?

If Wieskamp is the Real Deal...he could make Fran look like a great coach. The Iowa fan base really needs such a pleasant surprise.

I have no idea what will happen with PG recruiting...sigh...

Agreed, great players do tend to make a coach look better. :) Joe Torre, Phil Jackson, etc. can attest to that.

Guess I'm being Captain Obvious, but seems like with the way the past couple seasons have been, and the obvious need for a top PG on the roster, Carton may be the most important recruit in Fran's tenure as far as his future on our sidelines.

A highly-rated PG that's in-state: Gotta find a way to seal the deal on this one. Go get him, Fran.

I believe if Cook leaves (gut tells me he is gone no matter the feedback he gets), a rotation of....

1- Bohannon/McCaffery
2- Moss/Fredrick (transfer G?)
3- Dailey/Wieskamp (can be flipped as well)
4- Nunge/Baer
5- Garza/Kreiner

is already an upgrade in defense. As was pointed out in a different thread (several threads), Fran was playing probably every player he had out of position at least at one point or another. Hopefully he figures out that Nunge and Baer have to play the 4 and he has to play 3 guards in today's College Basketball scene. Hopefully isn't as encouraging but the transfers that we've seen so far does give me some optimism that he understands this. I understand all posters out here see a bunch of white guys and see no athleticism, but Wieskamp was involved in every camp and team and game on a national level as a recruit except the McDonald's All-American game. McCaffery impressed at many national camps when he was a prep as a 4* PG. Fredrick looks to be a steal if you really watch highlights and see the teams he was playing this year (also ranked higher than a good amount of recruits coming next year to other B10 teams). We know Dailey can be a good defender, Moss has shown flashes and we hope he can put it together or maybe wieskamp takes his spot eventually. Nunge guarding a 4 man rather than a 3 man will help not only the team but will help him and his development as a 6'11 player (biggest complaint was Fran playing him as a 3 and not the 4). Call me optimistic or drinking the kool-aid but I think this team will be better than most debbie-downers on this website think.

Latest posts