2019 Recruiting: Big Board

It's a tough situation if we are a bubble team next year that just misses the dance. Especially if there are good recruits coming in and the freshmen look really good. Missing the tournament 3 times in a row is a fireable offense. But do you really mess with a future good thing to punish a past bad thing?
Well if Cook does return next year he will almost undoubtedly be gone after his junior year, so our bubble team would be taking a huge hit.

Every year there is a new excuse with us Hawkeye fans. Last year it was we were so young. This year it was we didn’t have enough guards and are still very young. Next year it will be, look we improved a lot from last year an we’re close to the tournament.

Iowa basketball missed the tournament only 5 times from 1979-1999, would I be willing to watch Fran go for four consecutive missed tournaments? Absolutely not, and the Fran inherited a mess thing doesn’t play in year 10.

Granted we have Barta at the helm so this is probably a mute point, but Fran has made his bed, if next year doesn’t go well it will be time for him to lie in it, regardless of how good his son is.

I believe if Cook leaves (gut tells me he is gone no matter the feedback he gets), a rotation of....

1- Bohannon/McCaffery
2- Moss/Fredrick (transfer G?)
3- Dailey/Wieskamp (can be flipped as well)
4- Nunge/Baer
5- Garza/Kreiner

is already an upgrade in defense. As was pointed out in a different thread (several threads), Fran was playing probably every player he had out of position at least at one point or another. Hopefully he figures out that Nunge and Baer have to play the 4 and he has to play 3 guards in today's College Basketball scene. Hopefully isn't as encouraging but the transfers that we've seen so far does give me some optimism that he understands this. I understand all posters out here see a bunch of white guys and see no athleticism, but Wieskamp was involved in every camp and team and game on a national level as a recruit except the McDonald's All-American game. McCaffery impressed at many national camps when he was a prep as a 4* PG. Fredrick looks to be a steal if you really watch highlights and see the teams he was playing this year (also ranked higher than a good amount of recruits coming next year to other B10 teams). We know Dailey can be a good defender, Moss has shown flashes and we hope he can put it together or maybe wieskamp takes his spot eventually. Nunge guarding a 4 man rather than a 3 man will help not only the team but will help him and his development as a 6'11 player (biggest complaint was Fran playing him as a 3 and not the 4). Call me optimistic or drinking the kool-aid but I think this team will be better than most debbie-downers on this website think.
I think there is NCAA tournament talent on this team for next year, with or without Cook, but I’m just not sure Fran can guide it there. Here are several questions that would have to be answered to be successful.

1. Would Fran bench Pemsl and / or Kriener after playing them minutes the last two years?(very unlikely)
2. Will Fran recognize and play Baer at the 4? (unlikely- see item 1)
3. Will Fran recognize that he can play Dailey at the 3 in 3 guard lineups? (Not sure, he certainty didn’t recognize it this season)
4. Is Connor as good as you think?
5. Will Fran emphasize and properly coach defense? (Unlikely)
6. Will Moss and Dailey take the next step?

I think there is NCAA tournament talent on this team for next year, with or without Cook, but I’m just not sure Fran can guide it there. Here are several questions that would have to be answered to be successful.

1. Would Fran bench Pemsl and / or Kriener after playing them minutes the last two years?(very unlikely)
2. Will Fran recognize and play Baer at the 4? (unlikely- see item 1)
3. Will Fran recognize that he can play Dailey at the 3 in 3 guard lineups? (Not sure, he certainty didn’t recognize it this season)
4. Is Connor as good as you think?
5. Will Fran emphasize and properly coach defense? (Unlikely)
6. Will Moss and Dailey take the next step?

I think the last two questions are the only real questions to me.

1. I know Fran likes going deep, but the rotation I laid out was 10 deep and I think Kriener should play. Garza will get into foul trouble also need a break and Ryan showed flashes of being a B10 Center. Pemsl rumors have swarmed around that he might be transferring or looking into it, so that leads me to believe that he has been told. Also in B10 tourney Fran basically benched pemsl anyway. So I think the answer for me personally is yes.
2. Baer has always played the 4 before this year when he was pretty much forced, just like Nunge. He would be the 6th man anyway.
3. I think Dailey was thrown into the fire at the 1/2 because of the shortage on the guards (Fran's fault nonetheless), but I think if Fran had ideal this year he would've played him at the 2/3 with a healthy Connor.
4. The stat line for his "season":
PPG: 2
67% FG%
50% 3pt%
75% ft%
w/ 7 ast: 4 to in 53 Minutes
Not saying he'll be an all-american but I do think he will help this team a lot more than people think
5. This one I'm not sure. I have no facts to prove otherwise. His teams have statistically been better defensively than the complaints you see on here. I personally think when this team this year wanted to defend, they did head and shoulders better. I think emphasizing and motivating them on defense is key to the success, but I don't think Fran is oblivious to defense and chooses not to teach it.
6. This is the question we have to wonder as well. Dailey has shown he has developed since coming on campus. Moss is the biggest head scratcher of the bunch. He's shown flashes of being an NBA offensive player and as a RS Freshman showed he can play defense very well (see game against Iowa State and Monte Morris). This is a wait and see question just like #5.

I think the last two questions are the only real questions to me.

1. I know Fran likes going deep, but the rotation I laid out was 10 deep and I think Kriener should play. Garza will get into foul trouble also need a break and Ryan showed flashes of being a B10 Center. Pemsl rumors have swarmed around that he might be transferring or looking into it, so that leads me to believe that he has been told. Also in B10 tourney Fran basically benched pemsl anyway. So I think the answer for me personally is yes.
2. Baer has always played the 4 before this year when he was pretty much forced, just like Nunge. He would be the 6th man anyway.
3. I think Dailey was thrown into the fire at the 1/2 because of the shortage on the guards (Fran's fault nonetheless), but I think if Fran had ideal this year he would've played him at the 2/3 with a healthy Connor.
4. The stat line for his "season":
PPG: 2
67% FG%
50% 3pt%
75% ft%
w/ 7 ast: 4 to in 53 Minutes
Not saying he'll be an all-american but I do think he will help this team a lot more than people think
5. This one I'm not sure. I have no facts to prove otherwise. His teams have statistically been better defensively than the complaints you see on here. I personally think when this team this year wanted to defend, they did head and shoulders better. I think emphasizing and motivating them on defense is key to the success, but I don't think Fran is oblivious to defense and chooses not to teach it.
6. This is the question we have to wonder as well. Dailey has shown he has developed since coming on campus. Moss is the biggest head scratcher of the bunch. He's shown flashes of being an NBA offensive player and as a RS Freshman showed he can play defense very well (see game against Iowa State and Monte Morris). This is a wait and see question just like #5.
Quality points all around.

For Kriener, I think he deserves minutes if Cook leaves, but not many if he stays. Pemsl is a kid I like and think can play at this level but I wouldn’t be heartbroken if he transfers because it sets up the rotation much easier for Fran.

I think Dailey not getting minutes at the 3 was probably more of a product of Fran trying to get Nunge and Wagner minutes. That should be sorted out if Nunge moves to the 4.

A grad transfer guard would certainly be a welcome sight for me. I don’t think we are too far off from being a quality team.

If we miss out on Carton and he doesn't go to a blue blood the pitchforks are going to come out.

i don't see DJ as any different or better than CM. that's my opinion. i don't think missing on DJ would be that big a deal. the real need is to get speed and quickness on the perimeter. don't think DJ has any more of that than CM.

i don't see DJ as any different or better than CM. that's my opinion. i don't think missing on DJ would be that big a deal. the real need is to get speed and quickness on the perimeter. don't think DJ has any more of that than CM.

Speed, quickness and the ability to shoot the 3. All the F4 teams have a bunch of shooters. Us not so much.

Have you seen film on DJ? He's way more athletic and has a lot more quickness than Connor.

Speed, quickness and the ability to shoot the 3. All the F4 teams have a bunch of shooters. Us not so much.
3p shooting we have plenty of, especially with the addition of Weiskamp and if Garza continues to stroke it like he did towards the end of the season.

Speed, athleticism, and defense is where we lack severely.

3p shooting we have plenty of, especially with the addition of Weiskamp and if Garza continues to stroke it like he did towards the end of the season.

Speed, athleticism, and defense is where we lack severely.

We need guards who can stroke the 3 and if they are athletic, quick and can play D, so much the better. Wieskamp I hope is one of those guys.

Immediately add Trent Williams

Push for Mario McKinney, hard. He visited. No interest by either party now? Very physical at both ends.

Have someone on this staff take a remedial course on basic man d principles. Apply knowledge to the 2019 game, which now has a three point line.

Have you seen film on DJ? He's way more athletic and has a lot more quickness than Connor.

I watched Bett vs Musc via stream. I was not impressed with Carton as being a laterally quick ball handler with above avg handles. He didn't shoot the ball very well, either. Maybe he had a bad game, but even in his hudl vids he doesn't look like a different player than Connor. I'm not saying he's not a good player. I am saying he is the same type player as Conner and we don't need another one of those. we need a laterally quick and fast guard that can D up.

I watched Bett vs Musc via stream. I was not impressed with Carton as being a laterally quick ball handler with above avg handles. He didn't shoot the ball very well, either. Maybe he had a bad game, but even in his hudl vids he doesn't look like a different player than Connor. I'm not saying he's not a good player. I am saying he is the same type player as Conner and we don't need another one of those. we need a laterally quick and fast guard that can D up.

We need a laterally quick guard who can do all the other things well too. It doesn't do much good to trade on incomplete player for another incomplete player.

We need a laterally quick guard who can do all the other things well too. It doesn't do much good to trade on incomplete player for another incomplete player.

i don't disagree. but we're not going to get one of those for '18. we need juco help for '18 and i'll settle for one that can D up and handle the ball. defending our lane is the most important improvement we need to make.

I agree with you completely. just won't be in '18 and i am talking about '18.

I have to agree with this. I haven't seen Carton play much in person, so maybe I'm missing it but I'm not seeing a top 50 PG. I'll look for him on the AAU circuit this summer. Maybe that will help clear it up.

i don't disagree. but we're not going to get one of those for '18. we need juco help for '18 and i'll settle for one that can D up and handle the ball. defending our lane is the most important improvement we need to make.

I agree with you completely. just won't be in '18 and i am talking about '18.

We need Moss or Dailey to step up big time at the 2. We need Wieskamp to be a freshman of the year at the 3. We need Cook back with intentions of showing the NBA his defense and rebounding at the 4. We need Garza to improve a bit at the 5. If all of those things happen, we can get away with having a point guard who is good on offense and bad on defense. That's a lot if needs tho and it's unrealistic to think all of them will happen.

JBo, Dailey, and Moss all shot 3s at 38% or better, which is very good. Our backcourt still sucked this year.

I get that but I don't think Dailey and Moss are natural 3 shooters that strike fear in the opposition like J Bo can do. I think Uhl was over 40% one year too and he had the funky looking shot.

Look, we could stand to improve in many facets such as 3 point shooting, athleticism and quicks, defense. Improving in one area shouldn't mean we can't try to improve in other areas too.

I get that but I don't think Dailey and Moss are natural 3 shooters that strike fear in the opposition like J Bo can do. I think Uhl was over 40% one year too and he had the funky looking shot.

Look, we could stand to improve in many facets such as 3 point shooting, athleticism and quicks, defense. Improving in one area shouldn't mean we can't try to improve in other areas too.
Absolutely, especially after the season we had. Weiskamp certainly helps I think he is more of a natural shooter who can put it on the deck and score as well.

Latest posts