2014 Basketball Recruiting: Interests and Offers

with Basabe and McCabe graduating, we really could use a "tough guy" in this class. maybe a JUCO would be the best option?

And Harrison Barnes types...hahahahahahahaha

Honestly, I am not worried about having tough guys on the roster. The players to be that are there, just a matter of weather they will or not.

And Harrison Barnes types...hahahahahahahaha

Honestly, I am not worried about having tough guys on the roster. The players to be that are there, just a matter of weather they will or not.

no, i mean Charles Barkley types.

do you think Woodbury and Uthoff can rebound and grind it out in the big 10? that's what i mean when i say tough. Zach can do that, and Mel definitely can. i think Gabe can get there too. just would be nice to get someone big instead of all these long and lean dudes.

no, i mean Charles Barkley types.

do you think Woodbury and Uthoff can rebound and grind it out in the big 10? that's what i mean when i say tough. Zach can do that, and Mel definitely can. i think Gabe can get there too. just would be nice to get someone big instead of all these long and lean dudes.

Actually I do, but I would rather see Karl Malone types...not really Barkley is the best PF in bball history.

Woodbury is a lot of things and tough is one of them; I think he is going to surprise everyone next year.

A guy that we are not thinking about is Kyle Meyer, now, he hasn't shown a lot, but I think he will be a solid player and rebounder when he has some extended time.

Actually I do, but I would rather see Karl Malone types...not really Barkley is the best PF in bball history.

Woodbury is a lot of things and tough is one of them; I think he is going to surprise everyone next year.

A guy that we are not thinking about is Kyle Meyer, now, he hasn't shown a lot, but I think he will be a solid player and rebounder when he has some extended time.

i also think Woody is tough. but he ain't there yet to match the strength with his toughness.

heck, i'd love a reggie evans or charles oakley. every team needs one of them.

i also think Woody is tough. but he ain't there yet to match the strength with his toughness.

heck, i'd love a reggie evans or charles oakley. every team needs one of them.

Ed Horton or Kent Hill would do for me. When people ask about what players they would choose from the past, those are two guys I would have over anyone from the 2000's.

with Basabe and McCabe graduating, we really could use a "tough guy" in this class. maybe a JUCO would be the best option?

Willie Atwood seems to be the guy we're looking at that would best fill the position you're talking about. If he worked out, he could be a good class transition guy, playing behind White his junior year and starting his senior year with a 2015 frosh behind him.
Willie Atwood - Yahoo! Sports

Willie Atwood seems to be the guy we're looking at that would best fill the position you're talking about. If he worked out, he could be a good class transition guy, playing behind White his junior year and starting his senior year with a 2015 frosh behind him.
Willie Atwood - Yahoo! Sports
215 lbs. Could use some weight on him to be a "tough guy". That won't happen as a juco guy. At 6'8", nice length. That fits fran's schemes. I assume he can run, being only 215lbs.

Willie Atwood stats
Willie Atwood | #2 | Forward | Connors State College - NJCAA Stats

He gets to the free throw line a crazy amount of times. Listed at 220 lbs on team roster.

Scout.com: Willie Atwood
Thanks for the stat link Rusty.
Nice stat line for Willie Atwood of 22.1 pts, 8.4rb, 60.6%fg, 80.8%ft for Connors State JC.
And the 80.8%ft stat is on 11.7 attempts per game (15 games so far).
One game he had 37 attempts from the line. He must be hard to guard.

From your other link it looks like Auburn is interested.
Andrew Francis from the Iowa staff is targeting him according to his Yahoo profile.

PG trey dickerson and SG novian cherry (out of san diego by way of atlanta) lighting up their twitter feeds about the hawks after the OSU win today

cherry would be a soph next year (he was eligible out of hs, but went juco to raise his stock)

dickerson we heard about last fall

just looked it up and this was his tweet before the Iowa v OSU game. though it looks like he pretty much RT's a lot of stuff from other teams as well.

[tweet]422462002196254720[/tweet]

the current juco targets (no offers, but the twitterrati have reported staff sightings at games):

pg dickerson
sg cherry
pf atwood

offer still out to pf nzei

staff have watched pf rokas gustys a couple of times

others have had single visits, but apparently no return ones

dickerson has speed and explosiveness, can shoot and distribute, but has a flaky rep. upside: chauncey leslie. downside: brian garner.

cherry has an old school game -- can really shoot it, uses his athleticism in spots, but his videos mainly show a kid knocking down a lot of open jumpers (which suggests he's pretty good at getting open in the first place). upside: james moses. downside: justin johnson

nzei, you know I like me some nzei. he has some limitations, but he could be a real pain in the neck for other teams in fran's system. mel's skill set with tyler smith/jeff walker hops and speed.

gustys. big bruiser. limited upside, but he's a relentess rebounder who could come in an out-brawl badgers and spartans. enforcer. jake jaacks with less offense.

atwood? a bunch of progams are getting in on atwood. athletic 4.

staff may or may not still be in contact with milik yarbrough and josh cunningham. both have been major flakes (cunningham cancelled/no-showed at least two visits to schools, apparently), and yarbrough may not qualify.

the current juco targets (no offers, but the twitterrati have reported staff sightings at games):

pg dickerson
sg cherry
pf atwood

dickerson has speed and explosiveness, can shoot and distribute, but has a flaky rep. upside: chauncey leslie. downside: brian garner.

cherry has an old school game -- can really shoot it, uses his athleticism in spots, but his videos mainly show a kid knocking down a lot of open jumpers (which suggests he's pretty good at getting open in the first place). upside: james moses. downside: justin johnson

nzei, you know I like me some nzei. he has some limitations, but he could be a real pain in the neck for other teams in fran's system. mel's skill set with tyler smith/jeff walker hops and speed.

gustys. big bruiser. limited upside, but he's a relentess rebounder who could come in an out-brawl badgers and spartans. enforcer. jake jaacks with less offense.

staff may or may not still be in contact with milik yarbrough and josh cunningham. both have been major flakes (cunningham cancelled/no-showed at least two visits to schools, apparently), and yarbrough may not qualify.

Out of that group which two would you most like to get? Dickerson would have 3 years and Atwood 2? I think Dickerson plus Atwood or Nzei would be ideal, with Atwood being able to contribute more next season.

I'd like dickerson and atwood

fran could use another pg

we need a pf to step in and take mccabe/mel minutes -- nzei probably won't be there next year.

Last edited:

pg dickerson
sg cherry
pf atwood

If the staff offers Dickerson, I'd be all for it because it would mean that they've checked up on the possible deficits and gave the green light. I liked what I saw of him on video. He really seems high on the team and tweets with some of the guys.

Getting Atwood would mean that this season made an impression on his view of Iowa because I don't think we could get a kid like that, with the bigs pursuing him, last year.

Nzei could be a nice Mel replacement.

Do you have a a vids of Cherry and Gustys? I've never heard of them.

Latest posts