2014 Basketball Recruiting: Interests and Offers

wait and see on okwarabizie and enzei, and look for a juco pf.

wait and see on the north carolina pg.

I don't think they'll sign 2 in the spring -- especially if they have a good ncaa run. better to go after top 150 HS kids if the program has been in the top 25 and makes some noise in the tournament than to sign borderline players just to fill spots.

It wouldn't bother me if Iowa doesn't sign anyone else for the 2014 class to be honest. It would be nice to see Iowa be able to go all out on more than one highly rated player at a time.

Iowa does have a ton of offers out on guys top to bottom in the Top 150 for the 2015 class and with some really good wins and a maybe a Sweet 16 run, it could be impactful.

If Iowa does sign someone, it wouldn't bother me to see the raw C and let him learn.

Sounds like JUCO PG Trey Dickerson is close to a decision. On his twitter he retweeted some one who posted "hawks!!!".
[video=youtube;yMcGS--CNgQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMcGS--CNgQ[/video]

If we go to the NCAA this year and with what we bring back for the following years, Iowa would be a very nice landing spot for an athletic wing transfer, who either could play immediately or after sitting out a year.

i'd think so.

Sounds like JUCO PG Trey Dickerson is close to a decision. On his twitter he retweeted some one who posted "hawks!!!".
[video=youtube;yMcGS--CNgQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMcGS--CNgQ[/video]

I don't think the guy has an Iowa offer. I'd rather have Iowa wait and see what happens with Graham.

^^^ He kind of looks like Reggie Evans a little ^^^ He also has a fair amount of colleges after him as well,,,glad Frannie Boy is after him...

clark is off the table -- he may not qualify

kid must be a little flaky, too -- he's been listing a final three of oregon, oklahoma, and iowa. but now he says it's smu, ole miss, and kansas state.

I saw that Michael Nzei is on his way to Iowa for his official visit right now. He looks like a pretty good prospect. Doesn't look like he cant do much outside of 7 ft from the hoop, but is a high energy guy. 247sports is starting to put some predictions of him going to commit to the Hawks. If he is coming to the Blowout and looking at who we are fighting for him, I wouldn't be surprised if he commits by next Thursday.

Here is his highlights.

Michael Nzei Basketball Highlights - Class of 2014 Our Savior - 2012 National Hoops Festival - YouTube

I read somewhere that Nzei got a late start into this AAU season and a lot of high majors were watching him, but Iowa is the only one that has offered.

If he can be a Basabe type player, I am good with that.

It would be good to get another East Coast kid and I am still curious to see where Jackson Forbes lands, he is on his last official visit at Yale this weekend. Keep in mind Forbes wasn't really that set on playing basketball in college early on, but has developed in the last year, could be a sleeper. We wouldn't have to worry about his academics.

Honestly, it would be nice to have the class all signed in November.

I saw that Michael Nzei is on his way to Iowa for his official visit right now. He looks like a pretty good prospect. Doesn't look like he cant do much outside of 7 ft from the hoop, but is a high energy guy. 247sports is starting to put some predictions of him going to commit to the Hawks. If he is coming to the Blowout and looking at who we are fighting for him, I wouldn't be surprised if he commits by next Thursday.

Here is his highlights.

Michael Nzei Basketball Highlights - Class of 2014 Our Savior - 2012 National Hoops Festival - YouTube

Excuse me but didn't the 247 website unanimously predict LaChance to Iowa and Uhl to Temple? Not giving me that warm and fuzzy feeling.

I like Nzei

rep: undersized 4 (but he should fill out to Mel-size), no left hand, no post moves, raw defensively, no jumper. but -- he is a relentless and instinctual rebounder, runs the floor exceptionally well, gets out on the break for easy baskets, has a huge motor and great work ethic.

he'll need at least a year to be a contributor. if he can get some defensive fundamentals and a Mel-level handle, he'll be a very useful energy and garbage guy. he could develop into a freak rebound machine, but needs to become competent defensively.

monster athlete, will probably have at least one gabe-like highlight dunk against a weak team his freshman year.

I'd rather see Okwarabizie than Forbes.

Okwatabizie would need a redshirt, and would give you two projects in the class (along with Nzei) which is a risk, but if he's in position to qualify, I'd rather see the athletic project 5 than an average 3 glue guy (Forbes).

besides, we need to work the pan-african emigree connection with jok, oleseni, nzei, and okwarabizie. that's a lot of vowels.

Would love to see OK in a Hawk uniform. From what I've been reading, he virtually a clone of Gabe when Gabe was a freshman. Big, raw, and athletic. If the coaches can get him to Iowa and work their magic on him, he will be a decent replacement in 3 years and solidify Fran's status as a developer of talent.

But I forget .. .. Fran can't recruit or develop talent. ;)

GO HAWKS!!!

I'd rather see Okwarabizie than Forbes.

Okwatabizie would need a redshirt, and would give you two projects in the class (along with Nzei) which is a risk, but if he's in position to qualify, I'd rather see the athletic project 5 than an average 3 glue guy (Forbes).

besides, we need to work the pan-african emigree connection with jok, oleseni, nzei, and okwarabizie. that's a lot of vowels.

I'm not against taking any of those guys individually, but if we take Okwatabzie, Nzei and Uhl then I think we have to go after a couple of either juco or D-1 transfers next year. We're going to be real thin behind the Gesell-Clemmons-Jok-Uthoff-Woody core and will need guys who can contribute right away. I would rather only take one more freshman this year and hold the other scholarship open until spring to see what's out there at that time.

I'm not against taking any of those guys individually, but if we take Okwatabzie, Nzei and Uhl then I think we have to go after a couple of either juco or D-1 transfers next year. We're going to be real thin behind the Gesell-Clemmons-Jok-Uthoff-Woody core and will need guys who can contribute right away. I would rather only take one more freshman this year and hold the other scholarship open until spring to see what's out there at that time.

I agree with this assessment. There is only so many projects you can take in every year. Last year, Jok was the perfect project because no one knew how he would be after his injury and didn't know exactly what his ceiling would be. But he could still have injury issues during his career at Iowa, so you can't have a bunch of projects on the bench and hope that someone can fill in. (Granted I know Jok is a 2/3 and all of these guys are 3-5 guys, but I thought th premise was still the same)

If Iowa gets Nzei, they don't need anymore frontcourt players especially guys that aren't physically ready to play. Has anyone actually seen Ok play?

Iowa has lacked depth and quality play at the 3 position for a long time. Jok helps, but he will be a pure wing, a guy that will play 2/3, but mainly the 2 I am thinking, no real difference between the two positions, outside of who you guard defensively.

This is why a guy like Forbes interests me, like I said he really had no intention of playing college basketball until recently with his growth and ability to shoot the ball. If he is a guy at 6-6 and already around 200 lbs, at least physically he is ready.

Uhl is going to take over Aaron White's role, so no worries there, just get him ready to play physically. Ellingson is your classic SG and will be able to fill Oglesby's role once he graduates.

Nzei gets fills the Basabe/Olaseni role, but I think people are forgetting about Meyer. The jury is out at this point, but he is still a frontcourt player that will be in the mix a lot more next season. Frontcourt can be addressed in the 2015 class to me if Iowa gets one more. The position that sticks out is PG, if there is an injury next season...I think Jok becomes that guy who can fill the void if needed, but that is just me.

I like Nzei

rep: undersized 4 (but he should fill out to Mel-size), no left hand, no post moves, raw defensively, no jumper. but -- he is a relentless and instinctual rebounder, runs the floor exceptionally well, gets out on the break for easy baskets, has a huge motor and great work ethic.

he'll need at least a year to be a contributor. if he can get some defensive fundamentals and a Mel-level handle, he'll be a very useful energy and garbage guy. he could develop into a freak rebound machine, but needs to become competent defensively.

monster athlete, will probably have at least one gabe-like highlight dunk against a weak team his freshman year.

if this is the only kind of recruit iowa can get right now then they in BIG trouble.

Latest posts