2014 Basketball Recruiting: Interests and Offers

Here's what some basketball sport's writers were quoted as saying after Nzei's performanance from the August Adidas Nation's event held in S. Cal:

Michael Nzei, 6’8, Nigeria, Team Africa, Our Savior New American (NY). The power forward was the best rebounder at the event (10.6 rpg) and had twice as many offensive boards (6.4 pg) as any other player. He shows very quick jumping ability, and had several quick dunks, one over 7’0 Myles Turner that was the best individual play of the event. The 2014 recruit will be on most teams recruiting lists now.

....or from another:

*Michael Nzei (6-7/Nigeria/Centerreach, NY, Our Savior/Team Africa): He’s one of elite power forward-prospects in the Class of 2014 and was the best rebounder in this event.

or..............

Michael Nzei – 6’8 Power Forward, Africa (Our Savior New American High School – Centerreach, New York)
Michael Nzei had an up-and-down tournament in terms of productivity, generally based upon playing time, but made the most of his opportunities when afforded them. Highlighted by a 16-point, 14-rebound effort against Team USA 2014 Red, Nzei captured the attention of many in attendance throughout the tournament with his athleticism, agility and versatility when on the court. Whether through a few thunderous dunks in traffic as well as transition, or his propensity to clean up the offensive glass, Nzei was the beneficiary of several audible “oohs†and “aahs†from the crowd throughout the weekend.
Although unavailable for comment, Nzei has reportedly drawn interest from the likes of Hofstra, Iona, Iowa, Old Dominion and St. Joseph’s.

Here's what some basketball sport's writers were quoted as saying after Nzei's performanance from the August Adidas Nation's event held in S. Cal:

Michael Nzei, 6’8, Nigeria, Team Africa, Our Savior New American (NY). The power forward was the best rebounder at the event (10.6 rpg) and had twice as many offensive boards (6.4 pg) as any other player. He shows very quick jumping ability, and had several quick dunks, one over 7’0 Myles Turner that was the best individual play of the event. The 2014 recruit will be on most teams recruiting lists now.

....or from another:

*Michael Nzei (6-7/Nigeria/Centerreach, NY, Our Savior/Team Africa): He’s one of elite power forward-prospects in the Class of 2014 and was the best rebounder in this event.

or..............

Michael Nzei – 6’8 Power Forward, Africa (Our Savior New American High School – Centerreach, New York)
Michael Nzei had an up-and-down tournament in terms of productivity, generally based upon playing time, but made the most of his opportunities when afforded them. Highlighted by a 16-point, 14-rebound effort against Team USA 2014 Red, Nzei captured the attention of many in attendance throughout the tournament with his athleticism, agility and versatility when on the court. Whether through a few thunderous dunks in traffic as well as transition, or his propensity to clean up the offensive glass, Nzei was the beneficiary of several audible “oohs” and “aahs” from the crowd throughout the weekend.
Although unavailable for comment, Nzei has reportedly drawn interest from the likes of Hofstra, Iona, Iowa, Old Dominion and St. Joseph’s.

Great info. Thanks!

Curious to what a strong start / Top 25 rating does to fringe prospects.

I feel as fans, we always inflate what a crazy crowd + a win does when a prospect is visiting. So equally wondering how much it helps to be rated in the Top 25 and how much a particular recruiter uses that to the team's advantage.

What is the story on this kid:

Nate Gehring - Yahoo! Sports

I am from Waukee, and I've never heard of him. Now granted I haven't followed Waukee BB since my nephew graduated (he was in Wil Artino's class). If he is who I think he is, he was a Fr. when they were Sr, He was about 6'7 at the time, and nothing really special, except he was tall for a Fr. in Iowa.

Sorry I don't have more than that Sportstalent. I will keep my ears open though.

iowa needs a pf

adding one through juco would load up the utoff-woodbury-gesell-clemmons class -- but, had ingram stayed, you would have had 5 in that class anyway

nzei. gehring, and the lithuanian kid fran watched at oak hill may be a crap shoot: one will turn out to be a good B10 player, while the others most likely won't.

that fran offered nzei in the fall says a lot -- and I hope the kid comes to iowa. whenever his hs coach is quoted in interviews, he mentions east coast schools, so maybe it won't happen.

i wonder if the big monster kid at SC East will get any serious looks. tall, but a lot thicker than Woodbury was at that age. might be a good "project" if he has a decent skill set. of course i don't know yet, but hope to make a East game soon.

i wonder if the big monster kid at SC East will get any serious looks. tall, but a lot thicker than Woodbury was at that age. might be a good "project" if he has a decent skill set. of course i don't know yet, but hope to make a East game soon.

I would like to see Fran offer him.

I am from Waukee, and I've never heard of him. Now granted I haven't followed Waukee BB since my nephew graduated (he was in Wil Artino's class). If he is who I think he is, he was a Fr. when they were Sr, He was about 6'7 at the time, and nothing really special, except he was tall for a Fr. in Iowa.

Sorry I don't have more than that Sportstalent. I will keep my ears open though.

Waukee played Linn Mar last Tuesday and won 56-51. This article says Gehring will play at Pepperdine next year. Waukee has a large HS front line (6-10, 6-8, and 6-7).

Waukee too tall for Lions, 56-51

6'9" 250 lithuanian rokas gustys (oak hill, va) getting interest from iowa

slow, plays below the rim a lot, but strong as a horse and an excellent rebounder

best case: baltic evans lite

worst case: baltic brommer

less of a project than okwarabizie, but less of a potential upside

6'9" 250 lithuanian rokas gustys (oak hill, va) getting interest from iowa

slow, plays below the rim a lot, but strong as a horse and an excellent rebounder

best case: baltic evans lite

worst case: baltic brommer

less of a project than okwarabizie, but less of a potential upside
I'd rather see Okwarabizie. Bring him in, redshirt him, and let him develop much like Olesani.

Just my 2¢ .. ..

GO HAWKS!!!

with Basabe and McCabe graduating, we really could use a "tough guy" in this class. maybe a JUCO would be the best option?

Latest posts