Ihmir Smith-Marsette

If we need ISM to beat Michigan...then we just showed up thinking we can win. Our defense is going to make it really hard for them to score. You will never mistake Michigan's offensive line for Wisconsin's. They have talent...but we have a huge advantage in the trenches...but you have to show up. Michigan has also had a ton of injuries on their front. We should be able to just pound them on both sides of the ball.
Why do you keep saying Michigan? Did I miss something? Indiana is in 2nd place in the East; we are in 2nd place in the West. Maryland is in 3rd place in the East. There's no way on earth we could/should play Mich.! Again, did I miss something?

OK, I saw the tweet on Twitter. I guess that's a win on paper for us; boost our W/L total, but a victory over Indiana would have meant a better bowl.

If he can't go, it could open up more of an opportunity for Tyrone Tracy. It could be his time to shine and a precursor to next year.
Tracy and Ragaini have been quiet lately. They may both need to step up and are capable of doing so.

And whatever happened to Ivory Kelly-Martin? Did he even record a stat yesterday?

Why do you keep saying Michigan? Did I miss something? Indiana is in 2nd place in the East; we are in 2nd place in the West. Maryland is in 3rd place in the East. There's no way on earth we could/should play Mich.! Again, did I miss something?
Doesn't Indiana have a brewing Covid situation?

Which makes our match up with Michigan even more puzzling
Not really, just a process of elimination. Nebraska and Rutgers isn’t really a rivalry, although it might turn into one with both being bottom feeders, but Iowa\Michigan is a sexy matchup for TV. They wanted to get Minnesot/Wisconsin and Indiana/Purdue matched up.

Last edited:
Tracy and Ragaini have been quiet lately. They may both need to step up and are capable of doing so.

And whatever happened to Ivory Kelly-Martin? Did he even record a stat yesterday?

Injured in practice last week and did not suit up for the game.

I get the rivalry games. But they are down 17 rivalry games if I saw correctly during the Iowa/Wisconsin broadcast. I can see the other match-ups being preserved but there is a clear top-4 in the Big.....made sense for those four to play regardless. But, Purdue is no pushover. Lets beat Michigan and the prize is likely one of three great bowl games. Foul-tip by the Big, count is now 0-2. :)

I think the really big and important thing that no one is talking about for the ISM flip is the incredible amount of air he gets. He has to be a good 5 feet of the ground if not more at the pinnacle of the flip.

How the heck has he not been able to jump to catch some of the high or overthrown passes during the last 4 years?!?!

(Obvious sarcasm is not obvious to some)

Young and dumb, been there, just never had SM's talent to go with it. Hope he heals fast. Lesson learned, he's learning alot this year it seems!!

- I also wondered why a flag was not thrown. I thought there would be a sure flag when I saw him do it. Seems to be a very subjective call among officials.
- I wonder when he decided to do it. Was it just a quick whim decision or did he have it planned if he was going to score from a catch and run.
- Didn't pick the best day to do that with the weather conditions. Just a young player not thinking.

On a side note, did you see how far he actually flew when flipping. Damn impressive though. He went about 7-8 yrds I think. Damn near to the end of the end zone.

That should have been a penalty. It just is. When I say it was stupid...that's why. It was a 14-7 game and it could have taken an important touchdown off the board. Think about it. If we were 14-7 and Taylor does the Soccer kick...well...that wouldn't be good would it.

Wisconsin was never going to be in this game unless Iowa brought them into it. Both Jones and Taylor tried their best. It's kind of crazy that those things happened in this game. Both those guys have been exceptional all year.

But Matt Roth can celebrate a sack against Florida by mocking their gator chomp, or end a pre bowl press conference with a double bird salute to LSU.

I've always believed in doing your talking with your performance as well, but in this case 7 for 140 and 2 TD's spoke loud and clear. Remember ISM was part of an effort in 2017 that put up less than 100 yards of offense. Also there was some yapping going on out there and one hit on ISM was close to (but not) targeting. I don't remember much yapping after ISM shut them up, though to be fair I didn't watch the last six minutes of the game.

As for the NFL, all you have to do is turn your TV on any Sunday of the season. The NFL is full of wide receivers who showboat. Perhaps there the ones showing the bad example.

Overall you're just butthurt because you don't believe this is the Iowa way. Lighten up Francis, we beat Wisconsin. If ISM were really an issue he would have retaliated against the Illinois player last week after the TD and drawn fifteen or an ejection.

Welcome to The Holy Land of Hoops • View topic - Big East Conference  Realignment v2018

:cool::cool::cool:

If he had stuck the landing I thought it would have been kinda cool, but that is just me. Was it dumb? Yes. This stuff doesn’t really bother me unless it becomes excessive.

Or unless you end up in a boot. My first thought was damn that dude got some distance. The only reaction that matters is that of his teammates and coaches. Our opinion doesn't matter, but if that's the exclamation point after a losing streak against a rival my guess would be his teammates are going to be ok with his response.

Last edited:
Not really, just a process of elimination. Nebraska and Rutgers isn’t really a rivalry, although it might turn into one with both being bottom feeders, but Iowa\Michigan is a sexy matchup for TV. They wanted to get Minnesot/Wisconsin and Indiana/Purdue matched up.

Out of all of the Big 10 teams here are who I consider our rivals

Minnesota
Wisconsin
Nebraska (if you grew up in SW Iowa)

Michigan being a rivalry game is a bit of a stretch.

That should have been a penalty. It just is. When I say it was stupid...that's why. It was a 14-7 game and it could have taken an important touchdown off the board. Think about it. If we were 14-7 and Taylor does the Soccer kick...well...that wouldn't be good would it.

Wisconsin was never going to be in this game unless Iowa brought them into it. Both Jones and Taylor tried their best. It's kind of crazy that those things happened in this game. Both those guys have been exceptional all year.
Yes, it was a penalty - excessive celebration. He initiated the flip after crossing the goal line. It would have been 15 yards tacked on to the PAT or the kick off starting line - I can't remember.

Dumb, selfish, but overblown on the message boards.
Like I said before, this would be much ado a out nothing had he stuck the landing instead of tweeking his ankle.

Out of all of the Big 10 teams here are who I consider our rivals

Minnesota
Wisconsin
Nebraska (if you grew up in SW Iowa)

Michigan being a rivalry game is a bit of a stretch.

You are neglecting our bitter rivalry with the hated Boilermakers, who were our protected rivals under that old Leaders and Legends split.