Ihmir Smith-Marsette

Bullshit whataboutism.

ISM has been like this since day one. It used to cost us a bunch of fumbles beginning with his freshman year with stupid risky moves when he had the ball. Yeah he has some great skills but his antics after every catch is beyond ridiculous. Yeah he was a huge factor why we beat Wisconsin but so what? His antics have nothing to do with his skill. Talking some smack is fine but these ridiculous celebrations because he got a first down becomes a display of stupidity.

You can see why there are some people turned off by him.
People are turned off by him because they are idiots. This guy has made great play after great play his entire career. Wow...are you telling me freshmen players, young players, make mistakes and may not be ready for B10 football? What a shocker. He was grossly undersized...and should have redshirted. Why do you think he played as a freshman? Speed and talent...that's why and he was our best chance for a difference maker on the outside and to put pressure on the defense.

This guy has made so many plays for this team. Sure, he's had some dumb penalties too. But he plays hard...he's battling guys bigger than he is...and he's got an attitude that I'm going to beat you. That Wisconsin DB, actually a few of them...were talking the whole game. Good for him for giving it back to them. I think the flip was the final in your face.

I don't like him because of his antics. You probably didn't have a problem with all the kick off returns for touchdowns though did you.

People are turned off by him because they are idiots. This guy has made great play after great play his entire career. Wow...are you telling me freshmen players, young players, make mistakes and may not be ready for B10 football? What a shocker. He was grossly undersized...and should have redshirted. Why do you think he played as a freshman? Speed and talent...that's why and he was our best chance for a difference maker on the outside and to put pressure on the defense.

This guy has made so many plays for this team. Sure, he's had some dumb penalties too. But he plays hard...he's battling guys bigger than he is...and he's got an attitude that I'm going to beat you. That Wisconsin DB, actually a few of them...were talking the whole game. Good for him for giving it back to them. I think the flip was the final in your face.

I don't like him because of his antics. You probably didn't have a problem with all the kick off returns for touchdowns though did you.

Okay.

Perhaps I was being a bit harsh on ISM. I think I just find his antics and celebrations immature. But that is me. I played high school ball and the only thing that was on my mind was making plays and winning the game. I know things are different these days so I am talking 30 years ago. That is what I am used to so any celebrations when it is NOT as TD is off putting especially for college ball. I don't mind touchdown celebrations at all. Just that his flip not a smart move no matter how pumped he was. Obviously if he didn't hurt himself we would not be talking about this at all. But I would never bring up his antics because I really don't care that much to even bring it up or start a thread about it. Its just not that important. But with what happened on Saturday and this threads discussion, I figured I would make a comment on my opinion of the situation.

I like trash talk. I guess I am a bit old school in that I just don't like excessive celebrations from 1st downs or just a good play at least in college ball. The NFL is a different story. But that is just me.

And by the way my opinions have nothing to do with his skill which I will never dispute. However I did point out fumbles he has made when trying to make a splashy play that has way to much written all over it. I said beginning with his freshman year so what I meant was through out his career at Iowa.

The last comment you made about me not liking him or liking him for running back TD's from kick off returns was a bit over the top though. I can love a great play and still not like his antics. But that is me. Everyone is different.

Yeah...I get where you are coming from...but I also understand why he does what he does. He's always been the little guy...battling the physical nature of the B10. He gets held and roughed up a ton. Then when guys are trash talking you too...well...you can see why he rubs it in the other teams face when he makes a play.

I remember ISM when he came up...the B10 took a toll on him. He just wasn't physical enough to get through press coverage well. He's worked hard and he's become a hell of a player. He struggled early...those first two games...but lately...he's been playing like the end of last year. It's also has helped that Petras has improved...obviously.

Does anyone know how bad the ankle is? Out this week...back by the bowl game?

KF said no surgery. If I had to guess, I would say broken fibula. He twisted (not rolled) his foot to the outside. That could do one of 3 things (not necessarily mutually exclusive):

1) tear his inside ankle ligaments (the typical ankle sprain is a roll to the outside with a tearing of the outside ligaments)

2) cause a high ankle sprain (this is a tearing of the ligaments that hold the 2 bones of the lower leg together; these get separated as the rectangular foot bone twists within them)

3) break his fibula due to the torsion applied to the foot

If it was just a sprain, he likely would have grabbed at his shoe top, or along the inside of his ankle.

In actuality, he grabbed the outside of the leg. Not at the ankle, but about half way up his leg. About the only thing that could be is a broken fibula (could be some sprain along with it, but the break would probably be the most painful).

The fibula is the non-weight-bearing bone in the leg; if it was a minor fracture, healing would be around 6 weeks. If there was substantial ligament damage at the same time, it would take longer.

Jack Youngblood famously played through the 1979 playoffs with a broken fibula, but it would be pretty much impossible for a skill-position player to pull that off.

Jeez, give the kid a break. He just scored a TD against a rival in a big game.

Those of us who were not fans of the old KF regime should be happy and embrace this new demonstration of joy and freedom for the players. Those who like the Military style of Old KF will hate this, but guess what? This is a new generation of player at Iowa and we will see a lot more of this.

Does it suck he hurt himself? Yep. Was I disappointed when I saw him leave the sideline and come out in a boot? Yep.

But it was a pretty awesome flip.
There has been massive chatter for two months on Chicago sports radio that hiring an old school curmudgeon like Tony LaRussa will suck all the joy out of the modern era Chicago White Sox. One talk show host said winning a World Series with LaRussa won't be as much fun. Another has threatened to not renew his season tickets.

KF said no surgery. If I had to guess, I would say broken fibula. He twisted (not rolled) his foot to the outside. That could do one of 3 things (not necessarily mutually exclusive):

1) tear his inside ankle ligaments (the typical ankle sprain is a roll to the outside with a tearing of the outside ligaments)

2) cause a high ankle sprain (this is a tearing of the ligaments that hold the 2 bones of the lower leg together; these get separated as the rectangular foot bone twists within them)

3) break his fibula due to the torsion applied to the foot

If it was just a sprain, he likely would have grabbed at his shoe top, or along the inside of his ankle.

In actuality, he grabbed the outside of the leg. Not at the ankle, but about half way up his leg. About the only thing that could be is a broken fibula (could be some sprain along with it, but the break would probably be the most painful).

The fibula is the non-weight-bearing bone in the leg; if it was a minor fracture, healing would be around 6 weeks. If there was substantial ligament damage at the same time, it would take longer.

Jack Youngblood famously played through the 1979 playoffs with a broken fibula, but it would be pretty much impossible for a skill-position player to pull that off.

Better to break it than Sprain it. Those high ankle sprains take forever to heal.

To hell with all this speculation. What is the OFFICIAL IOWA press release?

Better to break it than Sprain it. Those high ankle sprains take forever to heal.

I was just looking at the video again (discussing it with a student in my biomechanics class); initially I thought he grabbed the outside of his leg, but he might have been grabbing in front (it was a quick motion as he was standing). He walked it off pretty easily, and I think KF said they hope to have him for bowl game (in about 2 weeks). It might be a mild high-ankle sprain.

I wish they would have addressed it at the KF-press conference yesterday, but I suppose they don't see any great need to give their future bowl opponent a clear view of if he is or is not available.

I was just looking at the video again (discussing it with a student in my biomechanics class); initially I thought he grabbed the outside of his leg, but he might have been grabbing in front (it was a quick motion as he was standing). He walked it off pretty easily, and I think KF said they hope to have him for bowl game (in about 2 weeks). It might be a mild high-ankle sprain.

I wish they would have addressed it at the KF-press conference yesterday, but I suppose they don't see any great need to give their future bowl opponent a clear view of if he is or is not available.
Yeah, that makes sense.

Latest posts