Xavier Foster Announcement

Look at an 18 year old kid. In his lifetime who has had the better program? Playing for conference titles (even the tournament)? Success in the NCAAs? Players in the NBA?

Uh yeah....no box checked on our side.

Another reason to get a coach who can get it done here at Iowa, Fran has shown he can't do any of those above.

This will suck donkey balls if XF goes to that animal husbandry school to the west.

If that’s the case, this is squarely on Fran. No excuses. He simply can’t compete for better talent. I’m not even saying “top.”

If he loses out on XF, he needs to immediately fire Sherm and bring in younger aggressive assistants who can recruit, especially minorities.

Fran has had long enough to establish recruiting ties at Iowa. Nothing’s going to change unless he decides to.

Fran simply can't recruit. I mean if you can't get a kid who grew up as a fan of your team over your in state rival, that is pathetic.

The thing with the Fran can’t recruit crowd is they only ever bring up the negatives. I’m not going to sit here and say he’s an amazing recruiter but he’s had his successes.

Tyler Cook and Luka Garza are both out of state 4* that were quality lands. I think Fran has to be applauded for Aaron White, sticking with Peter Jok. Olaseni and Clemmons are other quality finds that come to mind. If you’re going to knock Fran for not getting XF if it happens than he deserves some credit for getting Wieskamp.

The other elephant in the room is coaching his sons. You have to wonder what obstacles that’s causing on the recruiting trail. I have to imagine coaches and handlers of these recruits saying you don’t want to go there he’s going to play his sons over you. It’s the nature of the beast unfortunately. Hopefully we will have some successful teams with his sons playing the next few years.

Listen I’ll be bummed if we don’t get XF and this class ends where it is right now. Recruiting rankings are not the end all be all, I bet Illinois has had 10 more 4* than we have over the last 10 years but we’ve had a lot more on court success than they have.

Fran can’t recruit or coach.

Sure was good enough at both to kick ISU’S ass, and their world class talent/coaching last year.

That’s such a tunnel vision way to look at Foster’s recruitment.

Why is that? I wasn't on here saying not getting DJ Carton was a failure, because he didn't grow up a fan of the Hawks. Fran has been recruiting Xavier for 4 years, this isn't like Xavier developed late. Plus it isn't like he is going up against a Kansas or Duke or something, heck he isn't even going up against a Michigan or OSU for him. He was going up against that goober Steve freaking Prohm. It ain't like Prohm is pulling in 4* after 4*, he is getting lower rated 3* guys.

That said it ain't over til it's over, but if Xavier does go to ISU, you should be way more pissed off that you seem to be.

Someone I know in Ames says there's buzz that he told Prohm on his visit. The place where he works does a lot of biz with the athletic dept and coaches. He could be pulling my leg, but he's usually a pretty low key straight shooter.

Sounds legit and has a chance to be true. I'm saying it's 75% he goes to ISU but, at least I'm not going to spend too much energy on hoping for the alternative. The blow is already cushioned.

Sounds legit and has a chance to be true. I'm saying it's 75% he goes to ISU but, at least I'm not going to spend too much energy on hoping for the alternative. The blow is already cushioned.

Yep. I've known this guy for over 20 years (we were "inlaws" at one point and are still in touch). Just like Iowa City has "Town Hawks", Ames has their local businessmen who are close to the program. He works with one. Could turn out to be rumor mill stuff, but he's shared things in the past (some of them not flattering to ISU) that were pretty accurate.

When you look at the resume of each program (and block out the fact that clones are well...clones) a kid would pick ISU.

Look at an 18 year old kid. In his lifetime who has had the better program? Playing for conference titles (even the tournament)? Success in the NCAAs? Players in the NBA?

Uh yeah....no box checked on our side.

All that didn't make him a fan of ISU. Do you really pick your favorite team's rival based on the fact that they have been mildly more successful since you were 10? If he picks ISU, my guess is he fits in better with the players there, which he probably only knows because of the time he spent there with a girl he was seeing.

Why is that? I wasn't on here saying not getting DJ Carton was a failure, because he didn't grow up a fan of the Hawks. Fran has been recruiting Xavier for 4 years, this isn't like Xavier developed late. Plus it isn't like he is going up against a Kansas or Duke or something, heck he isn't even going up against a Michigan or OSU for him. He was going up against that goober Steve freaking Prohm. It ain't like Prohm is pulling in 4* after 4*, he is getting lower rated 3* guys.

That said it ain't over til it's over, but if Xavier does go to ISU, you should be way more pissed off that you seem to be.
What does being a fan of Iowa mean? Is it being a diehard fan like you and I? Sure he had some family members who were Iowa fans, sure he probably got some Iowa gear for Christmas. The thing with younger people and our culture in general these days is they aren’t overly loyal to any one thing. I say this as a younger person. Look at the job market for instance. When XF went over to a friends house and they were cheering for Iowa State, did he cheer along? I’m certain you have no clue. We are Iowa fans that post on message board, but that doesn’t mean everyone is as hardcore as us.

In terms of recruitment there are so many more factors. Iowa has a long term relationship but so does Iowa State. How do I get along with the head coach? How do I get along with the assistant coaches? How are the facilities? How do I get along with the players? How do I fit on the projected roster? Which team will get me more exposure? Where are more of my friends going to school? Where is my girlfriend going to school? Which school is closer to home? Which school will I feel less pressure? Which conference is better for my style?

There are so so many factors that go into this, saying “he’s a fan of that school” is massive tunnel vision.

In this situation, he was dating a girl at the rival school so he spent an abnormal amount of time there. That's something Fran cant control. If Foster made bonds there stronger than the ones he had in Iowa, Fran can't control that either. Unless you think he should have spent the last 3 years building the roster based solely on who Foster might like better.

I think Fran has strengths when it comes to recruiting. He just hasn't shown the ability to close in that portion of the sales cycle which, of course, is the most important. I think what he lacks is his record of getting Iowa to a more notable & competitive level in the BIG and in the Tourney.

Some more notable years on the court would make him a more successful recruiter as it would most coaches.

Other things to consider for FM and recruiting:
The East side of the river, and expectations for student athletes.

Is Iowa b-ball’s recruiting budget still like 9-10 in the B1G? Could be wrong.

Fran does it to himself knowingly to a certain extent in that he will NOT poison the well of his program culture. I respect the hell out of the guy just for this.

I love the guys he has recruited since he has been here, makes it very easy to cheer for the Hawks knowing it will not be another sleazy college basketball program - and there are numerous.

In this situation, he was dating a girl at the rival school so he spent an abnormal amount of time there. That's something Fran cant control. If Foster made bonds there stronger than the ones he had in Iowa, Fran can't control that either. Unless you think he should have spent the last 3 years building the roster based solely on who Foster might like better.

What does being a fan of Iowa mean? Is it being a diehard fan like you and I? Sure he had some family members who were Iowa fans, sure he probably got some Iowa gear for Christmas. The thing with younger people and our culture in general these days is they aren’t overly loyal to any one thing. I say this as a younger person. Look at the job market for instance. When XF went over to a friends house and they were cheering for Iowa State, did he cheer along? I’m certain you have no clue. We are Iowa fans that post on message board, but that doesn’t mean everyone is as hardcore as us.

In terms of recruitment there are so many more factors. Iowa has a long term relationship but so does Iowa State. How do I get along with the head coach? How do I get along with the assistant coaches? How are the facilities? How do I get along with the players? How do I fit on the projected roster? Which team will get me more exposure? Where are more of my friends going to school? Where is my girlfriend going to school? Which school is closer to home? Which school will I feel less pressure? Which conference is better for my style?

There are so so many factors that go into this, saying “he’s a fan of that school” is massive tunnel vision.

Listen, you can't lose a recruiting battle to a dipshit like Prohm. I mean I get losing battles against Michigan and OSU and even ISU when Hoiberg was there. Yet Prohm ain't any of those coaches, he isn't even close. Prohm did ok with Hoiberg's players, but he ain't close to what Hoiberg is/was as a coach.

I think that firing a coach based on the recruitment success on one athlete is the dumbest post of the year.