Xavier Foster Announcement

Listen, you can't lose a recruiting battle to a dipshit like Prohm. I mean I get losing battles against Michigan and OSU and even ISU when Hoiberg was there. Yet Prohm ain't any of those coaches, he isn't even close. Prohm did ok with Hoiberg's players, but he ain't close to what Hoiberg is/was as a coach.

No offense but Prohm routinely beats better recruiters and coaches than Fran on the recruiting trail.

Having an established program should yield some benefits. Expectations in any job are higher once you've got a foothold and have your program built the way you want it. Year 9 could be year 8, 7 or 10. The point is...this far in, this is all he can get? (If X Foster chooses IOWA, that would of course change things).

Maybe the guys he's signed will surprise and outperform their "rankings", which happens. That would be great. Time will tell.

I disagree with your line of thinking in a couple of ways. For one, you say it changes things if Foster commits. We have 9 years of evidence on Fran's recruiting. One player doesn't change anything on how good Fran recruits. For two, you say they might out perform their rankings. If that happens, does that mean out of nowhere Fran was a good recruiter after all? Or did he develop them well? Or maybe he just got lucky with them.

In my opinion, after this long in the program, Fran has pretty much proven what he is as a coach and recruiter, regardless of one recruit or one class. It's possible he can string together a few good years and get the ball rolling to move up a notch, and it's possible he will get a little lazy with recruiting like Davis did and move down a notch, but as of right now, he's a consistent "one or two games from the bubble either direction, every year.

There is also the level of like like Joe Weiskamp. He wasn't going anywhere else. He took one unofficial visit to WI, got ISU and Iowa offers, got a UNI offer, and commited two years before he could sign. He wasn't going anywhere but Iowa at any point if we're being honest with ourselves. Foster, even if he is a fan of Iowa, he's not that kind of fan.

You're very possibly right. But if the program was still horrible, things may have been different. It's very possible that Fran having Iowa back to the level they are helped make it a no brainer for him.

I’ve been around Iowa b-ball longer than 90% of people on this board have been alive probably.. I’ve also followed the other in state school closely as well.

Prohm is still a relatively young coach.. Fact is that Prohm has a sweet 16 along with several big 12 tourbey titles (opinion or not these tourneys are not easy to win...see Iowa). Prohm been to 5? Ncaa tourbey in first 6 years at isu? Beaten more top 25 teams than 80% of P5 coaches (saw this put out by isu over summer on Twitter).. Prohm has more ncaa tourney wins at Murray State than Fran has at Iowa I believe.

He’s also put quite a few kids into the nba. Ofc he took over a program on its high note but also took over a very very tough job succeeding an isu legend with a lot of pressure to succeed. Prohm at isu has finished season ranked in top 25 three times thus far including twice in top 15..

Given all that I’d say Prohm has done better than just average. I love my hawks but I’m at an age where I take a step back and give credit where credit is due. Unlike isu fans with Iowa fball...

I’ve been around Iowa b-ball longer than 90% of people on this board have been alive probably.. I’ve also followed the other in state school closely as well.

Prohm is still a relatively young coach.. Fact is that Prohm has a sweet 16 along with several big 12 tourbey titles (opinion or not these tourneys are not easy to win...see Iowa). Prohm been to 5? Ncaa tourbey in first 6 years at isu? Beaten more top 25 teams than 80% of P5 coaches (saw this put out by isu over summer on Twitter).. Prohm has more ncaa tourney wins at Murray State than Fran has at Iowa I believe.

He’s also put quite a few kids into the nba. Ofc he took over a program on its high note but also took over a very very tough job succeeding an isu legend with a lot of pressure to succeed. Prohm at isu has finished season ranked in top 25 three times thus far including twice in top 15..

Given all that I’d say Prohm has done better than just average. I love my hawks but I’m at an age where I take a step back and give credit where credit is due. Unlike isu fans with Iowa fball...

Prohm is not a dipshit, that's for sure.

Look at an 18 year old kid. In his lifetime who has had the better program? Playing for conference titles (even the tournament)? Success in the NCAAs? Players in the NBA?

Uh yeah....no box checked on our side.

I am so torn on the conference tournament argument. On one hand, I totally respect ISU's remarkable success in the Big12 tourney. It shows that they peak at the right time and more importantly, that they come to play in meaningful (tournament) settings. But at the same time, it's such a lame thing for ISU fans to base their argument around. Where's the regular season success? Where's the NCAA tournament success?

No offense but Prohm routinely beats better recruiters and coaches than Fran on the recruiting trail.

Listen, I got it, Clone fans love slobbing the knob of their coaches and AD, but your faith if Prhom is sorely misplaced. You are going to look back in 5 years and Prohm is gonna remind you of Paul Rhoads, not Fred Hoiberg. Prohm has shown he can win with Fred's guys, but now with his own guys he aint gonna get it done. With a 5* recruit and 2 other guys on NBA rosters Stevie boy couldn't finish above .500 in the Big12 and couldn't get out of the 1st round. Overall Prohm is 13-23 in the Big12 with his own recruits. Get used to those results, cause that is what you are staring at when Stevie Boy has to coach his own players.

well said and is why Foster means so much to fran and his program in this moment in time.

I disagree with your line of thinking in a couple of ways. For one, you say it changes things if Foster commits. We have 9 years of evidence on Fran's recruiting. One player doesn't change anything on how good Fran recruits. For two, you say they might out perform their rankings. If that happens, does that mean out of nowhere Fran was a good recruiter after all? Or did he develop them well? Or maybe he just got lucky with them.

In my opinion, after this long in the program, Fran has pretty much proven what he is as a coach and recruiter, regardless of one recruit or one class. It's possible he can string together a few good years and get the ball rolling to move up a notch, and it's possible he will get a little lazy with recruiting like Davis did and move down a notch, but as of right now, he's a consistent "one or two games from the bubble either direction, every year.

Yeah, but landing Foster would obviously be a move in the up direction, he's considered a top recruit. It's also possible that recruits can outperform their high school rankings. (KFz has mastered finding the 2 or 3 star diamond in the rough).
To your point though...as Fran him self put it.. "body of work".

09142019_IOWA_MENS_BASKETBALL_TEAM_05.JPG

EHB7YpMW4AALlKt.jpg:large

9289020.jpg

Which program will Xavier feel is the best fit?

Someone I know in Ames says there's buzz that he told Prohm on his visit. The place where he works does a lot of biz with the athletic dept and coaches. He could be pulling my leg, but he's usually a pretty low key straight shooter.
So the kid told the coach but not his parents? Hmmmmm... I call BS on that. Not a diss on you, too many articles point to him being very close to his parents and would tell them out of respect before he said anything to a coach. Just my thoughts - for what its worth.

Last edited:
You're very possibly right. But if the program was still horrible, things may have been different. It's very possible that Fran having Iowa back to the level they are helped make it a no brainer for him.
I asked my guy and he has no idea, sounds like this one is being played really closed to the vest. Looking forward to a big Hawk win on Saturday and another on Monday(crosses fingers)!

So the kid told the coach but not his parents? Hmmmmm... I call BS on that. Not a diss on you, too many articles point to him being very close to his parents and would tell them out of respect before he said anything to a coach. Just my thoughts - for what its worth.

I'm sure they know which way he's leaning...regardless of what they say to reporters. As you said, they're a close family...which makes it hard to believe they don't discuss it. I'm sure the entire family is playing it close to the vest.

Well that pretty much seals it. Fran visited him to presumably make one last plea. When that didn’t work there was no reason for XF to be at the game tonight.

Listen, I got it, Clone fans love slobbing the knob of their coaches and AD, but your faith if Prhom is sorely misplaced. You are going to look back in 5 years and Prohm is gonna remind you of Paul Rhoads, not Fred Hoiberg. Prohm has shown he can win with Fred's guys, but now with his own guys he aint gonna get it done. With a 5* recruit and 2 other guys on NBA rosters Stevie boy couldn't finish above .500 in the Big12 and couldn't get out of the 1st round. Overall Prohm is 13-23 in the Big12 with his own recruits. Get used to those results, cause that is what you are staring at when Stevie Boy has to coach his own players.

What did I say that was false in that statement? I've got my doubts about Prohm, he's not perfect that's for sure.

Prohm's had two years without Fred's guys. He's had a historically bad year with a decimated roster and had a 6 seed in the tourney. If he can even that out it'll be good.

Latest posts