woodbury

Woody is only a sophomore...and it's starting to really click.

Expect big things his final 2 years. He's got the skills on both ends of the court.
Now, if he would just play more like a center... like Gabe.

Jumping higher and dunking are signs of more aggressiveness, but I'm more concerned if he's more aggressive as a center, which he hasn't shown (and why he plays less minutes).

Last edited:
1013832_578802422204680_365014173_n.jpg

Jumping higher and dunking are signs of more aggressiveness, but I'm more concerned if he's more aggressive as a center, which he hasn't shown (and why he plays less minutes).

This is incorrect. He calls for the ball and works hard at establishing position on the block. Iowa just stinks at feeding the post right now

hilarious that people bash woody for his shhh...but praise marble for "this is my ******* house".

hawkeye fans are silly

hilarious that people bash woody for his shhh...but praise marble for "this is my ******* house".

hawkeye fans are silly

While I agree with you in theory, it might have to do with the body of work and resume that the players have and where they are in their careers. I think Marble has earned it, while I feel that Woody still has a ways to go in terms of building the reputation to make that type of statement.

Not trying to be stupid, but I found Devyn's absolutely hillarious and love it, where as I saw Woody's in a different light. With Woody's the thought that "you're 7 foot and its about time" ran through my head. Nothing against the kid, but I'm not impressed by a 7 footer dunking. Do I think he should do it more often? Yes. Do I think he should he should hush the opposing team or crowd after doing so? No. That said when I see him dunk on somebody in the post off a drop step and get the flush and the foul called, he can do whatever he wants.

Yes we do, and why is that Jon ? Seems like we have a number of guys who could score down low if we could get them the ball in the right places. Surprised MG is not great at that
This is incorrect. He calls for the ball and works hard at establishing position on the block. Iowa just stinks at feeding the post right now

While I agree with you in theory, it might have to do with the body of work and resume that the players have and where they are in their careers. I think Marble has earned it, while I feel that Woody still has a ways to go in terms of building the reputation to make that type of statement.

Not trying to be stupid, but I found Devyn's absolutely hillarious and love it, where as I saw Woody's in a different light. With Woody's the thought that "you're 7 foot and its about time" ran through my head. Nothing against the kid, but I'm not impressed by a 7 footer dunking. Do I think he should do it more often? Yes. Do I think he should he should hush the opposing team or crowd after doing so? No. That said when I see him dunk on somebody in the post off a drop step and get the flush and the foul called, he can do whatever he wants.

This

The dunking complaints were so ludicrously hilarious, or hilariously ludicrous, whichever you prefer, that this became my favorite moment during the season. By far. Using the glass to make difficult shots is hard, and that's what Woody has done at a sickeningly high percentage for a sophomore big man. What he did the other day was say, "Here it is. Shut up. Let's play ball now." I wish he had a sign that says, 'Do you see all these scared Michigan players after that dunk?!' That's why people wanted the dunking. Not because it helped develop his game (the post moves off the glass do) but because it supposedly scares opponents.

It doesn't.

The dunking complaints were so ludicrously hilarious, or hilariously ludicrous, whichever you prefer, that this became my favorite moment during the season. By far. Using the glass to make difficult shots is hard, and that's what Woody has done at a sickeningly high percentage for a sophomore big man. What he did the other day was say, "Here it is. Shut up. Let's play ball now." I wish he had a sign that says, 'Do you see all these scared Michigan players after that dunk?!' That's why people wanted the dunking. Not because it helped develop his game (the post moves off the glass do) but because it supposedly scares opponents.

It doesn't.

I couldn't agree with you more. I get that in your opinion the dunk complaining is hillarious, but in my opinion, for a 7 footer, it should be a higher percentage shot then using the glass or laying it in. So we'll agree to disagree.

The other part I disagree with you on is it has nothing to do with "scaring the opponent", because I'm pretty sure most teams again expect 7 footers to be able to dunk consistently, so its not that scary of a thing. What it does is energize your own team. I'm not saying that I don't appreciate Woody, but the fact is there is a great deal of difference between a teams emotional response to a dunk vs. a layup. I'd be willing to bet that anybody that played along side of Doug Thomas would agree. Like it or not, dunking brings excitement to a gym and can also silence a home team. Unfortunately not the same can be said about a lay up.

Here is the deal...Woody dunks when it is the sure thing. When it is not, he lays it in. He is trying to maximize the number of points Iowa scores...nothing more, nothing less. I admire him for it. He is a winner, who is not willing to trade a missed dunk that is flashy, for a made basket laying it in. Smart player...smarter than many fans.

Jumping higher and dunking are signs of jumping ability. Fighting for position and rebounds are signs of aggressivness.

Here is the deal...Woody dunks when it is the sure thing. When it is not, he lays it in. He is trying to maximize the number of points Iowa scores...nothing more, nothing less. I admire him for it. He is a winner, who is not willing to trade a missed dunk that is flashy, for a made basket laying it in. Smart player...smarter than many fans.
The problem is that a dunk is a much higher percentage shot then a layup as we have all seen 20 missed lay ups for every missed dunk, especially for a 7 footer. It's shocking when a young man at that height needs a running start. The flashy dunk is a bonus, the "sure" 2 points in the real value. "Finish at the rim, please".
go Hawks!

I guess I'll say it again. Fran should run some 4 out 1 in to give Woody some space to work his defender and use his post moves. I'm not saying run it a ton but just enough to give the defense something new to defend and maybe help stop those long scoring droughts. Heck run it with White a couple times to get him going as well. If the defense collapses on them then there are 4 guys to kick the ball out to.

The problem is that a dunk is a much higher percentage shot then a layup as we have all seen 20 missed lay ups for every missed dunk, especially for a 7 footer. It's shocking when a young man at that height needs a running start. The flashy dunk is a bonus, the "sure" 2 points in the real value. "Finish at the rim, please".
go Hawks!

If Woody tried to dunk every time he got the ball under the basket, you would see a high percentage of missed dunks. If people want to complain that he needs to work harder to improve his vertical then that's one thing. But complaining that a guy who can't dunk very well doesn't dunk enough is pretty dumb.

I guess I'll say it again. Fran should run some 4 out 1 in to give Woody some space to work his defender and use his post moves. I'm not saying run it a ton but just enough to give the defense something new to defend and maybe help stop those long scoring droughts. Heck run it with White a couple times to get him going as well. If the defense collapses on them then there are 4 guys to kick the ball out to.

I don't think a 4 in 1 out wouldn't do any favors for a team that isn't a great 3 pt shooting team or a team that is good with the dribble drive. All to get looks for a guy who at this point in his career is a marginal scorer.

Latest posts