Woodbury gets UNC offer

Why did he wait until now to offer? Will the UNC coach hold the offer if AW doesn't jump on it right away?

http://thegazette.com/2011/08/08/q-a-with-adam-woodbury-iowa-is-definitely-in-the-mix/

Great quotes by Woodbury.
Almost as if he is honored by the offer, but that's it.

Has Iowa ever landed a player that had a UNC offer?

http://thegazette.com/2011/08/08/q-a-with-adam-woodbury-iowa-is-definitely-in-the-mix/

Great quotes by Woodbury.
Almost as if he is honored by the offer, but that's it.

Has Iowa ever landed a player that had a UNC offer?

I believe Wade Lookingbill, but it may have been Duke.

that Basterd has made his career off Iowa players. Let's hope a Iowa kid will finally say no that piece of sh$t.

I'm not one to be overly optimistic about Iowa basketball lately, but I really feel good about Woodbury. The UNC offer coming today leads me to believe Roy feels like Iowa is a real threat to land Adam now. Woodbury has always been UNC's back up plan and Roy was going to hold off pulling the trigger on offering him until he thought he had to. I think Fran has done everything he could to be in a position to land him.

I'm not one to be overly optimistic about Iowa basketball lately, but I really feel good about Woodbury. The UNC offer coming today leads me to believe Roy feels like Iowa is a real threat to land Adam now. Woodbury has always been UNC's back up plan and Roy was going to hold off pulling the trigger on offering him until he thought he had to. I think Fran has done everything he could to be in a position to land him.

This is how I feel, as well. I think Woodbury was going to get an offer before it was all said and done, but the timing is what's significant. Without any personal involvement with either Woodbury or the program, I just have a gut feeling that Williams has waited too long.

I have to hope the distance will be a negative factor for UNC. Adam is from a tight family and there is no way they get to see him play in person much down in UNC. At Iowa,they can carpool with the Gesell's maybe and see most of his games....which would be such a thrill for any lifelong Iowa fans...your son in black and gold..could it be any better?

One thing about Adam becoming a Hawk is that he will be a Hawkeye Hero forever, having earned the respect and gratitude of the State of Iowa, for being true to his lifelong loyalty to the Hawks, along with his parents, and being the first top recruit from the State to say NO to Williams, turning the trend around finally, and opening a door for State recruits to stay home.

If he does go to NC to play for that sleezeball Williams, he will be just another player off the bench, and remembered only for that. Adam Woodbury, oh yeah, he used to play for NC, he did OK off the bench, had some good games, but he was no Jordan. That is how he will be remembered if he goes to Tarheel country and plays for that gosh-darn hick, Williams.

Stay home where you will be appreciated and loved for ages at Iowa, Adam, and give your parents a chance to live their dream and yours.

Last edited:
I don't get too caught up in the recruiting exploits of 17 year olds but for some reason I have a feeling Woodbury comes to Iowa to join Gesell ... Yes, adding NCarolina in the mix is going to peak the interest of any kid ... But I still think he comes to Iowa ...

I don't think when Roy was hired at KU or UNC he put on the white board "must lock down Iowa talent" as a strategic objective. KU, UNC and Duke offer and get kids from all over the country because they are elite programs. Woodbury happens to live in Iowa and be a big time prospect. The past is the past and we need to let Collison, Hinrich and LaFrentz go. No doubt it is maddening to see kids like Barnes and Paige leave the state, but it's not like it was down to Iowa and UNC for either. Highly unlikely either gave Iowa a second thought based on the turmoil the program has been going through.

Landing Woodbury would be huge, but it's not the end of the world if we don't.

I don't think when Roy was hired at KU or UNC he put on the white board "must lock down Iowa talent" as a strategic objective. KU, UNC and Duke offer and get kids from all over the country because they are elite programs. Woodbury happens to live in Iowa and be a big time prospect. The past is the past and we need to let Collison, Hinrich and LaFrentz go. No doubt it is maddening to see kids like Barnes and Paige leave the state, but it's not like it was down to Iowa and UNC for either. Highly unlikely either gave Iowa a second thought based on the turmoil the program has been going through.

Landing Woodbury would be huge, but it's not the end of the world if we don't.

Perhaps that's not how he started out, but once he started landing seemingly all of the elite talent, I'm sure that's a well that he would like to enjoy continued private ownership of. He's got a rep in this state, particularly. Everyone knows about Hinrich, Collison, LaFrentz, Barnes. And it seems that once he comes calling, it's over. Not that Iowa is an elite hotbed for talent, but we've had a pretty strong run the past 10 years or so. And I'm sure he'd like to keep it to where he gets any kid in Iowa that he wants. If Woodbury commits to the Hawks, and the table starts tilting in favor of Iowa and ISU, then Roy has a tougher time getting the guys he wants from Iowa.

Anytime you completely own a state, you don't want to lose that ownership.

I blame Kirk Hinrich and NicK Collison, once Ol' Roy found out Iowa kids are really good he hasnt stopped raiding our state, besides the Hawkeyes my other favorite team is whoever is playing NC that night!

I blame Kirk Hinrich and NicK Collison, once Ol' Roy found out Iowa kids are really good he hasnt stopped raiding our state, besides the Hawkeyes my other favorite team is whoever is playing NC that night!

Actually wasn't Lafrenz the one who got the ball rolling for Roy?

Latest posts