Woodbury gets UNC offer

One correction to the article above:
Gesell and Woodbury are AAU teammates, not high school teammates.
Edit: I see the actual article has edited that mistake now.

Folks, he ain't coming to Iowa now. ROY= ruin our year.

You do remember that Iowa just landed one of the top point guards in the country today? Iowa basketball will still exist with or without Woodbury. He did grow up as a Hawkeye fan with his family. Fran seems like a pretty good salesman so let's not give up on this just yet.

There is no basis for my comment other than just my gut feeling....I think we end up landing Woodbury and getting a commit over UNC will ring very loud for Iowa.

You do remember that Iowa just landed one of the top point guards in the country today? Iowa basketball will still exist with or without Woodbury. He did grow up as a Hawkeye fan with his family. Fran seems like a pretty good salesman so let's not give up on this just yet.

Gessell had offers from Nebraska, Creighton and Stanford. Not exactly UNC level.

The timing of ths is very strange. If Fran can reel in Woodbury, this would be HUGE for Iowa basketball. I still believe he can do it, Fran has been in on him since the beginning folks.

What a nasty p**** Williams is, biggest basketball news for Iowa and Fran in quite a while, and he has to offer Woodbury today. I am really starting to despise Roy and his aw shucks act. I really hope Adam breaks the trend of Williams getting every top recruit in the State from LaFrentz through Paige. This is getting very old. As has been said, if Adam wants to start immediately for four years, come to Iowa and jump on the turnaround Fran has going, or ride the pine for Williams. Jerk couldn't wait until tomorrow, had to offer today. Wonder why he has such hatred for Iowa, could it be because he has never beaten Iowa, even at Kansas. Still a very good day, Gesell is huge for the program. Be very nice for Adam to reward Fran and the Hawks for their belief in him from the start, long before making waves this Summer on the AAU circuit. Sometimes that is the deciding factor, going with those who saw the potential and were there from the beginning. We shall see.

:)

I have feeling Kansas comes with an offer now. Roy just started a rolling ball and recruiting battle.

Kansas isn't likely to come calling. Last I'd heard, they were sitting very well with a couple of center prospects that are rated higher than Woodbury. UNC was as well, but this offer seems to be more reactionary to the Gesell commitment than anything else. I don't think it's a testament to how well/poorly UNC is sitting with their other prospects.

Kansas isn't likely to come calling. Last I'd heard, they were sitting very well with a couple of center prospects that are rated higher than Woodbury. UNC was as well, but this offer seems to be more reactionary to the Gesell commitment than anything else. I don't think it's a testament to how well/poorly UNC is sitting with their other prospects.

Good info. Thanks tm!

Pat Harty references Gesell being Woodbury's teammate at East. Unless something has changed, I was under the impression that Gesell went to South Sioux City for high school last year, in Nebraska, and will do so again this year.

Am I missing something?

You are right on Kansas. They are sitting really well with a top 15 prospect. UNC, however is not. This offer was coming ever since they missed on a couple other top guys.

You are right on Kansas. They are sitting really well with a top 15 prospect. UNC, however is not. This offer was coming ever since they missed on a couple other top guys.
This is true, however UNC has a lot of offers out right now to top-flight bigs.

How deep would he be on the depth chart at UNC 4? They have centers already and are going to get a more highly ranked one this class. How much dies AW want to play?

Congrats to Woodbury for getting a UNC offer. It's a bummer for us - a UNC offer is hard to pass on. It's a great thing for Adam, though.

I have to admit, though, that this offer does make me curious. Especially the timing...

My guess is Roy wanted to stop the dominoes from falling.
I agree 100%. It was calculated. Roy knew he had to make a move to keep Woodbury interested. I feel, its too late. I think we get Woodbury. Others will follow.

Latest posts