Wieskamp - Larry Bird

More bizarre than funny.

It's like if i were to say "Jok's jump shot reminds me of Michael Jordan", then someone responds and says Jordan is the greatest player of all time and I cant compare them. Well first off, I compared the look of their jump shot, not their overall basketball ability. And second off, even if i was comparing their shot, Jok is a better shooter than Jordan ever was so the comparison would actually be an insult to Jok. Some people need to have better comprehension when reading comparisons.

It's like if i were to say "Jok's jump shot reminds me of Michael Jordan", then someone responds and says Jordan is the greatest player of all time and I cant compare them. Well first off, I compared the look of their jump shot, not their overall basketball ability. And second off, even if i was comparing their shot, Jok is a better shooter than Jordan ever was so the comparison would actually be an insult to Jok. Some people need to have better comprehension when reading comparisons.
Concur, no, there won't ever be another Bird, or Jordan, or Magic, or Nick Baer, or Chris Kingsbury, or Woodbury, but they are similar to many other players and people.

People are so sensitive, like when I told my wife, "Honey, at times you remind me of my long time girlfriend from high school." gosh, it was meant a compliment!

It's funny that some people thing "reminds me of" means "has exactly the same skill level".

I have always been amused by that. We don't say someone reminds us of some NBA 5-year 12th man, because nobody would recognize the comp. We compare to someone that other people will recognize.

That said, I don't think Wieskamp's game bares many similarities to Bird's game, aside from them both being good shooters. Frankly, I cannot think of many players whose game is similar to Bird's (not just from a talent standpoint, but a style standpoint). The floor sense, creativity, mental toughness, etc.. He wasn't a great leaper, but he could get up and down the court very well for a guy his size. Maybe Danny Manning pre-injury? Paul Pierce if he was a bit bigger?

I have always been amused by that. We don't say someone reminds us of some NBA 5-year 12th man, because nobody would recognize the comp. We compare to someone that other people will recognize.

That said, I don't think Wieskamp's game bares many similarities to Bird's game, aside from them both being good shooters. Frankly, I cannot think of many players whose game is similar to Bird's (not just from a talent standpoint, but a style standpoint). The floor sense, creativity, mental toughness, etc.. He wasn't a great leaper, but he could get up and down the court very well for a guy his size. Maybe Danny Manning pre-injury? Paul Pierce if he was a bit bigger?
From the limited times I have seen Wieskamp and never in person, Bird didn't come to my mind as a comparison. Bird had a lot of gifts and some limitations, his strength in my view was always his hard core competitive nature. That aspect of his game reminds of...well, somebody.

A big Badger Fan friend of mine sent me a text last night during the first half of the Iowa game. He said that Wieskamp reminds him of a young Larry Bird. Hadn't thought of that one. Would be nice!
Wow, I don't see that at all, Larry is 6'9 and could bang inside with the big boys. Larry's vision was amazing one of the greatest passing forwards in college or pro history. Wieskamp is a small forward/ big guard, smooth stroke like Lary but he isn't gonna bang inside. Wisecamp is a great rebounder for his size though. I think Wieskamp is more a young Chris Mullan.

Wow, I don't see that at all, Larry is 6'9 and could bang inside with the big boys. Larry's vision was amazing one of the greatest passing forwards in college or pro history. Wieskamp is a small forward/ big guard, smooth stroke like Lary but he isn't gonna bang inside. Wisecamp is a great rebounder for his size though. I think Wieskamp is more a young Chris Mullan.
I can see that comparison.

Bobby Hansen?

I don't think anybody is suggesting that Weiskamp is "the next Larry Bird". The point is, his game reminds people of Bird.

On an interesting side note, Bird was drafted 6th in 1978. Can anybody name the guys taken ahead of him. (#1 one is fairly obvious...came out of the Big Ten)

He was picked 6th in the draft in 1978 by the Celtics. This was after his junior season and he had not declared for the draft. He ended up returning to Indiana St and playing his senior year and then signing with them after the NCAA title game and before the 1979 NBA draft. Auerbach found a way around the rules of the time; although it wasn't prohibited, it hadn't been done before (or since, for that matter). The reason he went 6th overall is because no one thought to draft a junior who hadn't declared for the draft. I believe they changed the rules after that stating that the player had to declare for the draft in order to be drafted.

Sign of the times. Comprehension, the ability to grasp nuance and various linguistic and literary techniques has been in decline for some time. But hey...kids can tell you everything that's wrong with capitalism and regurgitate numerous cultural talking points they've had pounding into their skulls.

To paraphrase KFz, "That's education" <snort>

Last edited:
I’ve been literally lol’ing at this thread now for a few days. Amazed how some can actually become butthurt over a simple comparison. I knew right away that the Becky Vadger fan wasn’t saying Joe is the next Larry Bird but that Joe reminded him of Bird because of some similarities. Hell, let’s end this right now.....Bird couldn’t sniff Joe’s jock strap!

I’ve been literally lol’ing at this thread now for a few days. Amazed how some can actually become butthurt over a simple comparison. I knew right away that the Becky Vadger fan wasn’t saying Joe is the next Larry Bird but that Joe reminded him of Bird because of some similarities. Hell, let’s end this right now.....Bird couldn’t sniff Joe’s jock strap!
This thread is difficult to figure it out, it reminds me of...