SOS was weak in MVC

Wieskamp:

51% FG

73% FT

5 RB

1 AST

12 PPG

SOS pretty decent for deep Big Ten

Larry was at Indiana his freshman year and left because he thought the campus and school were too big. So those are his sophomore stats. I have to think Weiskamp will average 18 next year with the way he shoots and the fact that he's going to be alot stronger off the dribble. Not Larry Legend stuff, but he's never going to get 24 shots a game either like Larry did. You have to put that in perspective...24 shots a game on average. The Legend is also the best passer I've ever seen...maybe him and Magic are even...but Larry saw the floor like few other people ever have.

Last edited:
Larry was at Indiana his freshman year and left because he thought the campus and school were too big. So those are his sophomore stats. I have to think Weiskamp will average 18 next year with the way he shoots and the fact that he's going to be alot stronger off the dribble. Not Larry Legend stuff, but he's never going to get 24 shots a game either like Larry did. You have to put that in perspective...24 shots a game on average. The Legend is also the best passer I've ever seen...maybe him and Magic are even...but Larry saw the floor like few other people ever have.
Thanks for the clarification. I was wondering about the fact that he only had 3 years of stats at Indiana State. Did he play at Indiana? Yes, he was fun to watch, especially the passing, great vision and smarts.

Thanks for the clarification. I was wondering about the fact that he only had 3 years of stats at Indiana State. Did he play at Indiana? Yes, he was fun to watch, especially the passing, great vision and smarts.
He left Indiana before his freshman season started and thus missed out on being a member of their undefeated 1976 NCAA championship team, as well as playing for Bobby Knight.

Eeeeeasy there tiger.
Let's tap the brakes a bit on this and let the kid finish his first year of college ball.
Joe Smooth has the potential to become a Hawkeye great... everyone agrees I think on that.
Larry Legend, on the far other-hand is on most people's Mount Rushmore of the 5-Best players to ever walk this earth.
While fun to think about it, honestly it's not fair to put that on Joe, even if it's just meaningless online conversation.

Why are so many people telling some Wisconsin fan that they don't even know to pump their breaks on Wieskamp comparisons?

Some of you may remember when Roy Marble after his freshman year was drawing comparisons to Michael Jordon. Marble ended up being an all time Iowa great but come on!

Who knows how much pressure that put on him in his college career.

I don't think anybody is suggesting that Weiskamp is "the next Larry Bird". The point is, his game reminds people of Bird.

On an interesting side note, Bird was drafted 6th in 1978. Can anybody name the guys taken ahead of him. (#1 one is fairly obvious...came out of the Big Ten)

Last edited:
I don't think anybody is suggesting the Weiskamp is "the next Larry Bird". The point is, his game reminds people of Bird.

On an interesting side note, Bird was drafted 6th in 1978. Can anybody name the guys taken ahead of him. (#1 one is fairly obvious...came out of the Big Ten)
One of them has to be Elizabeth Warren!

I don't think anybody is suggesting the Weiskamp is "the next Larry Bird". The point is, his game reminds people of Bird.

Wasn't it Minnesota''s Mychal Thompson?

It wasn't Magic. Not in 1978. When Red Auerbach drafted Bird it was after Bird's junior year, and some rule existed back then that allowed the team to retain the rights to a player even if he returned to college for his senior year. I don't think the rule lasted much longer and wasnt implemented very often anyway because few NBA general managers had Red Auerbach's stones.

I don't ever recall reading or hearing that Fran is the worst coach in division 1 BB. Did I miss something?

I shared that a Badger fan made a comment about Wieskamp and Bird, comparing them as a compliment. Annotated?

Interesting comments.

You shared something that made no sense.

If someone said moss reminded them of ray allen and i shared it, id expect to be called out.

Joe has a great skill set, his high release point is a big asset. Like some have said he could be better uthoff, who was big for hawkeyes. Hes could make a 1st team all big ten but .... larry bird com'on!

You shared something that made no sense.

If someone said moss reminded them of ray allen and i shared it, id expect to be called out.

Jordan has a great skill set, his high release point is a big asset. Like some have said he could be better uthoff, who was big for hawkeyes. Hes could make a 1st team all big ten but .... larry bird com'on!
Are you talking about Jordan or Joe?

I would think if someone would make a comment about any player comparison and it would be allowable. Why would one need to be "called out" on an observation?

Lots of hall of fame players would call to mind current players in the way of play, mannerisms, etc,?

Confused x2

Around the basket Joe has moves that do remind me of Bird

It is a bit too early to actually compare him to Larry Bird, one of the Legends along with Jordan and Magic. Those were the glory days of Professional Basketball

I do believe that Joe is on the way to becoming a Hawkeye legend. He is a major part of the improvement this season, offensively and defensively. Joe is the Goods.....

Bird was, as has been mentioned, the best trash talker in the history of the NBA. He would infuriate the competition because he always backed up his trash talking. He would tell them what he was going to do and they could not stop him.....

There was a NYT Sunday Magazine devoted to The Trash Talking Bird.....

You know the Word

Your title is wieskamp - larry bird.

If you want to mentioned something about their shooting technique okay, but essentially agreeing with the comment and then trying to say its not your opinion is weak.

Everyone agrees hes gonna be good (already is) but to legitimately compare their game overall is no sense.
Around the basket Joe has moves that do remind me of Bird

It is a bit too early to actually compare him to Larry Bird, one of the Legends along with Jordan and Magic. Those were the glory days of Professional Basketball

I do believe that Joe is on the way to becoming a Hawkeye legend. He is a major part of the improvement this season, offensively and defensively. Joe is the Goods.....

Bird was, as has been mentioned, the best trash talker in the history of the NBA. He would infuriate the competition because he always backed up his trash talking. He would tell them what he was going to do and they could not stop him.....

There was a NYT Sunday Magazine devoted to The Trash Talking Bird.....

You know the Word

Yea i guess i came out harsh but i kinda hate these hyper comparisons. Joe could be on the way of being an all time great. Just hate the title of this post haha.

If you want to mentioned something about their shooting technique okay, but essentially agreeing with the comment and then trying to say its not your opinion is weak.

Everyone agrees hes gonna be good (already is) but to legitimately compare their game overall is no sense..
Dead on.

Everyone agrees hes gonna be good (already is) but to legitimately compare their game overall is no sense.

Yea i guess i came out harsh but i kinda hate these hyper comparisons. Joe could be on the way of being an all time great. Just hate the title of this post haha.
Glad you are feeling better!