Wieskamp - Larry Bird

This thread is difficult to figure it out, it reminds me of...

salesman.png

Actually for a Freshman in 80 he wasn't bad at it at all. He was better as a point than the past several at Iowa as a point guard.
It's amazing that Hansen got drafted in the first place, let alone last nine years and get a championship ring. He also suffered a career threatening broken jaw midway through, courtesy of Bart Kofoed, his own teammate.

Anyway, Utah coach and GM Frank Layden spotted him while scouting another conference player (widely believed to be Indiana's Randy Wittman). Hansen was a good, not great college player by his senior year, similiar to perhaps Northwestern's Jon Schuyer from a few years ago. Maybe Illinois' Richard Keene. But he had what Layden needed. Someone who could play the ying to Darrell Griffith's yang for a few minutes a night. Hansen played within his abilities, made the hustle plays, gradually extended his range to the three point line, and in time Griffith could no longer stay healthy. Hansen took his starting spot, got some all defensive team votes, and was an internal part of those late eighties Jazz teams that gave the Lakers and Rockets fits in the playoffs. He ended his solid NBA career by getting picked up by the Bulls during his final year and exiting stage championship. Michael Jordan credited Hansen for making Jordan work hard in practice every day.

He was picked 6th in the draft in 1978 by the Celtics. This was after his junior season and he had not declared for the draft. He ended up returning to Indiana St and playing his senior year and then signing with them after the NCAA title game and before the 1979 NBA draft. Auerbach found a way around the rules of the time; although it wasn't prohibited, it hadn't been done before (or since, for that matter). The reason he went 6th overall is because no one thought to draft a junior who hadn't declared for the draft. I believe they changed the rules after that stating that the player had to declare for the draft in order to be drafted.
While Red waited for Bird, his team crashed and burned to 29-53 or something like that. At that 1978 season's nadir, Auerbach went as far as to sign recently reinstated Kermit Washington, back from serving his Rudy T suspension. Once Bird came on board, things changed quickly. Red shipped Bob McAdoo to the Pistons (fleecing a coach/GM by the name of Dick Vitale) for two first round draft picks. He traded one of those picks to Golden State for their first rounder and Robert Parish. The acquired first rounder became Kevin McHale. The rest was history. The Pistons and Warriors floundered for years. Dick Vitale soon became an ex-coach and announcer for some new cable station called ESPN. The rest of that was history as well.

While Red waited for Bird, his team crashed and burned to 29-53 or something like that. At that 1978 season's nadir, Auerbach went as far as to sign recently reinstated Kermit Washington, back from serving his Rudy T suspension. Once Bird came on board, things changed quickly. Red shipped Bob McAdoo to the Pistons (fleecing a coach/GM by the name of Dick Vitale) for two first round draft picks. He traded one of those picks to Golden State for their first rounder and Robert Parish. The acquired first rounder became Kevin McHale. The rest was history. The Pistons and Warriors floundered for years. Dick Vitale soon became an ex-coach and announcer for some new cable station called ESPN. The rest of that was history as well.
I am not trying to be a name dropper and I am not a high roller by any stretch, but my wife and I were in Hawaii perhaps 15 years ago and one night we decided to splurge, go to an outstanding, highly rated, restaurant along the ocean in Kauai. We were talking to waitress a bit and she explained how many well known, famous people, come to the restaurant, especially in the off season of the NBA, NFL, Hollywood, etc. etc. I asked her which one, in her opinion, was the nicest of the bunch. She said without a doubt it was Dick Vitale. He had been there a few times, mostly with his wife and daughters and the waitress said he was very appreciate, quiet and humble, just a gentleman. She loved waiting on the family and did it more than once. Quiet, humble, kind doesn't come to mind with Dick. Maybe he made some bad trades but it seems he is getting the important aspects of life in line. She said there were plenty of pricks too, but didn't tell me who :)

It's amazing that Hansen got drafted in the first place, let alone last nine years and get a championship ring. He also suffered a career threatening broken jaw midway through, courtesy of Bart Kofoed, his own teammate.

Anyway, Utah coach and GM Frank Layden spotted him while scouting another conference player (widely believed to be Indiana's Randy Wittman). Hansen was a good, not great college player by his senior year, similiar to perhaps Northwestern's Jon Schuyer from a few years ago. Maybe Illinois' Richard Keene. But he had what Layden needed. Someone who could play the ying to Darrell Griffith's yang for a few minutes a night. Hansen played within his abilities, made the hustle plays, gradually extended his range to the three point line, and in time Griffith could no longer stay healthy. Hansen took his starting spot, got some all defensive team votes, and was an internal part of those late eighties Jazz teams that gave the Lakers and Rockets fits in the playoffs. He ended his solid NBA career by getting picked up by the Bulls during his final year and exiting stage championship. Michael Jordan credited Hansen for making Jordan work hard in practice every day.

Bobby was a better ball handler than Keene. Richard Keene had better hair. Otherwise pretty spot on. :)

Gees... so much serious analysis... how about we just say thanks for the compliment and move on? LOL

Good point. I don't get the comp other than the obvious. JW has a rainbow jumper now people see Larry Bird? I don't get it, but it is not for me to get. People see similarities and that's cool......Don't over think it and keep it moving.

I am not trying to be a name dropper and I am not a high roller by any stretch, but my wife and I were in Hawaii perhaps 15 years ago and one night we decided to splurge, go to an outstanding, highly rated, restaurant along the ocean in Kauai. We were talking to waitress a bit and she explained how many well known, famous people, come to the restaurant, especially in the off season of the NBA, NFL, Hollywood, etc. etc. I asked her which one, in her opinion, was the nicest of the bunch. She said without a doubt it was Dick Vitale. He had been there a few times, mostly with his wife and daughters and the waitress said he was very appreciate, quiet and humble, just a gentleman. She loved waiting on the family and did it more than once. Quiet, humble, kind doesn't come to mind with Dick. Maybe he made some bad trades but it seems he is getting the important aspects of life in line. She said there were plenty of pricks too, but didn't tell me who :)
I had a close encounter with Vitale once, at Carver in the late eighties. I was standing about twenty, thirty feet away from him, he was trying to do pregame prep, and people kept coming up to him wanting to shake his hand, get a picture, etc. Vitale, who was trying to get broadcast prep done fifteen minutes before a big game, had time for every single one of them.

He is a tireless worker for many causes, none the least of which of course is the V foundation. Get beyond the bombast and he didn't have to get any aspects of his life in line. They already were a long time ago.

Parish and McHale came in Bird's second year. The guys who played most of the minutes didn't change except insert Bird for McAdoo (who was a very good player in his own right). The point was still Nate "Tiny" Archibald, the other forward was still Cedric "Cornbread" Maxwell, Rick Robey and Dave Cowens split time at center. The other huge difference was to get Bill Fitch (from Cedar Rapids, Coe alumnus) to coach them. And they won 32 more games.

Parish and McHale came in Bird's second year. The guys who played most of the minutes didn't change except insert Bird for McAdoo (who was a very good player in his own right). The point was still Nate "Tiny" Archibald, the other forward was still Cedric "Cornbread" Maxwell, Rick Robey and Dave Cowens split time at center. The other huge difference was to get Bill Fitch (from Cedar Rapids, Coe alumnus) to coach them. And they won 32 more games.
All correct observations. I should have made it clear that Parish and McHale didn't arrive until Bird's second year. Not coincidentally, a championship did as well.

One of the players you mentioned who came up huge in the 1981 postseason was Maxwell, a tremendously underrated player who consistently delivered in big games.

Longtime NFL coach Marv Levy, who is literally about 93 years old, is also a Coe alumnus.

Last edited:
There's just something about him that tells me he's gonna have back problems later in life.
Curiously and ultimately, it was a back injury that brought Bird's career to an end. For some players, it seems like that injury isn't a matter of "if", but rather "when" and "how extensive". It worries me we are already having this conversation about Wieskamp. Yes, I know from experience what a college back injury can do.

Hope it heals and strengthens for him and for Iowa's chances to do something special this year.

Back injuries are always tough to diagnose and treat. Lots of unknowns.

Hope it heals and strengthens for him and for Iowa's chances to do something special this year.

Back injuries are always tough to diagnose and treat. Lots of unknowns.
Among others, Wade Lookingbill and of course Jess Settles had their careers detoured by back injuries.

It's probably something he going to have to deal with day to day.
He won't get what it needs most, rest, until the season is over.