We have to think bigger than ISU, UNI, and Drake

Answer this.. why would those teams want to play a home and home with Iowa?

Edit.. and why are isu drake and uni scared to death of losing iowa? I guarantee you, you think everything runs through iowa city dont you?

Last edited:
Right now, a Big Ten team with a very good tradition that has been down. We would be an attractive opponent and I would expect even more so 1-2 years from now.

In response to agcy68:

HaydenHawk56,
I think your reasons for dropping ISU, UNI, Drake are as follows:
1. UofI is the better program in the state and shouldn't play teams that can use them to justify their existance. UNI (recently) and ISU (since about 1985) are on par with UofI (if you don't believe this, then prove me wrong). Those schools don't need UofI to justify their existance.

Answer I don't want to give them any extra help on our way re-establishing ourselves as the top dog. We can do better scheduling national opponents. Sure you do, or you would not care if we were playing or not.

2. UofI draws a national audience for their games. Um, as many of your bretheren here have said: No, they don't.

Sure they do....when they play on ESPN at least regional with the Big Ten Network. I want to play more on ESPN.....not the Cyclone Network. We can do better.

3. Playing Duke, UNC, etc. would enhance UofI's reputation.
A. I don't think those schools are willing to play a home and home with UofI.

Why not....we are a Big Ten school......and it does not necessarily have to be Duke or North Carolina. Like someone mentioned it could be UCLA, UNLV, Florida, etc. We can do better than ISU, UNI, and Drake in future scheduling.

B. Getting blown out by those schools would only solidify UofI's current reputation as an also ran school currently in the bottom 1/3 of DI BCS basketball programs.

Right now we would lose big, but I don't think 2 years from now. We can do better.

4. If UofiI didn't play ISU, UNI, and Drake, they could schedule better teams. Why do they need to drop these three to get those? When (IF) UofI re-establishes themselves as the best team in the state, you get three automatic wins AND you can add a few national programs to the slate. You don't have to trade one for the other.

Who cares about playing ISU, UNI, and Drake (only people stuck on tradition and the other schools needing us for their Superbowl). Boring, we can do better for future scheduling.

5. The ISU/UNI/Drake games only garner attention in Iowa. How wide was the coverage of the other UofI basketball games?

Exactly.....the ISU/UNI/Drake games only garner attention in Iowa. We can do better.

Have I missed anything?

Yes. Who cares about ISU, UNI and Drake? I care about the University of Iowa and rebuilding this program and upgrading scheduling. Let those schools play each other. We have to take the high road and do what is best for us on a national scale and stop being stuck in micro traditions. We can do better.

Is that really your logic? If so, it is flawed. Without a logical arguement, your reasoning is emotional and sounds like you just can't accept losing to other (equally talented) teams in the state. You want to eliminate those games so that you can hold onto the outdated opinion that UofI is the best and only program in the state.

No. I want to play better teams and get national exposure for the program. We can do better. And I know the other state schools are scared to death of losing us off of the schedule because we give you exposure a few nights out of the year (both in football and basketball). We don't need you, but you need us. Sorry, we can do better. And hopefully, Fran will be able to upgrade the schedule without the other state schools on it.

I share the vision that I only care what is best for our program. And I agree with Fran, you play the best teams you can nationally. And when you schedule cream-puffs make them come to your place. That requires not being held to playing MVC teams and a typically lower to middle of the road Big 12 team. Now, maybe if we have an open date in our home schedule, we could consider fitting you in every once and awhile. But, we will not be dictated to in the future about who we play and that certainly includes by little brother and
little cousins. It should be a privilege to play us, not a right.

Wow, you wasted a lot of time not getting anyone else to agree with you. Well done/

a 2 game touney at the Well would work
Saterday Iowa vs UNI 1ST game, winner plays the winner of the ISU vs Drake on Sunday
following year
Iowa vs Drake winner faces winner of ISU vs UNI
and continue to rotate these matchup to determine the State Champion
this also minimizes the game to 2 each and opens the 3rd for all three teams to schedule a home game for the Home Court revenue
which is what every team needs

Please never let this thread die, it's absolutely hilarious. Hayden, you might be one of the dumbest posters I have seen and that is really saying something. Before you toss another one of these gems out, you might want to wait until Iowa isn't the worst program in the state.

In response to agcy68:

HaydenHawk56,
I think your reasons for dropping ISU, UNI, Drake are as follows:
1. UofI is the better program in the state and shouldn't play teams that can use them to justify their existance. UNI (recently) and ISU (since about 1985) are on par with UofI (if you don't believe this, then prove me wrong). Those schools don't need UofI to justify their existance.

Answer I don't want to give them any extra help on our way re-establishing ourselves as the top dog. We can do better scheduling national opponents. Sure you do, or you would not care if we were playing or not.

2. UofI draws a national audience for their games. Um, as many of your bretheren here have said: No, they don't.

Sure they do....when they play on ESPN at least regional with the Big Ten Network. I want to play more on ESPN.....not the Cyclone Network. We can do better.

3. Playing Duke, UNC, etc. would enhance UofI's reputation.
A. I don't think those schools are willing to play a home and home with UofI.

Why not....we are a Big Ten school......and it does not necessarily have to be Duke or North Carolina. Like someone mentioned it could be UCLA, UNLV, Florida, etc. We can do better than ISU, UNI, and Drake in future scheduling.

B. Getting blown out by those schools would only solidify UofI's current reputation as an also ran school currently in the bottom 1/3 of DI BCS basketball programs.

Right now we would lose big, but I don't think 2 years from now. We can do better.

4. If UofiI didn't play ISU, UNI, and Drake, they could schedule better teams. Why do they need to drop these three to get those? When (IF) UofI re-establishes themselves as the best team in the state, you get three automatic wins AND you can add a few national programs to the slate. You don't have to trade one for the other.

Who cares about playing ISU, UNI, and Drake (only people stuck on tradition and the other schools needing us for their Superbowl). Boring, we can do better for future scheduling.

5. The ISU/UNI/Drake games only garner attention in Iowa. How wide was the coverage of the other UofI basketball games?

Exactly.....the ISU/UNI/Drake games only garner attention in Iowa. We can do better.

Have I missed anything?

Yes. Who cares about ISU, UNI and Drake? I care about the University of Iowa and rebuilding this program and upgrading scheduling. Let those schools play each other. We have to take the high road and do what is best for us on a national scale and stop being stuck in micro traditions. We can do better.

Is that really your logic? If so, it is flawed. Without a logical arguement, your reasoning is emotional and sounds like you just can't accept losing to other (equally talented) teams in the state. You want to eliminate those games so that you can hold onto the outdated opinion that UofI is the best and only program in the state.

No. I want to play better teams and get national exposure for the program. We can do better. And I know the other state schools are scared to death of losing us off of the schedule because we give you exposure a few nights out of the year (both in football and basketball). We don't need you, but you need us. Sorry, we can do better. And hopefully, Fran will be able to upgrade the schedule without the other state schools on it.

I share the vision that I only care what is best for our program. And I agree with Fran, you play the best teams you can nationally. And when you schedule cream-puffs make them come to your place. That requires not being held to playing MVC teams and a typically lower to middle of the road Big 12 team. Now, maybe if we have an open date in our home schedule, we could consider fitting you in every once and awhile. But, we will not be dictated to in the future about who we play and that certainly includes by little brother and
little cousins. It should be a privilege to play us, not a right.

As an ISU fan, I could apply all your logic to the Cyclones. ISU doesn't need to play UofI, it isn't our "Superbowl", it takes the potential for other games off the schedule, it only gives the UofI fanbase a glimmer of hope to prove that they aren't the worst program in the state. From a pure "what is best for the program" perspective", playing a bottom of the barrel Big 10 team in Iowa City doesn't do anything for our mission to get to the upper half of the Big XII, regularly participate in the NCAA Tournament, and compete for championships.

An issue with your arguement is that you think UofI is better than ISU (and recent UNI teams for that matter). Over the last 25 years, I like to think that ISU has had a better basketball program than UofI, but looking at the facts, the teams are very similar. If you consider the Big 8/XII and Big 10 are fairly equal conferences, I believe that ISU has more champrionships that UofI (Tournement in 1996(?) and 2000 / Reg. Season in 2000 and 2001). I also think they have been the NCAA tournement about the same number of times.

The real flaw in your arguement is you think that UofI is a better "program" (whatever that means) than ISU and UNI but don't want to allow the teams to prove that on the court. I also think Fran is having trouble digesting the idea that UNI and ISU are beating them and he is looking for an excuse to get them off the schedule. If he doesn't actually have to play and lose to them, he can convince himself (and the UofI fanbase) that they are the best program in the state.

As an ISU fan, I could apply all your logic to the Cyclones. ISU doesn't need to play UofI, it isn't our "Superbowl", it takes the potential for other games off the schedule, it only gives the UofI fanbase a glimmer of hope to prove that they aren't the worst program in the state. From a pure "what is best for the program" perspective", playing a bottom of the barrel Big 10 team in Iowa City doesn't do anything for our mission to get to the upper half of the Big XII, regularly participate in the NCAA Tournament, and compete for championships.

An issue with your arguement is that you think UofI is better than ISU (and recent UNI teams for that matter). Over the last 25 years, I like to think that ISU has had a better basketball program than UofI, but looking at the facts, the teams are very similar. If you consider the Big 8/XII and Big 10 are fairly equal conferences, I believe that ISU has more champrionships that UofI (Tournement in 1996(?) and 2000 / Reg. Season in 2000 and 2001). I also think they have been the NCAA tournement about the same number of times.

The real flaw in your arguement is you think that UofI is a better "program" (whatever that means) than ISU and UNI but don't want to allow the teams to prove that on the court. I also think Fran is having trouble digesting the idea that UNI and ISU are beating them and he is looking for an excuse to get them off the schedule. If he doesn't actually have to play and lose to them, he can convince himself (and the UofI fanbase) that they are the best program in the state.

and hayden's response to this will be....

hurr_durr_derp_face_derperator_I_Come_Baring_LOLZ-s500x375-161963.jpg

Answer me this clone fans, if Iowa is not so important to your existence than why do you post here? Why are you not on your own board?

Just admit it, you are scared to lose us. And when we improve, hopefully we will an enjoyable time playing a more nationally regarded schedule without any commitments to the other lower schools in the state.

Answer me this clone fans, if Iowa is not so important to your existence than why do you post here? Why are you not on your own board?

Just admit it, you are scared to lose us. And when we improve, hopefully we will an enjoyable time playing a more nationally regarded schedule without any commitments to the other lower schools in the state.

haha...unfortunately it happens both ways. It would be great if everyone stayed on their own boards but this is not the reality of internet sports message boards.

Read the Hlas Article in the Cedar Rapids Gazette today. Even though Hlas supports playing the state schools, he admits in so many words it does more for UNI and Drake than it does for Iowa and ISU. And Hlas talks about if you want a more national schedule, being locked into playing the 3 state schools ham-strings you from upgrading your schedule (especially Iowa and ISU).

Hlas also addresses your concerns about why does Iowa just drop some of their cup-cakes at home to continue to play the state schools. Well, because those cup-cakes don't require you to return a home and home series and most big programs are concerned with getting as many home games as possible in their preseason.

That is why I say if we ever find room in our schedule, if a state school wants to play us, we can every once and awhile. But make them play in Carver only.

Fran says in the article "Obviously for me, when I have a good team, I want to take everybody on. I want to be on television. I think it's our responsibility to do that. I think you have to look at the big picture moving forward, and I think that's what everybody's doing."

So some of you can call me dumb all you want. But, you would be calling Fran dumb to (who I'm sure as forgot more about basketball than you know).

If Fran has his way, he will not be dictated to by the other state schools. Now, the article does suggest we might be moving to a tournament involving the state schools. Iowa and ISU likely to continue to play annually. I still say a waste of time, but it is what it is.

I still say Iowa take the high road and dump them.

Last edited:

A. I post here periodically; mostly to defend ISU as some posters here subscirbe to an inaccurate opinion/version of history. As you never addressed my question of the "best program" in the state, you might fall into taht category.

B. It is called a rivalry. Most of us have friends/family/neighbors that root for the other side. That is why clone fans come here and UofI fans post on Cyclone boards.

C. As a cyclone fan, I am not afraid of not playing UofI. All the points that you made about UofI dropping the series applies from the Cyclone point of view as well. As an Iowan, however, I believe thes series should continue (see point a).

D. When you are losing to traditional rivals and want to quit, it isn't because you can "do better", it is because you are afraid you will continue be embarresed when you lose to those programs. (Remember when Missouri canceled it's football game with UofI...)

E. If Fran is looking to get better competition and better coverage, what is he doing about it? The current UofI home slate of games allowed for: 8 on Mediacom/BTN.com, 2 on BTN, 1 on ESPNU, 1 on None. Out of 13 non-con games, 3 are against in state competition; what about the other 10? Is Fran working to fill those with Duke, Kanasa, UNC, etc. Ten slots ( the same number of "open games that ISU has) are quite an opportunity for expanding the competition.

Read the Hlas Article in the Cedar Rapids Gazette today. Even though Hlas supports playing the state schools, he admits in so many words it does more for UNI and Drake than it does for Iowa and ISU. And Hlas talks about if you want a more national schedule, being locked into playing the 3 state schools ham-strings you from upgrading your schedule (especially Iowa and ISU).

Hlas also addresses your concerns about why does Iowa just drop some of their cup-cakes at home to continue to play the state schools. Well, because those cup-cakes don't require you to return a home and home series and most big programs are concerned with getting as many home games as possible in their preseason.

That is why I say if we ever find room in our schedule, if a state school wants to play us, we can every once and awhile. But make them play in Carver only.

Fran says in the article "Obviously for me, when I have a good team, I want to take everybody on. I want to be on television. I think it's our responsibility to do that. I think you have to look at the big picture moving forward, and I think that's what everybody's doing."

So some of you can call me dumb all you want. But, you would be calling Fran dumb to (who I'm sure as forgot more about basketball than you know).

If Fran has his way, he will not be dictated to by the other state schools. Now, the article does suggest we might be moving to a tournament involving the state schools. Iowa and ISU likely to continue to play annually. I still say a waste of time, but it is what it is.

I still say Iowa take the high road and dump them.

So, if you buy into the Hlas logic, the UofI and ISU should continue. Are you ok with that?

Latest posts