We have to think bigger than ISU, UNI, and Drake

Get rid of these ancillary schools. They are cute and all but we are the Hawks and this is a Hawkeye state and always will be. It is time to cut the apron strings. Get lost little brother and step children.

Here's a hypothetical: If my aunt had a dick, would she be my uncle?

That's about how ridiculous you sound. Iowa can't beat Campbell this year, but in 3 years we could beat Duke.

You must not know what hypothetical means.

For all you idiots that are unaware, WE PLAY MORE CONFERENCE GAMES THAN WE USED TO. Which means...... we can't play as many non-conference games, make sense?? Soooo do we want to keep playing in-state for the next 20 years or keep our very limited schedule open to playing in the other 49 states?

I'd much rather build strength in the OOC schedule by adding "name" schools than continue to waste three dates on the in-state schools. Playing top-tier programs from around the country builds prestige, adds to the RPI and brings wider TV exposure. I agree with Fran here.

You must not know what hypothetical means.

For all you idiots that are unaware, WE PLAY MORE CONFERENCE GAMES THAN WE USED TO. Which means...... we can't play as many non-conference games, make sense?? Soooo do we want to keep playing in-state for the next 20 years or keep our very limited schedule open to playing in the other 49 states?

I'm not sure YOU know what hypothetical means.

For you, since you are an idiot, we don't beat the teams that we do play out of state. Yeah, let's play Duke or UNC so they can beat us by 40...that would be some great exposure.

Hey Hawkeye11en1 he is talking about when Iowa becomes good again. It really may not be that far away with the recruiting class Fran has assembled.

Even so, I would rather take my chances losing to Duke than being a puss and duck them by playing the 2nd and 3rd runs in the state that no one cares about nationally.

Hypothetical: If Iowa was good enough in THREE YEARS to compete with Duke on primetime espn, would you rather play Drake?

Yeah, we need to be sure to wait until we're good enough. As much as the wussies around here are afraid of UNI, I'm not sure there are enough Pampers in the state to keep their pants dry if we played Duke.

This will be great scheduling. We'll probably only play two non-conference games a year (not against UNI or ISU or Drake. Maybe against Mount Mercy and Kirkwood) until "we're good enough", then we'll start playing Duke, UNC, UCONN, BC, Pitt, etc. They'll be lining up to sign games with the Hawks.

Hey Hawkeye11en1 he is talking about when Iowa becomes good again. It really may not be that far away with the recruiting class Fran has assembled.

Even so, I would rather take my chances losing to Duke than being a puss and duck them by playing the 2nd and 3rd runs in the state that no one cares about nationally.

Yeah, because that's what we would be doing, ducking Duke. They REALLY want to play us and we'd say no. Oh, my.

Beat the supposed "bad" teams in our state and then maybe worry about a team like Duke. And that's a big maybe.

Why not? We are from the Big Ten and are traditionally (according to ESPN's top teams historically) we are number 10 all time in basketball. If Iowa improves it would be a good non-conference game for both teams. Even so, playing teams like Duke are much better for us than playing directional state.

Why not? We are from the Big Ten and are traditionally (according to ESPN's top teams historically) we are number 10 all time in basketball. If Iowa improves it would be a good non-conference game for both teams. Even so, playing teams like Duke are much better for us than playing directional state.

How much does Iowa have to improve? Do you realize that history means nothing and NO ONE in the country looks at us as a good basketball school. No one. We are one of the worst, if not THE worst, team in the B10 right now. Don't give me the crap about a good recruiting class. Get them here, let them and the coaching staff prove that they can have us competing in the B10 again. And then we can start discussing bettering our schedule. But that still doesn't mean we drop ISU and a game that is pretty big in the state of Iowa.

Actually, Iowa does not have to improve per say. I would love to play Duke over ISU right now. I would love to play North Carolina over Drake.

Sure, we would probably get pounded, but I think we could learn more from that game than playing ISU in the long run. Duke is a better opponent this year and is traditionally a better opponent.

I honestly think there is nothing wrong with trying to the better program and upgrade the schedule more fitting for where we would like to eventually be. Playing directional state, who cares....give me the top flight programs. Fran impresses me more and more.....

An improved Iowa would make it a better competitive game of course. Take the high road, think bigger.

Well, if your read above, I said in most years nobody watches other than the Iowa, Nebraska, Oklahoma, and Texas game.

How is this different than Iowa? It's not like the nation is tuning in to watch you play Purdue and Tennessee Tech.

Well Iowa may not pull in the television ratings like Texas, but they sure as hell are watched more nationally (and in the state) than the other directional schools in the state of Iowa.

You see the tigerhawk and you know that is Iowa.

Last edited:
Well Iowa may not pull in the television ratings like Texas, but they sure as hell are watched more nationally (and in the state) than the other directional schools in the state of Iowa.

You see the tigerhawk and you know that is Iowa.

Source for that first statement?

Source for that first statement?
Big Ten Network

You ever heard of teh big ten network orrr?

And for the record, it doesn't need to be Duke level teams. Even if it's UCLA, USC or anywhere that could help recruiting, exposure, etc. I don't mind playing ISU if the game garners national attention, but that hasn't been the case and probably will continue to be that way in the future.

What in the world about this season makes people think we are going to be ready to play the big boys anytime soon? 3 years from now we will be competitive with Duke? Yeah right. 3 years from now we will be lucky if we can be competitive with the in-state rivals.

Face it, Iowa was great 25-30 years ago. They were pretty good 10-15 years ago. They had their moments 5-10 years ago. Now we are a bottom of the barrel team, overmatched in our league, and not even close to the best team in the state. Hell, we'd lose to a lot of the juco teams. Indian Hills would look like the freaking Harlem Globetrotters against our defense. Our RPI is 187. UNI's is 5. And we think we should be leaving them behind? They left us behind, and before we start thinking about the big programs we need to get back to a level where we can compete with them.

Reading the article about the series could end with these schools and what Fran has to say.....I think he is right on the money.

Come on, if the best we can come up with in continuing to play these schools because of the atmosphere was so good back in the day we can just as easily accomplish that with playing more nationally renowned schools.

Yes we are down in basketball and realistic fans will admit that. But, in the top 2 sports in the state (football and basketball) historically speaking, Iowa is the top dog in this state. All of these schools want to be Iowa....the top dog. They can never really be it, so the next best thing is to keep playing us and get some wins here and there. Unfortunately for us, the basketball team is still trying to battle out of the major funk Bowlsby, Alford, and Lickliter put us in, which has come at the benefit of the other state schools. And with Ferentz coaching, ISU has been typically getting a win once every three years, usually in Ames.

We gain nothing by playing these schools. Nothing. Absolutely nothing. They have everything to gain by beating us and we have nothing to gain by beating them.

Of course they don't want to lose us on their schedule, we keep them relevant for a few nights each sports season.

We are the traditional top dog and we need to start acting like it. I don't blame Fran one bit by trying to upgrade the schedule. Drop little brother and little cousin. Let them have it while we aspire to play teams that will get us much more exposure for our program (like Duke, Kansas, and North Carolina).

Did your parents have any children that lived? Seriously you are a moron.

Can someone please tell me why you would have to dump the in-state schools in order to play Duke or North Carolina? You make it sound like you want to move onto bigger and better things, but I'm not hearing anything about dumping Chicago State and Brown and taking on better competition...if you want to raise Iowa's standards, get good enough to kick the other 3's a$$es again AND take on the Dukes of the world...instead using "move onto bigger and better" as a veil to hide your yellow streaks because it sucks losing rivalry games...

I bet you right now that if Fran doesn't play ISU next year, it's replaced by a game against Petunia Tech and not Duke.

Can someone please tell me why you would have to dump the in-state schools in order to play Duke or North Carolina? You make it sound like you want to move onto bigger and better things, but I'm not hearing anything about dumping Chicago State and Brown and taking on better competition...if you want to raise Iowa's standards, get good enough to kick the other 3's a$$es again AND take on the Dukes of the world...instead using "move onto bigger and better" as a veil to hide your yellow streaks because it sucks losing rivalry games...

That's the fallacy; that playing ISU, UNI and Drake is keeping us from playing Duke, Kentucky and NC. Very disappointed that Fran said that.

Latest posts