We have to think bigger than ISU, UNI, and Drake

Sure, drop ISU. Yeah, they have out performed Iowa for years now and yeah, they have had more in state buzz and well, they attract many more people to games than Iowa, but I agree that it's time to realize that Iowa is just too big for ISU.

I don't agree with Hlas completely. Hlas likes playing instate schools, I think it is generally a waste of time on the whole.

But, he does make some of the points I was making earlier in this thread.

Last edited:
I don't agree with Hlas completely. But, he does make some of the points I was making earlier in this thread.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLY762hnIso&list=LL091aK_kn3rbeaK93qYhkJA&index=11&feature=plpp_video]Erin from the Office best scene - YouTube[/ame]

I would rather upgrade my schedule so my program is more attractive from a national perspective than my program being held to playing instate "rivalry games." Screw that, instate games does nothing for us....even when we are good. The games are only for Cousin Eddy from ISU to boost his ego from playing Iowa.

Like I said, that is more important for schools like ISU, UNI, and Drake who have a smaller fan following individually in the state compared to the U of I.

If I can schedule UCLA, Florida, or Duke over ISU, I'm going to do it if that were my program.

I would rather upgrade my schedule so my program is more attractive from a national perspective than my program being held to playing instate "rivalry games." Screw that, instate games does nothing for us....even when we are good. The games are only for Cousin Eddy from ISU to boost his ego from playing Iowa.

Like I said, that is more important for schools like ISU, UNI, and Drake who have a smaller fan following individually in the state compared to the U of I.

If I can schedule UCLA, Florida, or Duke over ISU, I'm going to do it if that were my program.

Upgrade your schedule? As Mr. Hlas commented, UofI has dragged down UNI's SOS rather than UNI dragging down UofI's SOS. ISU played Duke a couple of years ago. What has UofI done? playing ISU/UNI/Drake does nothing to preclude scheduling Duke, Kansas, UNC, etc. Until Fran actully gets those team on the schedule, complaining that in state competition restricts their scheduling ability is just a really poor excuse.

As an ISU fan, I have not needed to beat UofI to know that ISU is the better program. Just the opposite, when UofI wins, it gives TavernHawks reason to pay attention to UofI basketball. Without being able to beat ISU, UofI might loose half their fanbase as that seems to be one of the only games on the UofI schedule that the "fanbase" is actually aware of.

Smaller fanbase? I guess the numbers for football say that (although I haven't looked them up myself). Number of butts in the seats at basketball games? I think ISU is well ahead of UofI there. I think CHA has gotten the larger boost of income from hosting the ISU game than the other way around.

As you can't seem to beat ISU or UNI on the court, you go ahead and take your ball an run home. I am sure that in the confines of your bedroom, UofI is still a stellar program that is the epitome of basketball in the state of Iowa. It is a lot easier to believe that when you don't have to prove it in an actual competition.

It's all so easy right? So replace ISU, UNI, and Drake with these 3 schools and guess how much revenue you get from that? 0, because they are not coming to IC any time soon. The key would be to start beating these "lesser" schools, and actually get to some level of respectability in our own state first. THEN move on to bigger and better things. You're argument is missing a few steps. Plus, as noted previously, there is plenty of money in playing these games, not just for the schools, but for a lot local/in-state companies that sponsor things like the Cy-Hawk series.

Maybe you should go on the UCLA, Duke, or Florida forums and take a poll of how many of those people even know where the state of Iowa is on a map.

Its a 2 way street, Iowa doesn't just get to decide who they want to play. We need to sure up our borders, both in winning and recruiting. Aside from you, I don't know many local people that don't get pretty buzzed from playing these games, especially against ISU, and especially when both teams are decent. This thread is a testament to that.

Newsflash, hotshot. WE CAN'T. You should be banned for being a ******* moron.

the series between ISU and Iowa, but the games against Drake and UNI will more than likely be a two game event on a weekend, with Iowa vs Drake, ISU vs UNI then switch the next year
and as for Duke, UCLA or Florida. the teams know where and who Iowa is
but if you ask them who UNI or Drake are they probably will who are they? are they a DII school?
you really think the ISU fans will cry about poor Drake or UNI, they start to get Louiville, UCLA or someone like that on their schedule to replace them
or even Iowa as they will more than likely get a Big East team with Frans connection out east they might get a matchup with Norte Dame
and i would much rather watch a Iowa vs ND matchup, than a Iowa vs the flopping Panthers of UNI

I loved how you pull out the ban card hawkeye11en1. How about ban you for personal attacks? An opinion is an opinion. You have yours and I have been mine.

Clicheusername3 I don't care about the CyHawk Series. They could throw that Trophy in the ocean....I don't care. In fact, let the cyclones keep it. I will USPS it to them free of charge.

As far as local business go, they make enough money off of U of I apparel. No worries there.

And, I would be ok going out to play those schools at their place. I'm not afraid of them and I want to play the best.

It helps with getting the Iowa name brand out there to possible recruits. Nothing but positives for the U of I. And, it wouldn't be like we could never get a home and home with those schools. If you want to earn respect, you got to out there and get it. I like it that we have a coach that can say that.

agcy68 I get it. I know Iowa is not the best team in the state this year and has been on a downward trend since Alford and Lickliter screwed up the program. I know Iowa drags down UNI's SOS this year. I get that.

It is my hope Fran gets things turned around (and I believe he will) and we will be the premier team in the state.

What I don't think you get is moving forward and looking toward the future, as Iowa hopefully improves (even if they don't) I want to play the best teams nationally for all the above reasons mentioned. And I would replace the 3 state schools with nationally renowned competition if I had the chance. And, I would take the high road and start making the other state schools (if and when we would play them here and there) play us exclusively at Carver. I want to re-establish Iowa as the premier program in the state while reducing any statistical advantages as possible for the other state schools. Time to stop doing them any favors.

I don't care about the CyHawk series, I don't care about doing the best for the state schools, I don't care about "state rivalries", and I don't care if we are down right now in basketball. Call it arrogance if you wish, but I only care about improving the U of I and not at the advantage of the other state schools. We need to treat them like 2nd and 3rd fiddle when we are not playing them and then get up for the games and kick the crap out of them in the event we choose to play them (hopefully). And the key word here is choose. It is a privilege to play us, not a right.

Nothing personal, just business.

Last edited:
agcy68 I get it. I know Iowa is not the best team in the state this year and has been on a downward trend since Alford and Lickliter screwed up the program. I know Iowa drags down UNI's SOS this year. I get that.

It is my hope Fran gets things turned around (and I believe he will) and we will be the premier team in the state.

What I don't think you get is moving forward and looking toward the future, as Iowa hopefully improves (even if they don't) I want to play the best teams nationally for all the above reasons mentioned. And I would replace the 3 state schools with nationally renowned competition if I had the chance. And, I would take the high road and start making the other state schools (if and when we would play them here and there) play us exclusively at Carver. I want to re-establish Iowa as the premier program in the state while reducing any statistical advantages as possible for the other state schools. Time to stop doing them any favors.

I don't care about the CyHawk series, I don't care about doing the best for the state schools, I don't care about "state rivalries", and I don't care if we are down right now in basketball. Call it arrogance if you wish, but I only care about improving the U of I and not at the advantage of the other state schools. We need to treat them like 2nd and 3rd fiddle when we are not playing them and then get up for the games and kick the crap out of them in the event we choose to play them (hopefully). And the key word here is choose. It is a privilege to play us, not a right.

It's a privlege to play the worst program in the state? Your level of undeserving arrogance is not only laughable but pathetic.

I don't wish to call it arrogance, just unbridled stupidity.

Well if you read above, hopefully Fran will change that. Yes it would be a privilege. If you want to be the best, you have to believe it, do it, and act like it. I hope Fran gets us there and I think he will once he gets his players firmly estabished into his system.

i personally hope that the series continues as is, but i also completely recognize that iowa should have the right to independently draw up their own schedule. in the years where iowa must go to both ISU and UNI, it really limits their scheduling flexibility especially if they want to play in a tournament. with the current budget situation you really cant give up any home dates.

on a secondary level, i also understand that it is a little tactical gamesmanship by iowa to avoid promoting UNI's program even more.

This thread needs some positive vibe:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r7wHMg5Yjg]The Crazy Nastyass Honey Badger (original narration by Randall) - YouTube[/ame]

Screw the other state schools. As for as the soup Campbells on the schedule, every major team has them. They are tune-up games for the bigger schools yet to be played on the schedule.....and we make them play at our house with no emotional ties like the state schools have with playing us. We have more to gain playing Illinois Chicago than playing ISU.

ISU, UNI, and Drake are a no win situation for Iowa. We would gain more by filling them with teams of more national prominence.
So in your first half you say playing Campbell and Ill. Chi. are better than playing ISU because you need more warm up games.

Then you say you want to fill them with more teams on national prominence.... what, like Duke, UNC, and Kentucky???

You just sound like someone who is tired of losing to ISU, Drake, and UNI so you want them off the schedule. If you really think playing Ill. Chi. is better than playing ISU, you are just whining.

Last edited:

Latest posts