Wait...so could we end up playing Bama in the Citrus now

I agree with him. Vegas isn't going to put Iowa at +21 against just about anyone.
What was the spread against Michigan? PSU?
How are those relatable? I’ll tell you this, Bama was -17.5 at Texas A&M. Metrics wise Texas A&M is fairly close to Iowa. It was with Tua though but it was a true road game so maybe a wash there. It will not be 10 points that’s laughable.

Well that’s great you’re entitled to your opinion, but in my opinion you’re wrong. Do you realize how dumb it sounds that we just squeaked by Illinois and Nebraska and now we want to play Alabama? That would be like Minny fans saying we are ready for the playoffs after knocking off PSU only to inevitably lose to Iowa and UW and fall to 18th in the rankings. If Minny has Texas A&M’s schedule they’d have 5 losses.

Iowa would be a three TD underdog against Bama, and more often than not Vegas knows what they are talking about.
Iowa's O would be the problem here. We'd go 3 and out way too many times against them leaving our D out there too much. That's where it'd be tough. I'm not sure how well our O could move the ball on them. We'd have to get big plays. I don't see us pounding it on them or working 10 plus play drives on them. If Iowa could move the ball respectably against them and TOP isn't lop sided I think our D can frustrate them.

Iowa's O would be the problem here. We'd go 3 and out way too many times against them leaving our D out there too much. That's where it'd be tough. I'm not sure how well our O could move the ball on them. We'd have to get big plays. I don't see us pounding it on them or working 10 plus play drives on them. If Iowa could move the ball respectably against them and TOP isn't lop sided I think our D can frustrate them.
Iowa’s offense would’ve absolutely be a problem... but this is where I think a few of you guys perception isn’t lining up with reality, so I’m so glad you brought this up.

Alabama is averaging 46.6 points per game, 3rd nationally. Their lowest point output this year was 35 points. They haven’t been frustrated by anyone this year. Auburn’s D ranks #20 nationally in points allowed, Bama hung 45 on them at their place with their backup QB!

This is a total mismatch, and that’s not Iowa’s fault. Bama is literally still probably a top 3 team in the country, they just happened to lose two very close games this year. You could throw Bama in the playoff with their backup QB and they’d have a fighting chance to win it.

He is a stud no doubt. But he's just one man as is AJE for us. He'll be the first DT taken early in the draft I'm sure.

Marlon Davidson is probably a wash with AJE at end. Brown is so much better than any of our linemen it ain't funny.

The new CFP rankings have shaken things up.

Florida has jumped PSU in the rankings. Assuming LSU beats Georgia, it will probably beLSU in the Playoffs, Georgia in the Sugar and Florida in the Orange.

Assuming Utah beats Oregon. It will be Utah in the playoffs and Oregon in the Rose bowl.

Assuming Oklahoma beats Baylor, it will be Oklahoma in the Sugar and Baylor in the Cotton.

Assuming Clemson beats Virginia, it will be Clemson in the playoffs and Virginia in the Orange.

That leaves PSU out of any NY6 bowl.

PSU can't go to the Citrus because it went last year, which bumps PSU to the outback.

The citrus also must take 5 different teams in 6 years. The Citrus has had no repeat teams from the Big Ten so it's free to pick any other Big Ten team.

So the Citrus will come down to Mich, Minn and Iowa. Mich and Minn have both gone recently, so that favors Iowa

Iowa is now above Minn in the latest CFP rankings.

But I just have a feeling they will go with Mich for the Citrus. Iowa to the Holiday. Minnesota to the Redbox.

I still think that Rose would be well served by choosing Minnesota. The entire state will go to the game. Cha Ching !

Where is Wisconsin in that excellent breakdown above? Indiana? I think Indy just goes to Nashville?

Iowa’s offense would’ve absolutely be a problem... but this is where I think a few of you guys perception isn’t lining up with reality, so I’m so glad you brought this up.

Alabama is averaging 46.6 points per game, 3rd nationally. Their lowest point output this year was 35 points. They haven’t been frustrated by anyone this year. Auburn’s D ranks #20 nationally in points allowed, Bama hung 45 on them at their place with their backup QB!

This is a total mismatch, and that’s not Iowa’s fault. Bama is literally still probably a top 3 team in the country, they just happened to lose two very close games this year. You could throw Bama in the playoff with their backup QB and they’d have a fighting chance to win it.
I can see your take being valid on this. I could be wrong with my Hawkeye colored glasses for sure. Besides Auburn Bama hadn't really had a tough schedule at all. And with the bowl games like this where one team has considerably more motivation then the other you can get Boise ST beating Oklahoma kind of things to happen. Our O would just have to hit on big plays early to keep it close to start with. Anything beyond that wouldn't be too realistic

I still think that Rose would be well served by choosing Minnesota. The entire state will go to the game. Cha Ching !

Where is Wisconsin in that excellent breakdown above? Indiana? I think Indy just goes to Nashville?
ESPN had Wisconsin in the Gator Bowl. Talk about a kick in the jewels for them if that comes to be.

How are those relatable? I’ll tell you this, Bama was -17.5 at Texas A&M. Metrics wise Texas A&M is fairly close to Iowa. It was with Tua though but it was a true road game so maybe a wash there. It will not be 10 points that’s laughable.

Because those teams are decent and rank as such. Same with Wisconsin. We have played a lot of top tier teams this year.
Also we played in a very defense heavy conference this year.
That right there will affect our offensive output.
I'm in no way saying that our offense could keep up with Alabama, because our offense was not good at all.. I'm just saying that there are many factors to be considered and that I don't think the game would be a blowout.

Obviously we take whomever they give us but I think Iowa would have a rough time with Bama, and makes for a not so fun bowl experience for us.

Hoping we get a different draw then Bama. Probably the worst draw outside of the CFP

But with great risk can come great reward....................

Well, I think Alabama doesn't really want any part of this match up either.
They are in melt down mode anyway, now could you imagine if they lost to Iowa?
I would bet they are hoping for an easy game.
As for us? I think everyone would be pretty excited. A few people are scared and have said so, but I think as a whole the fan base would be pretty excited to match up with a upper echelon team.

Well, I think Alabama doesn't really want any part of this match up either.
They are in melt down mode anyway, now could you imagine if they lost to Iowa?
I would bet they are hoping for an easy game.
As for us? I think everyone would be pretty excited. A few people are scared and have said so, but I think as a whole the fan base would be pretty excited to match up with a upper echelon team.

I’d much rather lose to Alabama, a massive brand name with a huge following, in prime recruiting territory on News years day, then beat Arizona state or another sleepy mediocre Pac-12 team that no one cares about on a random Friday night with no one watching. Staying with Alabama for 3 quarters and losing by a TD or two is a net win for the program.

alabama is a brand name.

I’d much rather lose to Alabama, a massive brand name with a huge following, in prime recruiting territory on News years day, then beat Arizona state or another sleepy mediocre Pac-12 team that no one cares about on a random Friday night with no one watching. Staying with Alabama for 3 quarters and losing by a TD or two is a net win for the program.

alabama is a brand name.
As opposed to a 10 win season, finishing in the top 15, bowl banner and trophy.

Prospective 2022 recruit “yea I’m thinking Iowa, they lost to Alabama by two touchdowns in the citrus bowl the one year Bama didn’t make the playoffs and half their team sat out the bowl for the draft #swarm2022”

alabama is a brand name.

I'm kind of the same way. If your going to do it, be the best. If you don't swing for the fence, you won't hit a home run.
I'm not concerned what losing to Alabama would mean, because lot's of schools have and they are doing ok. I'm thinking about what it would mean if we win.
But I have never been the type to run from a challenge.

I'm kind of the same way. If your going to do it, be the best. If you don't swing for the fence, you won't hit a home run.
I'm not concerned what losing to Alabama would mean, because lot's of schools have and they are doing ok. I'm thinking about what it would mean if we win.
But I have never been the type to run from a challenge.

Look at the schools that have lost to Bama this year. They aren't doing okay. The schools that are doing okay, like Auburn and LSU, both beat Bama. The rest of the schedule was teams like Duke, Tennessee, South Carolina, Ol Miss, Mississippi State and Arkansas. The only potentially okay team Bama beat was A&M, who is 7-5.

Look at the schools that have lost to Bama this year. They aren't doing okay. The schools that are doing okay, like Auburn and LSU, both beat Bama. The rest of the schedule was teams like Duke, Tennessee, South Carolina, Ol Miss, Mississippi State and Arkansas. The only potentially okay team Bama beat was A&M, who is 7-5.
Bama has pretty much been beating everyone for quite a while. That's not news.
Yet all those schools like LSU and Auburn that Alabama has been beating for awhile now are just fine. You could argue better than fine.

I would LOVE to see Iowa face Alabama in the Citrus Bowl! If there was ever a year Iowa could legitimately beat Alabama this is the year. Iowa would be happy to be playing in that bowl while Alabama players will be disappointed and many of them looking to be drafted probably wouldn't play.

When you are recruited to play football at Alabama the expectation is to be playing for the NC every year, not playing in a 2nd tier bowl.

Latest posts