Wait...so could we end up playing Bama in the Citrus now

Just think how easy it will be for the coaching staff to get the kids to focus on this game!

one of the narratives around these lesser bowl games is that the 1st round draft picks don’t need to put themselves at risk. Well, for a chance to play vs Alabama I think all of the early entrants will want to play and play like they are possessed. I think the whole team would like that challenge.

and maybe it will help our cause if the kids from Bama are ... not quite ... as enthused about playing is. Maybe they don’t want to be there.

Any win over Alabama is a good win, Baby!

The new CFP rankings have shaken things up.

Florida has jumped PSU in the rankings. Assuming LSU beats Georgia, it will probably beLSU in the Playoffs, Georgia in the Sugar and Florida in the Orange.

Assuming Utah beats Oregon. It will be Utah in the playoffs and Oregon in the Rose bowl.

Assuming Oklahoma beats Baylor, it will be Oklahoma in the Sugar and Baylor in the Cotton.

Assuming Clemson beats Virginia, it will be Clemson in the playoffs and Virginia in the Orange.

That leaves PSU out of any NY6 bowl.

PSU can't go to the Citrus because it went last year, which bumps PSU to the outback.

The citrus also must take 5 different teams in 6 years. The Citrus has had no repeat teams from the Big Ten so it's free to pick any other Big Ten team.

So the Citrus will come down to Mich, Minn and Iowa. Mich and Minn have both gone recently, so that favors Iowa

Iowa is now above Minn in the latest CFP rankings.

But I just have a feeling they will go with Mich for the Citrus. Iowa to the Holiday. Minnesota to the Redbox.

Just think how easy it will be for the coaching staff to get the kids to focus on this game!

one of the narratives around these lesser bowl games is that the 1st round draft picks don’t need to put themselves at risk. Well, for a chance to play vs Alabama I think all of the early entrants will want to play and play like they are possessed. I think the whole team would like that challenge.

and maybe it will help our cause if the kids from Bama are ... not quite ... as enthused about playing is. Maybe they don’t want to be there.

this I agree with. If Alabama played in the citrus it would be their second team, but hey, their second team is all 4* guys who would win the big ten west. The key would be for najee Harris, jeudy and Ruggs to sit.

For those hoping Alabama would over-look Iowa in a potential bowl match-up, think again. If there's one coach in college football who goes to great lengths to prevent this it would be Nick Saban. If you also factor in the last game they played was a loss to Auburn on a 12-men on the field penalty, and that Saban I don't think has lost 2 in a row in over 10 years this would point to a Alabama victory. Tua is really the only player of consequence they are missing, otherwise this is still a roster 2-deep at every position with NFL prospects. Iowa in my humble opinion would get massacred against Alabama. There would be nothing in their favor whatsoever.

For those hoping Alabama would over-look Iowa in a potential bowl match-up, think again. If there's one coach in college football who goes to great lengths to prevent this it would be Nick Saban. If you also factor in the last game they played was a loss to Auburn on a 12-men on the field penalty, and that Saban I don't think has lost 2 in a row in over 10 years this would point to a Alabama victory. Tua is really the only player of consequence they are missing, otherwise this is still a roster 2-deep at every position with NFL prospects. Iowa in my humble opinion would get massacred against Alabama. There would be nothing in their favor whatsoever.

Iowa vs Bama could end up like our last Rose Bowl with Bama having a few fast players making big plays on offense.

I dont think this year's bama defense is lights out but against our offense they would be very good.

Some of you are bipolar. beginning of season, hey we need to play a game against a known and good team; end of season OMG we might have to play Bama OMG no!

I am sure Nick remembers the last game he had against Kirk with the walk off homer.

Iowa has one of the top defenses in the country, so somehow Bama's offense is so much better our defense would give up 50? I don't think so.

Many would still suggest FIRE KIRK!!!!

Iowa has one of the top defenses in the country, so somehow Bama's offense is so much better our defense would give up 50? I don't think so.

Iowa has one of the most well coached defenses in the country. If you watch teams like LSU, OSU, Bama or Auburn, you will see that their defenses have a lot of freak athletes, but guys have very poor fundamentals and get out of position a fair amount. Iowa's strategy of often requiring a QB to put together several plays on a drive works well against a lot of the marginal Big Ten QBs, but Iowa has been susceptible to the deep play this year. Iowa wouldn't give up 50 to Bama. The DBs would get torched a few times. It would really come down to whether Iowa could bottle up the running attack and then move the ball on offense.

Iowa has one of the most well coached defenses in the country. If you watch teams like LSU, OSU, Bama or Auburn, you will see that their defenses have a lot of freak athletes, but guys have very poor fundamentals and get out of position a fair amount. Iowa's strategy of often requiring a QB to put together several plays on a drive works well against a lot of the marginal Big Ten QBs, but Iowa has been susceptible to the deep play this year. Iowa wouldn't give up 50 to Bama. The DBs would get torched a few times. It would really come down to whether Iowa could bottle up the running attack and then move the ball on offense.

That's the way I felt ahead of the 2016 Rose Bowl....

Latest posts