Wait...so could we end up playing Bama in the Citrus now

For those hoping Alabama would over-look Iowa in a potential bowl match-up, think again. If there's one coach in college football who goes to great lengths to prevent this it would be Nick Saban. If you also factor in the last game they played was a loss to Auburn on a 12-men on the field penalty, and that Saban I don't think has lost 2 in a row in over 10 years this would point to a Alabama victory. Tua is really the only player of consequence they are missing, otherwise this is still a roster 2-deep at every position with NFL prospects. Iowa in my humble opinion would get massacred against Alabama. There would be nothing in their favor whatsoever.

But, but, but, Stanley destroyed Ohio St at one time in history........

Yeah, why not? I don't think we keep it particularly close but if we get Bama in a bowl game, so be it. Nothing to lose, really. It wouldn't be the first time Iowa has gotten rolled in a bowl game. A win would be awesome, though.

I would basically see this as something like that 2011 Insight game vs Oklahoma. We didn't get embarrassed by any stretch, but there was really never any doubt as to who was in control of that game.

How are those relatable? I’ll tell you this, Bama was -17.5 at Texas A&M. Metrics wise Texas A&M is fairly close to Iowa. It was with Tua though but it was a true road game so maybe a wash there. It will not be 10 points that’s laughable.

I have come around at your take on the point spread. But part of that is likely there are so many followers that bet on Bama regardless of the odds.

Your right that Bama is in a different league than most the NCAA. But I honestly think Michigan, Penn St, and Ohio State would fair well in this years SEC. Outisde of top 5, the remaining 9 teams are average to below average this year. That's not saying overall the SEC is weaker than Bigten, just that the gap isn't what it has been in the past.

My personal expectation is Iowa would lose by 10 to 17 points. On the account that this squad would have trouble being motivated for a non playoff game. The spread might very well start at -21 Bama.

But who do you really want to see Iowa bowl against? You just want a more likely competitive game? All I know is I hope it's isn't a repeat of someone they have been matched up with recently.

I have come around at your take on the point spread. But part of that is likely there are so many followers that bet on Bama regardless of the odds.

Your right that Bama is in a different league than most the NCAA. But I honestly think Michigan, Penn St, and Ohio State would fair well in this years SEC. Outisde of top 5, the remaining 9 teams are average to below average this year. That's not saying overall the SEC is weaker than Bigten, just that the gap isn't what it has been in the past.

My personal expectation is Iowa would lose by 10 to 17 points. On the account that this squad would have trouble being motivated for a non playoff game. The spread might very well start at -21 Bama.

But who do you really want to see Iowa bowl against? You just want a more likely competitive game? All I know is I hope it's isn't a repeat of someone they have been matched up with recently.
I’m not a big SEC hype guy either. The bottom of that conference stinks. But as I’ve mentioned Bama is a whole different animal.

I’d like to play Florida in the Citrus. I think they are overrated, but it would still be a tough game for us. We haven’t played them in several years.

I personally think 10 wins, finishing top 15, getting a bowl trophy are important things for a program. To me they outweigh name recognition of whoever we play.

Thank you for making this point. I'm glad Iowa has hit 9 wins but some people need to keep perspective.

Illinois and Nebraska are not good programs and Iowa had their hands full with both of them. Nebraska flat outplayed Iowa for 3 quarters last week.

Iowa couldn't move the ball with any consistency against either team. And their DLs are some of the worst in the nation. Iowa's DL really struggled with both teams running games as well.

After watching those games, you have to living in a black and gold world to think Iowa can hang with Alabama.

College football is a week to week game. Suggesting Iowa would get blown out because they played poorly one week in October doesn’t translate into how they would play another week.

Alabama could blow them out, but this isn’t the usual alabama team. I don’t see Iowa winning, but let’s remember Iowa loss to North Dakota state and beat #2 Michigan about 6 weeks apart.

College football is a week to week game. Suggesting Iowa would get blown out because they played poorly one week in October doesn’t translate into how they would play another week.

Alabama could blow them out, but this isn’t the usual alabama team. I don’t see Iowa winning, but let’s remember Iowa loss to North Dakota state and beat #2 Michigan about 6 weeks apart.

This is a fair point. However 2 things that weren't week to week were Iowa's run D (6th in the B1G) and Iowa's offensive scoring.

I said this in another post, Iowa is a very talented, but flawed team. I think their talent was so good they overcame their flaws (mostly coaching) to win 9 games. However doing that against the B1G West is much easier than vs Saban. He'll use those flaws to bury you.

Personally I love the idea of Iowa facing Bama in a bowl. That would be awesome. Nothing to lose. They'll be expected to lose and big dogs and who knows...maybe Iowa is hungrier. It could be a spring board for our program. A win over Bama? I mean, it wouldn't be likely, but ya never know. That would be an ideal match up IMO.

He'll use those flaws to bury you.

I can see Saban watching Iowa's defensive tape. "Howdy Ho, Mr. Numero 28. Every single time Waddle gets passed off to you in a cover 2, a long ball will launched in his direction. The good news for you, son, is if you can manage to stay in the frame, you will be shown on a lot of highlight tapes during the NFL draft in a few years."

Personally I love the idea of Iowa facing Bama in a bowl. That would be awesome. Nothing to lose. They'll be expected to lose and big dogs and who knows...maybe Iowa is hungrier. It could be a spring board for our program. A win over Bama? I mean, it wouldn't be likely, but ya never know. That would be an ideal match up IMO.

I think, if we got Bama, all things considered (and won) it would be better than any bowl Kirk has won (and played in), and even possibly a better match up than any Big Ten team potentially playing in the Rose Bowl this year. It would be like playing a playoff team/typical championship team....just not in the playoffs. I agree, it would be a tremendous game for our program and a tremendous win for our program if we won that game. Outside of Ohio St, Iowa would hit the jackpot in bowl games this year with a dream match up against Bama.

Alabama would absolutely destroy us in every phase of the game.

Not that I completely disagree with you on this, but you bat like sub .200 on your hot takes on here so now I'm looking at it a little differently.

As with anything else in life, you see things how you want to see things. It's your bias.
Thank you for making this point. I'm glad Iowa has hit 9 wins but some people need to keep perspective.

Illinois and Nebraska are not good programs and Iowa had their hands full with both of them. Nebraska flat outplayed Iowa for 3 quarters last week.

Iowa couldn't move the ball with any consistency against either team. And their DLs are some of the worst in the nation. Iowa's DL really struggled with both teams running games as well.

After watching those games, you have to living in a black and gold world to think Iowa can hang with Alabama.

If only football worked this way....

I’m not a big SEC hype guy either. The bottom of that conference stinks. But as I’ve mentioned Bama is a whole different animal.

I’d like to play Florida in the Citrus. I think they are overrated, but it would still be a tough game for us. We haven’t played them in several years.

I personally think 10 wins, finishing top 15, getting a bowl trophy are important things for a program. To me they outweigh name recognition of whoever we play.

Good points. Though I hope who ever gets bama catches them thinking about next year.

Who even coaches florida ?

Exactly, zero to lose. It is not for a title and not for the playoff. Just a game. Let it all out.

But we do lose something. A chance (for almost all intents and purposes) at a 10 win season, finishing top 15 nationally, winning a bowl trophy. I just don’t understand this logic that if we happen to be on the same football field as Alabama it’s somehow great for the program.

But we do lose something. A chance (for almost all intents and purposes) at a 10 win season, finishing top 15 nationally, winning a bowl trophy. I just don’t understand this logic that if we happen to be on the same football field as Alabama it’s somehow great for the program.

Do you think those players in the locker room would love a shot at Alabama or do you think they’d be more motivated to play a weaker 7-5 team?

As a fan I want to see them match up against Alabama. This is the first year in a while that Alabama looks beatable and I’d speculate the Alabama players won’t be all that thrilled to be playing in the Citrus Bowl.

Latest posts