Wait...so could we end up playing Bama in the Citrus now

I just don’t think you guys understand the kind of athletes that Bama has at WR this year. Not every Bama team has been built this way historically. They have three potential top 2 round picks at WR. Iowa got torched by a true freshman from Purdue. Iowa got torched by Minny’s passing attack.

I love our hawks and our defense, but part of our scoring defense is our style of play.

I want a bowl game we have a shot to win. I’d play Florida. We would get hammered by Bama and anyone who says otherwise has their head in the sand.

Talk about a game Iowa would be all in for. Players and coaches. And Bama wouldn't be remotely interested being in. Folks every year talk about games where some teams just don't want to be there.. Well this would be a pretty classic case of that. Between Bama kids that might sit it out for the draft and their mindset I'd like our chances. Is that this Saturday or Sunday we'll find out?

Talk about a game Iowa would be all in for. Players and coaches. And Bama wouldn't be remotely interested being in. Folks every year talk about games where some teams just don't want to be there.. Well this would be a pretty classic case of that. Between Bama kids that might sit it out for the draft and their mindset I'd like our chances. Is that this Saturday or Sunday we'll find out?

Yeah, this is my take as well. Bama would not want to be there. Like that game where they played Utah and Andre Smith showed up like 30 pounds overweight with a severe case of gynecomastia.

I just don’t think you guys understand the kind of athletes that Bama has at WR this year. Not every Bama team has been built this way historically. They have three potential top 2 round picks at WR. Iowa got torched by a true freshman from Purdue. Iowa got torched by Minny’s passing attack.

I love our hawks and our defense, but part of our scoring defense is our style of play.

I want a bowl game we have a shot to win. I’d play Florida. We would get hammered by Bama and anyone who says otherwise has their head in the sand.
In fairness David Bell is a hell of a talent at Purdue (everybody wanted him including us) and MNs receivers are legit too. NFL caliber all of them I think. Sure Bamas are 1st round NFL level guys but without Tua how scary are they? I'd love to see the matchup myself. Bring it on

While I would like to relax on bowl day and watch Iowa beat a team without stress, I also would really like to see Iowa play a team like Bama. It would be a great barometer of where we are as a program and with a month to prepare, it would be cool to see what we come up with on both sides of the ball.

It would be a great barometer of where we are as a program and with a month to prepare, it would be cool to see what we come up with on both sides of the ball.

It would not be a good barometer. Whoever gets Bama this year will get them with the backup QB, a ton of missing starters and probably 70% effort. If you want a barometer against Bama, it has to be in one of those early season games in Charlotte, Florida, Dallas or Atlanta.

It would not be a good barometer. Whoever gets Bama this year will get them with the backup QB, a ton of missing starters and probably 70% effort. If you want a barometer against Bama, it has to be in one of those early season games in Charlotte, Florida, Dallas or Atlanta.

Yeah, cause Saban is a quitter. Kids don't want to win either. Injuries are part of the game. They have had the backup in for a number of games now.

In fairness David Bell is a hell of a talent at Purdue (everybody wanted him including us) and MNs receivers are legit too. NFL caliber all of them I think. Sure Bamas are 1st round NFL level guys but without Tua how scary are they? I'd love to see the matchup myself. Bring it on
Are you somehow under the impression that Bama’s backup QB is a no name scrub? He just went for 335 yards and 4 TDs at Auburn in the Iron Bowl.

I remember when we played LSU with Odell Beckham (he had 2 receptions).

Do not agree at all.

While I would like to relax on bowl day and watch Iowa beat a team without stress, I also would really like to see Iowa play a team like Bama. It would be a great barometer of where we are as a program and with a month to prepare, it would be cool to see what we come up with on both sides of the ball.
We have a barometer of where Iowa is every year when we play Wisconsin. That’s the level we are trying to get to and we aren’t there yet.

Bama, Clemson, and Georgia are on a while different level folks, and that’s not Iowa’s fault they just simply can’t recruit like that.

I’ve been one of the most positive posters here in terms of where Iowa football is and what I believe to be an improving talent level, but I also understand that Alabama is a completely different animal and getting whacked by them does nothing for us as a program.

A lot of dumbasses in here think if we even played Bama, it wouldn't be a shell of a team. Most those men that can go pro will do so and they will not be playing in the bowl game this year NO MATTER WHO they play.

They're there to win national championships, not a bunch of fruit, cheese crackers or shitty DVDs out of a box painted red.

Bama, Clemson, and Georgia are on a while different level folks,

Georgia always and forever will be choke jobs. They have done it every year for over 20 years now.

Last edited:
Are you somehow under the impression that Bama’s backup QB is a no name scrub? He just went for 335 yards and 4 TDs at Auburn in the Iron Bowl.
I'm sure he's a talented passer too. But Auburns D isn't what ours is is it? I'll put our front 7 up against about anyones this year. I wouldn't bet the mortgage on us beating them or anything. But I'm not scared to find out. I think we'd give them a fight

Do not agree at all.
Well that’s great you’re entitled to your opinion, but in my opinion you’re wrong. Do you realize how dumb it sounds that we just squeaked by Illinois and Nebraska and now we want to play Alabama? That would be like Minny fans saying we are ready for the playoffs after knocking off PSU only to inevitably lose to Iowa and UW and fall to 18th in the rankings. If Minny has Texas A&M’s schedule they’d have 5 losses.

Iowa would be a three TD underdog against Bama, and more often than not Vegas knows what they are talking about.

Yeah of course they have some studs - but I still think Iowa's d line would give hawks a fighting chance. If there was a year we'd prefer to be matched up against Bama, itd be this one. And if you're able to upset them, it looks a lot better to recruits than beating a USC that hasn't been respected in a while.

Well that’s great you’re entitled to your opinion, but in my opinion you’re wrong. Do you realize how dumb it sounds that we just squeaked by Illinois and Nebraska and now we want to play Alabama? That would be like Minny fans saying we are ready for the playoffs after knocking off PSU only to inevitably lose to Iowa and UW and fall to 18th in the rankings. If Minny has Texas A&M’s schedule they’d have 5 losses.

Iowa would be a three TD underdog against Bama, and more often than not Vegas knows what they are talking about.

ummm they wouldn't be a 21 point favorite... I'd guess 10. Too many gamblers would move that line taking the chance Alabama doesn't cover.

I'm sure he's a talented passer too. But Auburns D isn't what ours is is it? I'll put our front 7 up against about anyones this year. I wouldn't bet the mortgage on us beating them or anything. But I'm not scared to find out. I think we'd give them a fight

I wouldn't. Derrick Brown at tackle is the real deal. He single handedly gives them the edge over our front 7.

ummm they wouldn't be a 21 point favorite... I'd guess 10. Too many gamblers would move that line taking the chance Alabama doesn't cover.
This is truly amazing. Thank you for showing how clueless some of the group of posters in the “we want bama” group really are.

This is truly amazing. Thank you for showing how clueless some of the group of posters in the “we want bama” group really are.

I agree with him. Vegas isn't going to put Iowa at +21 against just about anyone.
What was the spread against Michigan? PSU?