Villanova game thread

It's men versus boys. Nova is more athletic & quicker than the Hawks. Embarrassing for the seniors. Gesell has been okay, but the other seniors have stunk up the joint. The four seniors have nine points, six turnovers & six fouls.

I can honestly say that's the worst half of basketball I've ever seen. This includes the Lickliter years.

We need to get more athletic. It's as simple as that. We have no lateral quickness and limited explosiveness. On offense, Villanova is just getting in our grill and we can't shake them. On Defense, we haven't been able to make them uncomfortable in the least.

Seniors playing scared.
Seniors playing with no toughness.
How can you start over 100 games (Woodbury and Gasell) and look this frazzled.
Sorry, no way Uthoff is NBA material, based on what we've seen the last 6 weeks.
Clemmons looked like he wanted to commit 2 fouls, to sit on the bench.

Baer > Woodbury
Williams is not much dropoff, if at all, from Clemmons.
Gasell. My, I thought he'd be something special after this freshman year, but like most Iowa QBs under Ferentz, they just don't get better with time, and tend to regress.

Another opportunity on a national stage to make a statement. Another embarrassing obliteration. I wonder if we'll ever get there.

I agree. Clark Kellogg said it best it's an Iowa team that looks incapable of any fight. That's a kind way of saying your team sux. No heart. YOu have to play D with heart.

Truth. Villanova is shooting really well, but how about we play some defense. Shooters wide open, no hands in face, very little rebounding. The lack of effort from this team is really frustrating.

Is Villanova playing over aggressive D and getting away with some stuff? Sure. Then why we can't we show some fight and play the hardest defense we can?

Can't believe how soft this team is.

Might as well get experience for guys who will be around. The seniors brought us back from the dead but they apparently are done playing for Iowa today.

5 years from now hopefully that's how we will look at this group.

How do you allow your team to come out with average effort. NOva just is out everythinging us. Kids and coaching staff should be ashamed to go out this way.

Iowa is SOFT on both sides of the ball.

Fran has to coach D, which is obvious he is not. Zone? Really the f'n zone which has you sag off the shooter? That works when they don't have shooters (but not even that doesn't work most of the time). They have to go M2M and get up in the grill with face guarding and bumping.

Iowa can't play through the contact on the offensive side of the ball either. They pick up the dribble or just get shell shocked.

This team played well at the beginning of the year when the refs were whistle happy with hand checks, bumping and holds. Now that they have swallowed the whistles you have to CHANGE as well. Fran has not done a good job in this respect. No change!

They could hang 30-50 points on us.

We need to get more athletic. It's as simple as that. We have no lateral quickness and limited explosiveness. On offense, Villanova is just getting in our grill and we can't shake them. On Defense, we haven't been able to make them uncomfortable in the least.

More athletic? You really don't need athleticism to compete with teams in college basketball. I mean look at UNI. Do you really think that UNI is anywhere near the same level as Texas athletically? If what you mean by "more athletic" is "more heart" or "more effort" or "more fight," then I wholeheartedly agree. I'm not saying that athleticism is never relevant to the outcome of a game, but athleticism really isn't the difference here. Can you REALLY tell me that this would have happened to UNI?

Fran has been trying very hard to play finesse ball since he's been at Iowa when he should have been recruiting athletic bruisers. I really don't see Iowa ever winning more than one game in the tourney with Fran at the helm. Bummer. :(

Latest posts