Uh Oh

i didn't say that. but if the "free speech" was correct and accurate, then punishment received for that free speech is wrong. certainly, you agree with that.

I don't at all. If my boss makes some bad hires, and I got on Facebook and say, hey, my boss makes terrible hires, especially Rick in accounting, I'm probably going to get fired.

Stat sheet stuffer, including TOs with 7 in the losing effort. ;)
From a guy at the game, most of the turnovers weren't his doing. Apparently, some of his teammates can't catch a pass. He also had 4 steals and that means he took sole ownership of 4A's lead in all-time steals.

You do realize he had a 2 to 1 Assist/TO ratio last year, right? Also, North just beat IC West in a scrimmage the other day.

From a guy at the game, most of the turnovers weren't his doing. Apparently, some of his teammates can't catch a pass. He also had 4 steals and that means he took sole ownership of 4A's lead in all-time steals.

You do realize he had a 2 to 1 Assist/TO ratio last year, right? Also, North just beat IC West in a scrimmage the other day.

Yes, I'm well aware of his stats. I'm not playing your game any further. Just had to poke the bear once. :cool:

He asked why Iowa can't get any good recruits when Phil got three in his first year and we got Dailey who is dribbling with his head down. And he said God.

Honestly, that's a really good question that should be asked to both of our highly paid faces of Iowa athletics, and of their boss. It's refreshing to hear actual criticism. There's a distinct lack of it in Iowa media, and I think the U needs more of it, not less.

Sorry, but you don't say ANYthing like that with a headset on. That was an attack on the player, questioning his effort, etc. Hansen didn't really say anything egregious, but Dolph certainly did.

Part of his job is to support the team/players/staff as a "public face". If they can fire Podolak for something outside the scope of his actual job, then Dolph should be held equally accountable for doing it DURING his job.

Gotta love message board fans. If one of us says something negative about Fran or God forbid...a player, we're "haters" or Cyclone trolls. But if Dolph says it....you guys rally to his defense.
Well....I'm making a stand. Right here, right now. Gary Dolphin is a hater and closet Clown troll. How dare he???? Quick, gather the torches and the pitch forks.

Right there with ya. Forkin' up as I type this!

Dolph and Gary aren't media. They are mouthpieces for the university. You would never expect to hear that from any radio team in the country.

I'm a Reds fan. Marty and Thom Brennaman are frequently critical of players and management. Marty is a Hall of Fame broadcaster, so he has a lot of pull, but he's most definitely "media" even though he is a mouthpiece of the Reds. The Cardinals broadcast team also says a lot of critical things. Penn State's broadcasters and Michigan's broadcasters also say critical things on air.

Broadcasters should have the same freedom of speech as anyone else. They should also be aware that what they say has consequences, like being fired.

I find the idea that they cannot say something critical of the University unethical. It is a malicious application of Iowa Nice that is detrimental to the success of Iowa athletics, and has contributed to the malaise in the department under Gary Barta. Not enough people ask questions that are pointed. There's too much power in the department to let it operate unchecked.

It isn't slanderous to call a spade a spade, which is what Gary did.

Being critical of recruiting and comparing it to Pitt's players is one thing and on the surface was no big deal. He may have crossed the line when singling out Maishe Dailey. That may end up being the problem, regardless of if the statement were accurate or not.

^^This^^

If I'm Dailey, every time I get near Dolph, I put my head down and plow ahead.

Sorry, but you don't say ANYthing like that with a headset on. That was an attack on the player, questioning his effort, etc. Hansen didn't really say anything egregious, but Dolph certainly did.

Part of his job is to support the team/players/staff as a "public face". If they can fire Podolak for something outside the scope of his actual job, then Dolph should be held equally accountable for doing it DURING his job.

If you can't say something nice, don't say it at all. Just follow orders. You never criticize anyone at your job do you?

If you can't say something nice, don't say it at all. Just follow orders. You never criticize anyone at your job do you?

No, I don't criticize anyone at my job. I offer input, I accept input, etc., but no, I don't call people out like that. It's counterproductive.

i can understand why fran would be unhappy about this because he now has problem to manage. he could use this as motivation or the team could go the other way. an unwanted problem to have.

however, free speech is free speech and if barta does anything to reprimand or otherwise punish hansen/dolph, then barta needs to be run out of town. seriously, it's free speech. that's one of the things this whole country was founded on. barta, needs to tread lightly.

Free speech does not = consequence free speech... especially in your place of employment.

No, I don't criticize anyone at my job. I offer input, I accept input, etc., but no, I don't call people out like that. It's counterproductive.

I don't at all. If my boss makes some bad hires, and I got on Facebook and say, hey, my boss makes terrible hires, especially Rick in accounting, I'm probably going to get fired.

True. But if it's the truth, the employee not performing might get fired too. Maybe the boss too. Which will end up making the organization more efficient, assuming everyone is replaced by someone competent.

Iowa can punish Dolph. It's within their power. I don't think they should, because I believe burying their head in the sand to be more damaging than an accidentally broadcast criticism of a poor performance by a player.

To Barta, it doesn't matter how bad your football or basketball teams can be (like 0-20) you don't dare bad mouth them in any way because it's also a negative reflection on Gary. According to Gutless Gary, no matter what, as fans we should just be happy and honored to be Iowa fans under his leadership, no matter how bad things can be, keep our mouths shut, buy tickets and merchandise..

I could really do without Dolph,........and this was before last night. What an awkward situation now. Will see how the coaches view Dolph from now on. Wonder if he will be let go. They should let him go and shove Chuck Long in that role.
His lisp drives me nuts, I won't listen to him, he's boring as well.