Uh Oh

Being critical of recruiting and comparing it to Pitt's players is one thing and on the surface was no big deal. He may have crossed the line when singling out Maishe Dailey. That may end up being the problem, regardless of if the statement were accurate or not.

WTF is Chris Hassel and why do we care?

He’s an espn guy who is a huge Iowa fan. He’s making fun of the ESPN crew on the game last night for doing a horrible job pronouncing Iowa players names.

He's actually not at ESPN anymore, he was laid off recently with all that reshuffling. he's now at CBS sports doing a lot of online type coverage and play by play. He's a good dude and a huge Iowa homer. During Iowa's 2015 football season he was the lone guy on ESPN supporting Iowa's run towards the CFP. Everyone else at ESPN was basically making fun of him for defending Iowa

He asked why Iowa can't get any good recruits when Phil got three in his first year and we got Dailey who is dribbling with his head down. And he said God.

Honestly, that's a really good question that should be asked to both of our highly paid faces of Iowa athletics, and of their boss. It's refreshing to hear actual criticism. There's a distinct lack of it in Iowa media, and I think the U needs more of it, not less.

I am lost here...who is Phil? Do you mean Jeff Capel?

Listening to the audio wasn't really bad at all. Except maybe the way he said Maishe's name. He's completely right though...how does Pitt land all these athletic freshman and Fran can never seem to land any? Pitt went from 8-14 and 0-18 in their conference to basically turning their program completely around in one year.

Its not location either. Iowa State never has issues recruiting athletic guards. Its a valid question to be asking, and if Fran gets mad about it that's on him

Listening to the audio wasn't really bad at all. Except maybe the way he said Maishe's name. He's completely right though...how does Pitt land all these athletic freshman and Fran can never seem to land any? Pitt went from 8-14 and 0-18 in their conference to basically turning their program completely around in one year.

Its not location either. Iowa State never has issues recruiting athletic guards. Its a valid question to be asking, and if Fran gets mad about it that's on him
Fran getting mad, what are the odds on that?

I say "so what". Their comments were very accurate and if you can't take a little criticism you really aren't trying to improve. It's probably no worse than what 90% of us on this board would say sometime during the year. Hopefully with Toussaint coming in next year we address the problem they were referring to. If anyone should be reassigned, it's the engineer who left the mic open during the commercial.
I don't disagree with this, except, you know, the media is Iowa's puppy dog.
Not if or when, just how high, etc.

I want more Connor. He's our best guard by a wide margin./QUOTE]
Point guard, yes. Best guard, no.

When Bohannon can get open looks and doesn't have to force the ball, he's the best one on this team. That's one of the many reasons this team has needed someone up top for the last two years.

McCaffery and Bohannon playing at the same time is a situation where the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

A lot of "athletic" players dont want to come play with a bunch of white guys from iowa probably. I would play football at Grambling if it was my only choice, but I'm not sure I would pick there first.

i can understand why fran would be unhappy about this because he now has problem to manage. he could use this as motivation or the team could go the other way. an unwanted problem to have.

however, free speech is free speech and if barta does anything to reprimand or otherwise punish hansen/dolph, then barta needs to be run out of town. seriously, it's free speech. that's one of the things this whole country was founded on. barta, needs to tread lightly.

Being critical of recruiting and comparing it to Pitt's players is one thing and on the surface was no big deal. He may have crossed the line when singling out Maishe Dailey. That may end up being the problem, regardless of if the statement were accurate or not.

i didn't hear what was said so my general statement is that dolph and bobby are perfectly welcome to their opinions and by "singling" out a player should not be relevant. if the comments were actual opinion/critique of his play specific to the immediate action on the floor, i don't see the big deal.

Dear God, free speech doesn't protect you from the consequences of what you say.

i didn't say that. but if the "free speech" was correct and accurate, then punishment received for that free speech is wrong. certainly, you agree with that.

i can understand why fran would be unhappy about this because he now has problem to manage. he could use this as motivation or the team could go the other way. an unwanted problem to have.

however, free speech is free speech and if barta does anything to reprimand or otherwise punish hansen/dolph, then barta needs to be run out of town. seriously, it's free speech. that's one of the things this whole country was founded on. barta, needs to tread lightly.

Free speech doesn't apply when you're a paid shill of a basketball program and your sole job is to be a homer and say good things about them.

edit: I don't mean that as a knock on Dolph. It is his job however

Latest posts