Uh Oh

i
however, free speech is free speech and if barta does anything to reprimand or otherwise punish hansen/dolph, then barta needs to be run out of town. seriously, it's free speech. that's one of the things this whole country was founded on. barta, needs to tread lightly.
You gotta brush up on your employment law.

Free speech might be free speech, but at-will employment is also at-will employment.

1) If Dolph got fired he's not the type of guy to go on a media tirade about it. He'd be super embarrassed and leave voluntarily with an apology.

2) He's obviously not an hourly employee and has some sort of contract. The easiest and most likely way to get rid of him (which isn't going to happen anyway) is to just pay him the rest of the way out and be done with it. He'd have no recourse at all then.

Bottom line, people can and do get fired for saying shit that their bosses don't like.

Free speech doesn't apply when you're a paid shill of a basketball program and your sole job is to be a homer and say good things about them.

edit: I don't mean that as a knock on Dolph. It is his job however

mo, free speech always applies. it's the consequence that can be debatable. i think criticism is always fair if it is germane and accurate. it is interesting that some folks are saying bobby gets a free pass but dolph shouldn't. that's a double standard. now, i stated i didn't hear any of the "comments" nor have i read a transcript of them. but if fran or any coach and gary cannot handle a criticism from an internal source, then there is a problem. did bobby and dolph make these comments as part of their broadcast or when they had every right to believe they were off the air? that matters from a "paid shill" perspective, as well.

You gotta brush up on your employment law.

Free speech might be free speech, but at-will employment is also at-will employment.

1) If Dolph got fired he's not the type of guy to go on a media tirade about it. He'd be super embarrassed and leave voluntarily with an apology.

2) He's obviously not an hourly employee and has some sort of contract. The easiest and most likely way to get rid of him (which isn't going to happen anyway) is to just pay him the rest of the way out and be done with it. He'd have no recourse at all then.

Bottom line, people can and do get fired for saying shit that their bosses don't like.

i am fully aware of that fry. but why wouldn't bobby hansen get fired also? again, i haven't heard any of the comments nor have i read them. but if they had ever reason to believe they were off the air, then that is different.

His lisp drives me nuts, I won't listen to him, he's boring as well.

Kind of funny this happen. Dolph was usually very overly supportive and nice when referring to the coaches or decisions they made, often harping on callers who question. Funny seeing the other, genuine side of him.

mo, free speech always applies. it's the consequence that can be debatable. i think criticism is always fair if it is germane and accurate. it is interesting that some folks are saying bobby gets a free pass but dolph shouldn't. that's a double standard. now, i stated i didn't hear any of the "comments" nor have i read a transcript of them. but if fran or any coach and gary cannot handle a criticism from an internal source, then there is a problem. did bobby and dolph make these comments as part of their broadcast or when they had every right to believe they were off the air? that matters from a "paid shill" perspective, as well.

Oh I don't think this stuff was any big deal at all and hope zero punishment comes from it. However, Dolph is being paid to promote Iowa basketball, he's not being paid to be Stephen A Smith or Colin Cowherd. If Dolph isn't doing the job he's being paid to do then its up to his employer how to react.

I'm just looking at it from a legal/technical standpoint is all

The clincher on Dolphins rant is that he is such an atrocious play by play guy - He got HIS own rant wrong...

It was Moss that dribbled into the double! Now, Maishe Dailey shows up at practice with all this shade from THE VOICE of THE IOWA HAWKEYES, and is like WTF dude.

THIS is the reason he should be canned, the guy is a total F up at his job.

Dolph is off base here........He should’ve said Moss too

Yeah. That is the ONLY thing wrong with his take. Dailey isn't the only one who dribbles head down into a double team. There's a lot of that wealth to spread around.

I can fault nothing about what he said. Sure, it was critical, but who cares. All that matters is that it was true.

And the truth, mfkers, shall set you free.

BTW if Fran is bent about this, it better only be because one player got named. It better not be because it was something that he oughta already know is true.

Having said all of that, I do believe that Fran's spawn will develop into an increasingly good true point guard. Kid has the skillz

That's what I thought. If that's the worst it gets, then he's fine. It's not something he always does and it's not something you can't hear coming from every row of Carver or every couch in front of the TV.

Yeah. You should listen to me watching an Iowa sporting event.

You'd think that these players are murdering children the way I peel the paint off the walls sometimes.

And the refs...those assholes might as well be flying jets into skyscrapers the way I talk about their, shall we say, visual challenges.

Listening to it was less offensive than reading it, IMO. He was paying more of a complement to Pitts guards ... who BTW, lost to Iowa an hour later. I don't think he was wrong in his assessment, but you could counter that Pitt probably wonders where they can get a 3 like Joe Wieskamp. I want more Connor. He's our best guard by a wide margin and the way he was used last night, didn't really give him any opportunities to get into the rhythm of the game.

Indeed. Fran's spawn needs to be playing PG all the time, and by all the time, I mean for 40 minutes.

i can understand why fran would be unhappy about this because he now has problem to manage. he could use this as motivation or the team could go the other way. an unwanted problem to have.

however, free speech is free speech and if barta does anything to reprimand or otherwise punish hansen/dolph, then barta needs to be run out of town. seriously, it's free speech. that's one of the things this whole country was founded on. barta, needs to tread lightly.
Your right to free speech ends at your employer’s door.

Weird situation. On one hand you don’t want to hear your commentary calling out your players. On the other hand these players are adults and dolph was saying the truth. We have never been able to recruit any guards with that athletic ability that Pitt showed last night...
I disagree about never. I was attending Iowa when Lonnie Lester was the point guard. That guy could flat out play. That being said, it has been a while since the Hawks have had a really good point guard.

This still doesn't make any sense, unless you want to start paying players. If you're advocating "creaning" players, then it's an altogether different conversation.

I don't care about Dolph ripping Fran. However, to rip Dailey by name, when he's simply doing his best, it's totally out of line. The only reason he's playing is because Fran hasn't recruited better players, which is on Fran.

I don't have a problem with honesty. I do have a problem with being needlessly callous, and that's exactly what this situation is. No player is getting fired from this program, especially mid-season.

I dont get the logic with the deciding factor on whether it's ok to rip someone is if they make money or not.

The clincher on Dolphins rant is that he is such an atrocious play by play guy - He got HIS own rant wrong...

It was Moss that dribbled into the double! Now, Maishe Dailey shows up at practice with all this shade from THE VOICE of THE IOWA HAWKEYES, and is like WTF dude.

THIS is the reason he should be canned, the guy is a total F up at his job.

Oh my God that's hilarious. I never made the connection. I was ranting way worse than Dolph after that play.

Dolphin as a baby......

th

Latest posts