Uh Oh

I heard it and it was about 60 seconds of open mike capturing a very candid conversation between Dolph and Bobby being critical or Fran's recruiting ability by both Bobby and Gary, normal off the air talk. A swipe at Dailey by Dolph which is the only thing he should apologize for. Fran will be butthurt. Suspensions for all or contract extensions. I'm predicting the former. Gary is on thin ice, Bobby took Iowa to a Final Four, Fran doesn't have that kind or cred with Iowa fans.

Last edited:
I heard it and it was about 60 seconds of open mike capturing a very candid conversation between Dolph and Bobby being critical or Fran's recruiting ability by both Bobby and Gary, normal off the air talk. A swipe at Dailey by Dolph which is the only thing he should apologize for. Fran will be butthurt. Suspensions for all or contract extensions. I'm predicting the former.
On one hand it's good to know that they can be critical/objective. On the other hand, it just proves how people won't speak the truth in order to keep their jobs.

He asked why Iowa can't get any good recruits when Phil got three in his first year and we got Dailey who is dribbling with his head down. And he said God.

Honestly, that's a really good question that should be asked to both of our highly paid faces of Iowa athletics, and of their boss. It's refreshing to hear actual criticism. There's a distinct lack of it in Iowa media, and I think the U needs more of it, not less.

Good for Dolph

He is just speaking about the elephant in the room. Fran has has difficulty with convincing actual PG to come to Iowa. Name me one PG who could break you down that has played at Iowa during Fran's tenure.

You can't.

Every other school seems to find one.
Not Iowa.

We do have Nicholas Baer, though. So there's that.

Weird situation. On one hand you don’t want to hear your commentary calling out your players. On the other hand these players are adults and dolph was saying the truth. We have never been able to recruit any guards with that athletic ability that Pitt showed last night...

I could really do without Dolph,........and this was before last night. What an awkward situation now. Will see how the coaches view Dolph from now on. Wonder if he will be let go. They should let him go and shove Chuck Long in that role.

Did Fran skip the post game interview over this? If so it proves he’s a big baby.
He may have not been aware of the situation yet, but there's been friction between the two before. Adam Woodbury's eye poking incident in the Maryland game being one. Don't remember if that game was before or after the Wisconsin game where Adam poked two players.

Listening to it was less offensive than reading it, IMO. He was paying more of a complement to Pitts guards ... who BTW, lost to Iowa an hour later. I don't think he was wrong in his assessment, but you could counter that Pitt probably wonders where they can get a 3 like Joe Wieskamp. I want more Connor. He's our best guard by a wide margin and the way he was used last night, didn't really give him any opportunities to get into the rhythm of the game.

Listening to it was less offensive than reading it, IMO. He was paying more of a complement to Pitts guards ... who BTW, lost to Iowa an hour later. I don't think he was wrong in his assessment, but you could counter that Pitt probably wonders where they can get a 3 like Joe Wieskamp. I want more Connor. He's our best guard by a wide margin and the way he was used last night, didn't really give him any opportunities to get into the rhythm of the game.
That's what I thought. If that's the worst it gets, then he's fine. It's not something he always does and it's not something you can't hear coming from every row of Carver or every couch in front of the TV.

I say "so what". Their comments were very accurate and if you can't take a little criticism you really aren't trying to improve. It's probably no worse than what 90% of us on this board would say sometime during the year. Hopefully with Toussaint coming in next year we address the problem they were referring to. If anyone should be reassigned, it's the engineer who left the mic open during the commercial.

Latest posts