Uh Oh

Dailey's defense on Xavier Johnson after he was shredding Iowa early was a key to the victory.

Without a doubt

Dailey's value is on defense. Kenyon Murrey also was excellent on D and wasn't being relied on to carry the scoring load. Dailey also is quick and helps against pressure to bring the ball across half court.....

Drake had a defensive stopper in Dolph Pullium, He was an essential starter and played on the team that almost beat Lou Alcindor and UCLA, a game that Kareem Abdul Jabbar said was one of the toughest in his career while playing for UCLA and in the NBA.....

:cool:

I hate that you have to feel bad for an opinion or a belief. That being said, id keep all opinions to myself if im around a microphone and im "kinda" working for the university. He and Bobby should get those 0-10 facial expression cards to show non-verbal pain level instead.View attachment 4604

But we wont be able to see the facial expressions

We might hear about them though

But not Atomic

:cool:

First and foremost, Dolph made his comments based on the assumption that it was a private conversation between him and his partner. He certainly is free to do so at any time...except when someone in the tech dept. at the radio station screwed up. He and Bobby have probably had more "candid" conversations than this one in the past. So, the villain here, if there is one, would be the tech at the station.

I don't have strong feelings about the quality of his work, because I really don't care. He has never been identified as an independent journalist in his role as the spokesperson for Football and Basketball. That is someone else's job description. I live in Wisconsin and have listened to their hired announcers and its the same deal: They are there to be positive spokespersons for the home team. Same around the Big Ten. Same in the NFL. (I listen to the Packer games on the radio quite a bit.)

Dolph needs, in my opinion, to have a sit down with Fran and Maishe. I listened to his post game apology on the radio Tuesday night, and he was a basket case about what had happened. His apology was detailed and in my view, totally sincere. He repeatedly said: "No excuses."

I seriously doubt that this incident will go down as a significant item in Iowa basketball history. Yawn.

I think there's a difference between criticism, some of it anonymous, on social media and a player on the team being singled out by the team's play-by-play voice.

Dolphin is essentially a member of the team. He travels with the team. He stays at the team hotel. He's employed by the university through Learfield. I would imagine the coaches and teammates are supporting Dailey. Nothing wrong with that.
Criticism from any outside source, even your own announcer, can sometimes galvanize a team and make them even closer.

Sometimes.

Dont you think the toughest thing (assuming he keeps his job) will be traveling with the team? He flies with them, same hotel, etc., and to have to do that with a team that probably doesn’t like you anymore and a coach that might feel the same way would just suck. I don’t know if I’d want to do it regardless of whether I got punished or not. Talk about a depressing work place. I’m thinking I’d apologize to MD and go separate ways. Dolph can’t be paycheck to paycheck after all these years.

We all know that Dailey and the rest of the team/staff would accept his apology at its face value, but in reality they’re still going to think he’s a dick. I don’t know about anyone else but I don’t want to be stuck on a plane or in a hotel for months with a group of dudes giving me the cold shoulder.

Might be time to just admit he effed up (not that he was necessarily wrong, just can’t really do that at work), and go retire to the golf course.
Former Chicago Cubs announcer Steve Stone was critical of several players in the booth during the 2004 season when they underachieved and missed postseason.

There was an ugly incident between pitcher Kent Mercker and Stone on a team bus that nearly had to be intervened. Team busses and planes can be lonely places for announcers when something like this happens. It was also Stone's, and Chip Caray's, last year in a Cubs broadcasting booth.

Dolph is a partially or fully retired bank executive in Dubuque. He's not hurting by any means.

He's not the best person in real life, not the worst. When he came to Dubuque Hempstead High School on career day in 1981 (when a certain poster was a high school sophomore and he was a local sports anchor) he was one of my first inspirations to study media in college. First journalism, then broadcasting.

Last edited:
UI Press Release:

OWA CITY, Iowa (Nov. 28, 2018) – Learfield, the exclusive multimedia rights holder for University of Iowa Athletics, today announced a two-game suspension for Hawkeyes’ men’s basketball play-by-play announcer Gary Dolphin. The suspension follows comments by Dolphin last night on the Hawkeye Radio Network men’s basketball broadcast during what should have been a commercial break in the Iowa-Pittsburgh game at Carver-Hawkeye Arena.

Dolphin, long-time voice of the Hawkeyes, is joined by color commentator Bobby Hansen on the basketball broadcasts, which are managed by Learfield. At the conclusion of last night’s game, Dolphin addressed the issue on the Hawkeye Radio Network. Following is an excerpt from his lengthy apology:

“We want to offer a public apology, and it won’t happen again. You have to assume there’s an open mic all the time, and that is no excuse. We said it. We own it. So our sincere apologies on behalf of the Hawkeye Radio Network to Coach McCaffery and his team.”

“Gary knows we are extremely disappointed in the comment he made about Maishe Dailey and the impact his remark had on our players and staff,” said Henry B. and Patricia B. Tippie Director of Athletics Chair Gary Barta. “The two game suspension is a result of those comments, as well as some ongoing tensions that have built up over the past couple of years. This time away from the microphone will allow a chance to work through some of these issues. I truly appreciate the time and energy Gary puts into promoting Hawkeye Athletics. I’m extremely proud of our student-athletes and coaches’ great start to the season. All focus and attention is on beating Wisconsin Friday night.”

“We unfortunately encountered a technical error at our network broadcast operations center that allowed off-air comments to be aired during a portion of the first-half commercial break,” said Learfield Vice President-Broadcast Operations Tom Boman. “We thoroughly reviewed the situation here at our Broadcast Ops center to ensure this doesn’t happen again, and we’ve also been communicating closely with Gary Barta and his administration, the entire broadcast team and our local Hawkeye Sports Properties staff.”

Dolphin’s replacement for the games on Friday and Monday will be announced when finalized.

UI Press Release:

OWA CITY, Iowa (Nov. 28, 2018) – Learfield, the exclusive multimedia rights holder for University of Iowa Athletics, today announced a two-game suspension for Hawkeyes’ men’s basketball play-by-play announcer Gary Dolphin. The suspension follows comments by Dolphin last night on the Hawkeye Radio Network men’s basketball broadcast during what should have been a commercial break in the Iowa-Pittsburgh game at Carver-Hawkeye Arena.

Dolphin, long-time voice of the Hawkeyes, is joined by color commentator Bobby Hansen on the basketball broadcasts, which are managed by Learfield. At the conclusion of last night’s game, Dolphin addressed the issue on the Hawkeye Radio Network. Following is an excerpt from his lengthy apology:

“We want to offer a public apology, and it won’t happen again. You have to assume there’s an open mic all the time, and that is no excuse. We said it. We own it. So our sincere apologies on behalf of the Hawkeye Radio Network to Coach McCaffery and his team.”

“Gary knows we are extremely disappointed in the comment he made about Maishe Dailey and the impact his remark had on our players and staff,” said Henry B. and Patricia B. Tippie Director of Athletics Chair Gary Barta. “The two game suspension is a result of those comments, as well as some ongoing tensions that have built up over the past couple of years. This time away from the microphone will allow a chance to work through some of these issues. I truly appreciate the time and energy Gary puts into promoting Hawkeye Athletics. I’m extremely proud of our student-athletes and coaches’ great start to the season. All focus and attention is on beating Wisconsin Friday night.”

“We unfortunately encountered a technical error at our network broadcast operations center that allowed off-air comments to be aired during a portion of the first-half commercial break,” said Learfield Vice President-Broadcast Operations Tom Boman. “We thoroughly reviewed the situation here at our Broadcast Ops center to ensure this doesn’t happen again, and we’ve also been communicating closely with Gary Barta and his administration, the entire broadcast team and our local Hawkeye Sports Properties staff.”

Dolphin’s replacement for the games on Friday and Monday will be announced when finalized.
Gary costs the University $6.5 million for discriminating against employees based on their gender and sexual orientation. Gary was not suspended or fined in any way.

Dolph complains about the basketball's lack of success in recruiting guards. Dolph suspended 2 games.

It's too bad Dolph wasn't working for the athletic dept, cuz Gary wouldn't even document it.

Now, let's get real. What is more likely? The tech person made an honest mistake or the tech person intentionally kept GD & BH on the air?

UI Press Release:

There has to be some type of lawsuit in the works for these egregious words, whatever they were. Probably major emotional trauma, PTSD, something.

Gary costs the University $6.5 million for discriminating against employees based on their gender and sexual orientation. Gary was not suspended or fined in any way.

Dolph complains about the basketball's lack of success in recruiting guards. Dolph suspended 2 games.

It's too bad Dolph wasn't working for the athletic dept, cuz Gary wouldn't even document it.

Now, let's get real. What is more likely? The tech person made an honest mistake or the tech person intentionally kept GD & BH on the air?
Honest mistake. I worked in the field twelve years, plus my college experience. Anyone can fall asleep at the switch, especially in radio where the odds of a floor director with communication to the control room or truck are less than in TV.

All that said, the first thing they teach you in intro to broadcasting is to treat all mics as if they are live.

Listen to any radio station. You occasionally hear a live voice over the music or during a commercial. It does happen.

Dolph has been doing this for over forty years. He should have known better.

From the above release:

“Gary knows we are extremely disappointed in the comment he made about Maishe Dailey and the impact his remark had on our players and staff,” said Henry B. and Patricia B. Tippie Director of Athletics Chair Gary Barta. “The two game suspension is a result of those comments, as well as some ongoing tensions that have built up over the past couple of years. This time away from the microphone will allow a chance to work through some of these issues.”

I have never been in the business but i promise you if there is a microphone anywhere in sight im minding my P's and Q's. Its like being in church g_ddammit!

From the above release:

“Gary knows we are extremely disappointed in the comment he made about Maishe Dailey and the impact his remark had on our players and staff,” said Henry B. and Patricia B. Tippie Director of Athletics Chair Gary Barta. “The two game suspension is a result of those comments, as well as some ongoing tensions that have built up over the past couple of years. This time away from the microphone will allow a chance to work through some of these issues.”
There was a very tense exchange between Dolph and Fran a few years ago regarding Adam Woodbury's eye poking incidents.

Wouldn't be surprised if other issues are simmering.

It couldn't have made Hansen too happy the night Fran kicked the scorer's table and knocked Bobby's game notes all over the place.

From the above release:

Gee Rob... it’s like you are using their words to insinuate that the suspension isn’t over this gaff.

I bet Fran had terser words for Dailey’s ball security. If Fran originated this suspension, we all should be upset. The head coach has a lot of duties that don’t have anything to do with what’s said on the radio.

"Ongoing tensions that have built up over the past couple of years ... "

hmmm-gif-8.gif

There was a very tense exchange between Dolph and Fran a few years ago regarding Adam Woodbury's eye poking incidents.

Wouldn't be surprised if other issues are simmering.

It couldn't have made Hansen too happy the night Fran kicked the scorer's table and knocked Bobby's game notes all over the place.

That was one time. I’ve heard there have been others. I’m at the games so I don’t hear the radio interviews.

Latest posts